Desecresy
The Doom Skeptron

by CaptainDooRight USER (93 Reviews)
August 17th, 2012 | 36 replies

Review Summary: Solid DM with a Crushing Atmosphere

Putrid, disgusting, nasty, just how dm should be. Desecresy hit all those spots easily with a crushing atmosphere and tight musicianship. With most modern dm acts, at best, we get some solid dm we’ve heard before but that doesn’t always make it a bad thing. Desecresy are obviously aware of how to write effective riffs. It is true, however, that they are not doing anything new for dm and their last record was barely above average but they’ve stuck with their guns and continued focusing on developing their sound which I feel they’ve definitely achieved on this record.

The Doom Skeptron shows an atmosphere that thrives off double bass drum patterns, tremolos, and a harmonizing lead that lingers in the depths of tasty riffs. Although the first track is a nice introduction into the album with all of the aforementioned elements, it’s not the strongest track you’ll find off this. It lacks the aggression that could push the atmosphere further. Fortunately the second track comes in the right way with “Declined Resplendence”, which shows off the feel of osdm and new styled crust dm from the likes of Antediluvian and Undergang. This tasty combination of riffs and crusty feel is what really makes Desecresy succeed because they not only have an awesome formula but their songwriting has greatly improved form their last effort. “Forged from Chaos” starts with an eerie clean guitar pattern before ripping into the grimiest-hazy atmosphere death metal has to offer. “The Sceptre of Damnation” shows the Fins attempting an innovative song strong which thrives off the bass work of Tommi Gronqvist which leads perfectly into “The Sleep of Titans” which has a crushing slow doom-like atmosphere. These two latter tracks might as well be one, due to their perfect play off each other.

As mentioned before, this dual Finnish group is both developing their creative abilities yet still remaining stagnant within death metals current accomplishments. For instance “The Solemn End” is one of the most predictable tracks off this album and shows little effort in the creativity department. Because of this The Doom Skeptron is an album containing hit or miss tracks which in turns brings down the level of enjoyability. Fortunately this album ends strong with “Vortex Unwinding” which is a massacre of textures combined together that takes turns highlighting each other’s strengths. At times the bass will stand alone with the drums and before we know it a crushing atmosphere of blast beats will surface before a chugging ride pattern on the drums. “Vortex Unwinding” really shows Desecresy exploring their goals effectively; showing a style that could propel them into a category of greater known dm acts. May their conquest of furtherance into a genre that has been exhausted to the max show up as being worthwhile as they attempt to create emotions in a genre that haven’t been reached before.

Dropped Flyer Electronic CigaretteAbacus Abacus

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jv_oPw3jlWc

Digging: Fleurety - Min Tid Skal Komme

Hyperion1001
August 17th 2012

listened to this this morning

its better than their first album but still pretty bland and boring

bands like krypts and stench of decay do it much better

Digging: Substance / Vainqueur - Reverberation / Reverberate

August 17th 2012

I agree, I almost 3'd this but it grew after several listens and there are some solid tracks off this and even the weaker ones are solid but yeah like you said sometimes boring too. I still stand by the 3.5 but it barely made it there. Their previous was 2.5-3 tho

August 17th 2012

A MASSACRE OF TEXTURES COMBINED TOGETHER THAT TAKES TURNS HIGHLIGHTING EACH OTHERS STRENGTHS

couldnt have described it better myself^

and congratulations on using the word 'which' three times in a single sentence

August 17th 2012

and how does a band develop their creative abilities yet remain stagnant within dms current accomplishments?? (what??)

YankeeDudel
August 17th 2012

"It is true, however, that they are not doing anything new for dm"

What death metal bands are truly doing something new these days?

Digging: Taj Mahal Travellers - August 1974

August 17th 2012

"and how does a band develop their creative abilities yet remain stagnant within dms current accomplishments??"

a baby turns into an adolescent, but humans have reached that level thousands of times before, we're talking personal vs. majority, do the math

"What death metal bands are truly doing something new these days?"

ulcerate

August 17th 2012

personal vs majority?? what are you YAPPING about man do you even KNOW??? you said this band is DEVELOPING yet remaining STAGNANT do you know what the word PARADOX means??

TheNotrap
August 17th 2012

Nice work man, have pos.

Digging: Pink Floyd - The Endless River

@Notrap - thx bro

"do you know what the word PARADOX means"

if you don't know what it means for a band to develop vs. a band developing a genre then this converstation is pretty much pointless, I feel like I'm talking to my 3 year old cousin. Do you know what understanding simple terms means?

seedofnothing

Good review, pos.

Isn't alachlahol the same user who raves about not liking you, yet he spends all his time trying to start conversations with you? Yeah I'm personally aware of what "PARADOX" means.

August 17th 2012

except you obviously dont know because me thinking captain is king of the buttfucks doesnt mean im going to avoid him jesus fuck lets add more fuckin idiots to the thread

August 17th 2012

So clearly you're saying that you love giving attention to buttfucks?

I don't know whether to call you gay or just buttfuck you so you can go find some other dicks.

Did you skip your AA meeting this month?

August 17th 2012

ive been called fag by you before im not afraid!

August 17th 2012

Well your asshole is wide open so there's no way I could ever doubt your courage.

SgtPepper
August 17th 2012

I'll check these guys out. But I guess I shouldnt expect anything too grand. Good work, man. POS'd. For some reason I really like that album cover.

August 17th 2012

@ Paper - thanks bro, yeah covers got a nice speckled feel to it, agreed.

"i do understand this but instead of saying this you say dumb shit like developing while stagnating within current accomplishments which makes no sense and is just one of many things wrong with this review"

well what I actually said was "this dual Finnish group is both developing their creative abilities yet still remaining stagnant within death metals current accomplishments" which is perfect but your little mind apparently can't comprehend it.

And you mentioned there's many things wrong with the review but you only pointed out one thing that wasn't wrong. All you've pointed out is that you don't understand english and it apparently isn't your first language.

A MASSACRE OF TEXTURES COMBINED TOGETHER

August 17th 2012

Alachlahol should be awarded something for being the crankiest cunt in the entire world[2]