Pink Floyd
The Dark Side of the Moon

by Dragon_Prince USER (6 Reviews)
February 5th, 2006 | 19 replies | 5,786 views

Release Date: 1973 | Tracklist

Although it will be hard to make a better review then Med57, I will still give it a go. Instead of saying something like the tyranny of majority, it's better to say what the majority can do for you. If it wasn't for the majority, would Pink Floyd reach fame with Dark Side Of the Moon, if it wasn't for the majority it wouldn't be ranked high in every list. If it wasn't for the majority, many people wouldn't know this album, like me.

This album was originally named: "Eclipse: A Piece for Assorted Lunatics" referrers to someone being crazy(I will get to that later). Having sold more then 40 million copies. And having stood 741 weeks after each other in the bill board top 200, and even 30 years after itís release it has reached the billboard top 200. Itís been played live 3 times by other bands, including Dream Theater. And all this fame for only an album with a length of 43 minutes.

It's been over 3 decades since Dark Side Of The Moon was released, the follow up of Medle, is different than most people would have thought. Unlike Meddle this cd doesn't have a 20min song but you can look at this album as one whole. Everything fits in together and works together perfectly. From the starting song, Speak To Me, until the end, Eclipse, you get one great cd, with marvellous songs on it.

This is known as the first of the great four Pink Floyd albums, although Wish You Were Here, is known for itís high standard in guitar soloís and musicianship. Animals for the three great songs, with each has very good meanings and with great writer ship. And The Wall as being the best concept album ever together with The Whoís Tommy. Itís hard to say what makes this album better as the rest. And why this album always ranks up so high as the rest.

The reason why this album made it in mainstream is probably because of the songs are shorter, the singles Money and Time are listenable to people who arenít used to prog music, and still everything on this album remains beautiful.

After having said Money is very listenable to everyone, itís probably the weakest track on the cd. As a single itís great, but it doesnít fit the mood of this album. It has great soloís and a great sax. And off course the great 7/8 drum rhythm that makes it very enjoyable. But compared to the rest of the album itís weak. There are some songs that every artist/composer would get the chills from, songs like The Great Gig In The Sky would be a musical peak for everyoneís music career, everything is just so perfect. Builds up with Wright playing on the piano and when Claire Torry is screaming over the musical, itís just so perfect. It just shows how underrated Richard Wright actually is. Having said that there is an other Wright song that gives you the chills. Us And Them the longest song of the album with a length of 7:40, it builds up very slowly and shows how progressive rock is meant to be. Thereís a wonderful saxophone intro at the start and it looks like itíll be a very slow song. And when these lyrics kick in, Forward he cried, from the rear, and the front rank died Ö you hear the peak of the song, a very relaxing song indeed. Followed by Any Colour You Like having the same chemistry as Us And Them and usually seen as part of Us And Them.

I also mentioned Time being a favourite of the listeners. Well this one has a great reason. It starts of with ticking clocks until they go off. When everything is quiet, Nick Mason shows us a roto-tom solo. Again very meaningful lyrics of Roger Waters and a great solo from David Gilmour. The reason why this song works so good is probably every member worked on this one. A thing that wouldnít happen often. Now having mentioned the great songs of the album, there is also a beginning and an end. Letís begin with the beginning

The album builds up very slow, with just hearing a heartbeat, probably referring to being alive. And after that some random noises come in, which probably refers to a state of paranoia. After this Breathe comes in, a great track. If you put this cd on when you are in your bed, you will fell asleep here. Itís so relaxing, the guitar work is great. It can sooth everyone. Itís probably about being alive again, with the lines like Breathe, breathe in the air, donít be afraid to care When you are in the perfectly calm mood from Breathe, a strange track kicks in, On the Run itís strange, upbeat and you wouldnít listen to it, when not listening the album as a whole. Sometimes it gets annoying and you look at how long itís going to take for the next marvellous song.

After that you get the 4 songs(excluding Any Colour You Like). Well I mentioned the greatness of those songs, I havenít mentioned there parts in the album. Every song has one of the many problems in life. Time, Death, Money and War. Although you my not mention this in the beginning, there are very subtle lyrics for it. It just shows the brilliance of Waters.

Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time
Plans that either come to naught or half a page of scribbled lines

- Time

"And I am not frightened of dying, any time will do, I
don't mind. Why should I be frightened of dying?
There's no reason for it, you've gotta go sometime."
"I never said I was frightened of dying."

- The Great Gig In The Sky

Money it's a crime
Share it fairly but don't take a slice of my pie

- Money

Forward he cried from the rear
and the front rank died
And the General sat, as the lines on the map
moved from side to side

- Us And Them

Those lines are the brilliance of Watersí music, he does everything very subtle, and with this great variation of subjects. Everyone can relate to something on this album. And thatís another reason why this album has peaked so high, with all those subjects of life, thereís no one who can deny that they didnít face one of those subjects. But although everyone can relate to something itís hard to say what itís about, like David Gilmour said: "It's about life, isn't it?" Probably the only one who really would know the answer is Roger Waters.

And when all the killer tracks reviewed itís time to say something about the climax of the album. The last two songs make such a perfect end youíll scream for more. It starts of with Brain Damage it finishes the album, the person in the beginning has lost it completely, with lines like The Lunatic is on the grass, it might be referring to Roger Waters, whoís already started building itís wall and thinking the world is corrupt, what youíll see in the next three albums. But this song is really one of the finest musical moments, starts up slow but it gets itís peak at the chorus.
If you think this song was great the end will close it perfectly, a song called Eclipse, with lyrics that sum everything up about life. Itís probably a climax you wonít find on any other cd. Finishing with the lines, Thereís no dark side of the moon really, as a matter of fact itís all dark it will make you wonder what The Dark Side Of The Moon really is. Probably itís referring to madness, being at a place that doesnít exist. A place you will find more about in The Wall

Although this album hasnít got the peaks that, Meddle, Wish You Were Here, Animals and The Wall has. Itís got its fame for a reason. Itís an album everyone can relate to. Everyone can listen to. Almost everyone will have one song in this album which whom absolutely will love. For all those reasons I canít give this album anything else but a 5/5

Pink Floyd is:
David Gilmour: Guitar, vocals
Roger Waters: Bass, vocals, lyrics
Richard Wright: Keyboard, vocals
Nick Mason: Percussion, tape effects

With:
Lesley Duncan ó Vocals (background)
Doris Troy ó Vocals (background)
Dick Parry ó Saxophone
Barry St. John ó Vocals (background)
Liza Strike ó Vocals (background)
Clare Torry ó Vocals
George Hardie ó Illustrations, Sleeve Art
Jill Furmanosky ó Photography
David Sinclair ó Liner Notes in CD re-release

Porcupine Tree Lightbulb SunPorcupine Tree Fear of a Blank Planet
Red Hot Chili Peppers CalifornicationThe Police The Very Best of Sting & The Police
Green Day International Superhits
4.6

Starfcker
February 5th 2006

Excellent review. I liked how you pointed out certain lyrics on the album

February 5th 2006

Thank you please vote if you think this was wel written, I really did my best on this one.

Sepstrup
February 5th 2006

This was a good review, although there are some awkward sentences. Example

thereís no one who canít deny that they didnít face one of those problems

I don't even know what that means...

Dark Side of the Moon is easily a 5/5 album for me. It's probably my favourite Floyd album.

February 5th 2006

Hmm strange sentence indeed, I edited it.
Excuse me sometimes for the bad English *is only 16 and English is a foreign language for me*

Thank you for your comment This Message Edited On 02.05.06

kyrauga

Hell Yeah, I liked it!

Great album, certainly one of the greatest og all albums, and somehow it marks the beginning of Pink Floyd as most know them.

Thor
February 5th 2006

Excellent review, chum. Keep it up.

Storm In A Teacup
February 5th 2006

Excellent album. Some great songs are on here, I like Animals better though.

Med57
February 5th 2006

What's your first language, out of interest? Good review though, anyway. Obviously I disagree a bit with your opinions, but this is a good album, and I like how you use the quotes from songs as well. Keep it up.

February 5th 2006

I'm from the Netherlands. And this was my 3rd review. Gehe and quotes are needed with great writership ;)

Zebra
February 5th 2006

Great review. It was detailed and I enjoyed the lyric inserts.
My current favorites off the album are 'Breath' and 'The Great Gig in the Sky.' What makes this album so good is that there isn't a bad track, things flow very smoothly.

February 5th 2006

Gehe I agree, thanks for the good comments everyone and please vote if you think this review is good

July 20th 2006

Any more comments really worked hard on this one

Bron-Yr-Aur
July 20th 2006

It's a good review, especially if English isn't your primary language. But come on, no one can top Med's.

July 20th 2006

I know but I always like suggestions to make something I made better.

metallicaman8
July 20th 2006

You don't have to make this any better, it's great. Just Med's is over the op greatness, but Med is also a veteran here don't expect to measure up to him.

Yeah, good review.

south_of_heaven 11

fo real

Rocksta71
July 20th 2006

Exellent album, but I still rate wish you were here better, I also like Meddle and Saucerful of secrets a lot.

TheNotrap
September 23rd 2011

Breathe, breathe in the air

Digging: Accept - Blind Rage