Sinister
Cross the Styx

by VisionsFromTheDarkSide USER (23 Reviews)
August 17th, 2012 | 109 replies | 4,684 views

Release Date: 1992 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Riffalicious.

Due to the death metal scene being overcrowded with insanely average bands which somehow earn more prestige than they should do, Dutch OSDM band Sinister never have quite earned the recognition they deserve. This might also be down to the fact that their superb debut album, ‘Cross the Styx’ unfortunately does not give an accurate representation for their whole discography, as their latter albums faded into mediocrity.

Starting with the tried and tested ‘eerie-opener, followed by furious fast-paced track’ formula, Sinister make no hesitations in stating their intentions with ‘Cross the Styx’; from the word ‘go’, we can see that this is going to be an aggressive, rabid, and ferocious album. Drummer Aad Kloosterwaard plays blast-beats like it’s going out of fashion, thunderously bursting into life at the beginning of ‘Carnificina Scelasta’ while allowing no room for let-up throughout the entire album, (although it should be noted that he is certainly not limited to these blast beats, ensuring that the drums succeed in avoiding monotony; something that a lot of death metal bands struggle with) contributing majorly towards the ‘Cross the Styx’s’ overall chaotic vibe.

While the bass is decent and gets the job done, being high enough in the mix to be notable (but not producing any ‘ground-breaking’ bass lines), and the vocals are standard yet solid gutturals, the record’s real strength comes from the guitar duo that is Ron van der Polder and Andre Tolhuizen. The riffs themselves are of a superb quality; head and shoulders above the majority of OSDM bands, for that matter. But it’s the way that Sinister utilize two guitar players by writing impressive riffs in harmony with one another, while simultaneously managing to keep them as heavy and devastating as possible.

While many death metal bands try and sound ‘brutal’, both in their lyrics and their music, but ultimately fail, ‘Cross the Styx’ is an album which sees Sinister succeed at doing this, and although looking at Sinister’s lyrics before listening to the music can naturally lead one to make the assumption that they are just another boring, clichéd death metal band, a listen to the album reveals this to be massively untrue; with Sinister, the music speaks for itself, ultimately distancing them away from their mediocre and pretentious counterparts within the OSDM scene.

Maveth Coils of the Black EarthCoffinworm IV.I.VIII
Sport Bon VoyageExarsis The Brutal State
Stonehelm StonehelmEyehategod In the Name of Suffering
4.2

August 17th 2012

Think I had this down as a 3.5 when I first listened to it but it has grown on me so much, fuck.

Digging: Noah Gundersen - Ledges

best album ever made

solid trilogy

evilford

22071 Comments

cool gotta check this out

cool album cover too

Digging: Afterlife - Surreality

August 17th 2012

yea aggressive measures is still great shit though captain

August 17th 2012

Uhuh I was just about to say Aggressive Measures isn't too bad, doesn't come close to this in my eyes though

This is fantastic

Digging: Messiah - Choir of Horrors

bloc lives

too bad dm doesnt

KILL dies

August 17th 2012

agreed dm is dead till new gorguts comes out

August 17th 2012

i do not die, i only dei

and yea hopefully gorguts can save us from the era of contortionists and faceless bollocks

August 17th 2012

bro I'm working on a thrash/dm album right now so ima try to stay true and focus on the kill as i write

plus your album will rape all too so yea

August 17th 2012

damn dude savin dm is all up to us if gorguts fail thats a lot of pressure but we can do it everyone is countin on us