Masked Intruder
Masked Intruder

by bungy USER (11 Reviews)
August 18th, 2012 | 52 replies | 6,103 views

Review Summary: "Girl, I wrote this song about you even though I don't know you and you don't know who I am and you probably think I'm creepy or whatever, but I will love you forever. Want to make out?

You probably noticed the sinister artwork and band name and I know exactly what you’re thinking. Masked Intruder: death metal. I am happy to relieve you. This isn’t a new band of 20 year olds making ***ty heavy music to feel badass/superior for other people who suck at life. These guys…are probably 30. And they make catchy music. I first became aware of Masked Intruder on facebook, when I accidently “liked” them but didn’t “unlike” them because they were on Death to False Hope and they would always post things from their Twitter feed in all-caps like, “DEAR @ElizBerkley, WE ARE A POP PUNK BAND AND WE HAVE A CRUSH ON YOU YOU CAN HEAR OUR RECORD HERE: a website. WANNA DATE US” OR “WERE CELEBRATING RECORD STORE DAY BY NOT ROBBING ANY YOURE WELCOME RECORD STORES” which, now that I think about it, is the extent of the lyrical content. Think one-sided love songs in the main vein of The Steinways or the Ergs! sung by the guy in Chixdiggit! or if you like worse music the guy in The Get Up Kids or maybe that one guy in Dillinger Four if he cleared his throat and then a Holy Sweet Mother of Catchy Songs song about sticking someone up with a knife (these guys are criminals remember).

Masked Intruder know how to write up-tempo songs with infectious melodies that border on the power pop side of pop punk doused with pleasant harmonies and pretty crisp production, which suits the record fine. After a few listens some songs shine brighter than others, except for “Stick ‘Em Up” which sticks out after one listen. One of these songs is “Heart Shaped Guitar” which according to their track-by-track thing with Alternative Press “is a centerpiece for the record because it’s in the middle.” “Breakin’” is pretty center for the record too in my opinion, it’s only one track earlier. A gimmick you could call it I guess, but with some catchy substance or a term that makes sense, this album could definitely be responsible for amassing a ton of plays over a short period of time.