Family Force 5
III

1.5
very poor

by Friday13th USER (10 Reviews)
August 18th, 2012 | 17 replies

Review Summary: They're gonna need a lot more than a golden tricycle to hook me.

There's nothing wrong with silly music.

Heck, I listened to Weird Al's "White and Nerdy" a gazillion times more than the serious original by that one rapper no one listens to anymore.

With nicknames like "Phatty", "Chapstique", and "Crouton", you can tell which side of the fence Family Force 5 falls into. Family Force 5 has always been about partying, dancing, and screaming about pointless things. It's been hit or miss, with some songs being so ridiculous they come off as actually good. "Kountry Gentlemen" from their first album is a prime example. What the heck is a country...er...”kountry” gentleman? What does that have to do with blitzkrieg rapping about mama's fried chicken and having a dance off? Why am I still listening? Well, because it's surprisingly entertaining. It’s not like S.O.D.’s Speak English or Die funny, but it’s still comical.

The music style for the first two albums was called "crunk" by the band. Interpreted into non-ghetto terms, this means a mix of screamo punk, techno, hard rock, and hip hop. Fairly original, actually. Only a handful of bands have attempted to put that many contradictory genres together. To top it off, they have a slightly Christian undertone to their songs. "Love Addict" states "It's better than drugs, in fact it's sent from above." This has inexplicably landed them tours with Christian artists from Tobymac to Mercy Me along with more understandable alternative acts such as 3OH!3.

With lll, Family Force 5 seem to pine for mainstream pop airplay. Ditching the genre hopping in favor of straight up synth pop, Family Force 5 butcher every good attribute the band had, leaving you with an obnoxious set of songs that aren't even funny.

Surprisingly, the albums highlight, “Paycheck”, is a more serious song about living in hard economic times. Though Family Force 5 have managed to release a couple decent serious songs in the past like the focused “D-I-E 4 Y-O-U” and the mellow “How in the World” both off Dance or Die, it still reflects poorly on a band known for their wackiness. “Not Alone” is another more serious number, though this ballad falls flat after pulling off every mainstream rock cliche worthy of Nickelback’s new album.

Album opener "Can You Feel It" couldn't be more ironic. Though it is the closest musically to the bands back catalog with its heavy guitar/synth riffing and punky screams, it sounds like a bland rehash of their previous batch of successful songs. The lyrics hit on the same tried and true theme of club dancing, only sounding more generic and uninspired than usual. This song was also used for a trailer of the Hasbro Battleship movie. Like movie like song.

All the other tracks fall into two categories: teenage “love” (crushes) and dancing at the club. Inspirational. As one might expect from an album with ten songs that clock barely over thirty minutes, the music rarely drifts from predictable synth pop. Just what we this world needs most!

Is Family Force 5’s third album a charm? No.
III strikes, and it’s out.

Univers Zero HeresieJudas Priest Redeemer of Souls
Kerry Livgren Seeds of ChangeMagma Mekanïk Destruktiw Kommandoh
Neal Morse ?Saviour Machine Saviour Machine I
2.1
poor
David Shephard (1.5)
Today’s class is wobble-ology and I’m your professor....

August 17th 2012

Sorry, there are a couple errors, like in the 4th to last paragraph I meant "pulling off every mainstream rock cliche worthy of Nickelbacks' new album."

Digging: iamthemorning - ~

Deviant.

So fix them...

Go to your profile, and underneath your profile pic will be an option to edit your reviews

Digging: Objekt - Flatland

breakingthefragile
August 18th 2012

This is the first time I've ever seen "gazillion" used in a review.

Breaking new ground

Digging: The Smith Street Band - Throw Me in the River

Emim
August 18th 2012

Actually saw them when they were touring with MercyMe. They put on a decent live show, though they didn't play Love You to Death.

August 18th 2012

Thanks Deviant, noobs need that kind of help!

August 18th 2012

Well, Trebor17, I didn't realize the only other review was also a 1.5 rating, but I guess your sarcasm is well deserved. Please check out my positive review of When Dreams Become Reality by Thieves and Liars. I didn't use any "zillion" number in that one haha

August 18th 2012

woah I literally reread my review for this just yesterday on a whim and now there's a new review for it, weird

Fieryfenderz
August 18th 2012

While I hate this album and the one before it, their first album was a guilty pleasure of mine. Also I'm pretty sure that's a golden dirtbike, not a tricycle.

Emim

has three wheels

is trike

Summary owns hard

August 19th 2012

I think it's a golden dirt tricycle

Eko the dolphin

^
/' |
/ /
< |
| |
====

August 19th 2012

hmmm apparently sputnik doesn't like lines that begin with spaces

August 19th 2012

If that was supposed to be a dolphin...

AnEpicDeath
July 2nd 2013

This review has a bit too high band discussion to album discussion ratio, but it gets the job done. Pos'd.