Ainulindale
The Lay of Leithian

by King Henry VIII USER (63 Reviews)
August 17th, 2012 | 29 replies

Release Date: 2004 | Tracklist

Ah, neo-folk, such a peaceful and relaxing genre. Personally, one of the best things about neo-folk is the consistency of the overall vibe and atmosphere in practically every release. Usually you get a traditional name in the native tongue of many European countries, but this time around we see a group use a name that’s within the Tolkien Elvish language he created himself. Another cool thing about this band is that their lyrics also center on Tolkien’s work. I’m not sure if they center on the Ring Trilogy or The Silmarillion, either way it’s still badass, because they’re following a black metal cliché without playing black metal. From what I’ve been reading, Ainulindalë was formed back in 2000-2002(?) in France, and took over a year or more to write their debut, The Lay of Leithian. During that time, the sole member Engwar, created something very unique.

The album opener immediately captivates the listener with a calm presence in one’s life. The mixture of melodic acoustic guitars, a background of a rainstick, along with a spoken word passage combines an atmosphere that is conceptually calm. While the proceeding songs also follow that concept of calmness, despite a few upbeat moments, the album still remains consistent. With all sorts of blends of instruments that range from guitars, a big drum, violin, cello, flute, and different types of vocal styles that consisted of spoken word, whisper, melodic singing, and what appears to be some sort of shout, all creates an interesting layout that is unique within the neo-folk genre. Though I want to say that The Lay of Leithian is an original piece, sadly I can’t. There are too many areas within the album that remind me vaguely of Vali, or Tenhi, or even the masterpiece album that is looked upon by every single neo-folk group as a source of inspiration, Ulver’s Kveldssanger.

Though The Lay of Leithian is very straight forward with its work. It still presents a mystical ambience in the atmosphere that grabs the attention of the listener, rather than the opposite. It holds firmly on the fact that is has a high value as a wonderful album. But during the time of roughly thirty-eight minutes, I can’t help but feel that something is missing. Despite it feeling incomplete and sounding like a collection of other well respected neo-folk albums combining together, it still holds its own and needs be considered as a top tier neo-folk record alongside Kveldssanger, and Forlatt.

Edguy Space Police - Defenders of the CrownPowerwolf Preachers of the Night
Dark Tranquillity ConstructGamma Ray Master of Confusion
Stratovarius NemesisIn the Silence A Fair Dream Gone Mad

Nevrast
recommended by reviewer
vali Forlatt
Ulver Kveldssanger

August 17th 2012

it's been over 6 hours since I posted my last review, and idgaf so don't bitch at me about it. this needed a review.

really good album, pos

August 17th 2012

haha I bet you didn't even read it, thanks anyways.

ZedO

will check this... pos

August 17th 2012

"haha I bet you didn't even read it, thanks anyways"

no i did read, its no novel bra

August 17th 2012

it was like post and then insta pos

you with little faith

Crysis
August 17th 2012

Their song on the "Whom the Moon a Nightsong Sings" compilation was great, plus they are LOTR-themed so I have to check this.

August 17th 2012

thought for sure you woulda had this C

Crysis
August 17th 2012

Always procrastinate about listening to neofolk albums then just forget about them

I "C"

August 17th 2012

Good review man, does this sounds like Neun Welten or Tenhi neolfolk?

August 17th 2012

it sure does or is at least within those classifications

August 17th 2012

it sounds very similar to Tenhi, in a way at least, they do draw at least an influence from Tenhi.

August 17th 2012

^ Oh , now I remember this guys, they appeared on Whom the Moon a Nightsong sings, really awesome compilation; and their song is a highlight, I feel Ulver's song is not very good, the best song is Empyrium's hands down, sadly they haven't released any new material since.. look http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSKyujKLG90

August 17th 2012

actually Ainulindale already finished their next album a while ago, but the guy is having some record label talks, because he whats people to hear the music, but idk if he'll go DIY so yeah.

August 17th 2012

Thanks, this does sounds like tenhi; in one way or another almost all modern neofolk albums are influenced by Kauan, just wanted to know if their sound was folk (as Tenhi/Old Ulver) or the more drum-laden one (Like Neun Welten) Thank you, I'll check this full lenght out :]

August 17th 2012

Empyrium is an awesome band

n-f/

August 17th 2012

Yes, yes, yes.... I adore all their releases, saddly; they're on one of those "indefinite hiatus" status, dude cap'n, check this song from the compilation I mentioned, rules so damn hard http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIJBVgDxGuw