Feist
Let It Die

by Zenith Lazerstorm USER (19 Reviews)
August 21st, 2012 | 4 replies

Release Date: 2005 | Tracklist

I first ran into Leslie Feist's work upon the release of the Feistodon split 7" on Record Store Day 2012 (Fiest covering "Black Tongue" by Mastodon and Mastodon covering "A Commotion" by Feist). I was immediately taken by Feist's fresh and interesting take on a song I am quite fond of. It just made me want to check out her original work.

And here I am.

The first thing I notice are Feist's vocals. She reminds me greatly of a seasoned jazz singer, but she has a much wider range of ideas that she incorporates into her vocal performances than an average jazz singer. She incorporates some folk stylings in certain preformances ("When I Was a Young Girl"), and even some slow funk which produces one of the most memorable vocal lines on the album ("One Evening"). She is able to create great emotion in her voice while maintaining that jazzy subtlety that she has clearly mastered. I can really feel the somber heartache on "Now at Last", and that playful innocence on "Secret Heart". And more into the subtlety of the vocals, harmonization adds even more interest when it is incorporated. "Leisure Suite" and "Gatekeeper" are better for their incorporation of backing vocals. She also has a nice range, and it doesn't sound strained when she reaches the heights of that range. Overall the vocals on this album are fresh and interesting, while maintaining a good relationship with their influences.

But I can't discount the instrumental side of Feist's music. I immediately think of the fusion of a wide range of influences that made Steely Dan great. I get a lot of jazz, some funk, folk, and a little r&b. On top of the standards of guitar, bass, piano, and drums, the wind and string arrangements that are added add a different dimension to Feist's songs. The most prominent use of wind and strings appear on "Let It Die" and "Leisure Suite", and these songs are all the better for it. Another quite interesting aspect of the instrumental side of things is the use of campy late 70's funk keyboards. It dates the music ironically in a way that makes it seem fresh and new, while piled on top of all the other elements to the Feist sound. In the end, it is the fusion of influences that makes this album stand out, as well as the wide range of instruments incorporated into the musical arrangements.

Overall this album is one of subtleties, in both instrumentation and vocal performance. An enjoyable listen all around.

Standout Tracks - "One Evening", "Gatekeeper", "Inside and Out"

Prism Cloud Golden StarEmma Ruth Rundle Some Heavy Ocean
Mogwai Come On Die YoungJoe Hisaishi Princess Mononoke
Haunted Horses WatcherLymbyc Systym Symbolyst

breakingthefragile
August 21st 2012

You have a lot of great obversations and descriptions that you express very well in your writing, especially for your first review. I'm not really a fan of the first person persepctive from which this is written, it makes the review read too much like a conversation. Still, I get the impression that you have a very keen attention to detail, which shows a lot of potential, so have a pos from me. Allow me to say congrats on your first review, and welcome to the site. I look forward to reading more from you in the future.

neurisis17
August 21st 2012

Thanks very much, that means a lot.

dylantheairplane
June 21st 2013

This is probably the best Feist album. Her voice sounds so much better on songs like Gatekeeper than when she does that faux-lofi vocal thing like on all of Metals

wacknizzle