Papa Roach
Old Friends from Young Years

good

by Ian USER (106 Reviews)
August 19th, 2012 | 41 replies

Release Date: 1997 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Frenetic guitar riffs, audible bass, and Jacoby Shaddix going crazy.

Old Friends From Young Years is Papa Roach's first full-length album. This is one of those incredibly obscure first releases for a band that actually is worth giving a listen. You would not expect this to be the same band who made hits such as "Burn", "Scars", or "Getting Away With Murder". You may find it easier to connect a song such as "Last Resort" with this version of Papa Roach, but it would actually make more sense if this was HED P.E. or System Of A Down's rare first album.

Frenetic guitar riffs paired up with front-man Jacoby Shaddix's often inaudible, often crazed ramblings make for quite the entertaining album. Songs such as "Liquid Diet" seem more like the Papa Roach of future with Jacoby practicing his singing, screaming, and rapping. "Liquid Diet" also shows the knack of writing hits, but at this point it is obvious Papa Roach was still learning cohesiveness. In addition, less than quality production could plausibly hinder (S.B.) newer fans from getting full enjoyment out of Old Friends. Although the production is not necessarily a weakness because the raw sound matches up with Papa Roach well and sometimes is refreshing rather than hearing what mainstream media would call 'clean' music. "Grrbrr" even sounds exactly like Post-Hardcore band BoySetsFire in the beginning, which brings me to what's probably my favorite part of the album. The fact that the bass work is in the mix high and makes the album flow is what makes this record digestible.

Jacoby's singing is definitely off-putting at times, but he is still impressive by just being all over the place screaming, singing, and providing nonsensical silliness. The bass stays consistent the whole time though and gives Old Friends it's own identity. The biggest flaw is not found in Old Friends, but in the band themselves. There is a lot of creativity found on Old Friends and that begs the question, "What the hell happened to Papa Roach?". Key members Jacoby and guitarist Jerry Horton have stayed in the band since this album and while Infest is great, the band consistently dumb themselves down with each release. So maybe that is the best thing that Old Friends From Young Years can offer. Old fans who hadn't heard this will definitely be pleased because this is not just some crappy first album made by kids. This represents everything Papa Roach could have developed to become System Of A Down's twin brother.

Z-Ro CocaineEmery The Weak's End
Linkin Park Living ThingsKrizz Kaliko Kickin' and Screamin'
Madina Lake From Them, Through Us, To YouBrand New The Devil and God Are Raging Inside Me

August 19th 2012

This needed a review so I thought I could provide.

sounds about right

Brostep
August 19th 2012

Wow, surprised that Papa Roach were actually ok at one point. I remember Metamorphosis was one of the first albums I
actually got when I was first really getting into music (yes, I'm young, don't rub it in) and I was severely disappointed that I'd
paid a full 10 dollars for that failure of an album.

Although I don't really think it's fair to take away from the album rating because of what the band became...

Digging: Nicki Minaj - The Pinkprint

Calc
August 19th 2012

Anytime I see someone knocking "mainstream media" anymore I just roll my eyes...

Digging: Maxwell August Croy and Sean Mccann - I

August 19th 2012

Can't tell if that's a cat's anus or a banana slice on the cover

Digging: Friendzone - Collection 1

truekebabpower
August 19th 2012

better than their new stuff, but it could certainly use some polish

@calc: well it is true

@trebor: yeah I have no idea man

mindleviticus

this band sucks ass

August 19th 2012

*this band sucks corporate ass

fix'd

blastOFFitsPARTYtime
August 19th 2012

To be fair, this is way better than their last few albums. Pos.

Apollo

nostalgia itt

for myself at least

me too bro me too

breakingthefragile
August 19th 2012

Back when they were good.

Digging: Molly Drake - Molly Drake

Sciroccu
August 19th 2012

Strange album, I enjoyed a few songs from this but that's all.
Very different from what they've done after...

Youtellme
August 19th 2012

Fuck this band, seriously.

August 19th 2012

ehh ill always have a nostalgic fondness of the band to a small degree

Youtellme
August 19th 2012

Yeah i think we all have that with some band.

But i never liked these guys, even during the days that i listened to nothing but Linkin Park
and Limp Bizkit and shit.

August 19th 2012

you to papa roach is me to limp bizkit it sounds like. except i can stand the last LP and EP

August 19th 2012

you think birdman is serious about ressurecting their career?

August 20th 2012

commercially you could argue papa roach hasn't really fallen yet