Walk the Moon
Walk the Moon

by TheTeleGuy83 USER (1 Reviews)
August 17th, 2012 | 6 replies | 1,169 views

Review Summary: "We got no money but we got heart!"

Cincinnati based Alternative band Walk The Moon's first full-length album is a gem in the heavily saturated Indie genre. Not only do they manage to create an album that is whimsical, quirky and undoubtedly fun, they have crafted something that does not at all come off as cheesy or forced. This album genuinely feels like four guys having fun and making catchy, danceable tunes with guitars, drums, and some synthesizers. Although they are just the new kids on the scene now, one can almost be certain they are on their way to indie pop stardom.

The album opens up with five, count them, five instantly catchy little masterpieces of Alt Pop. "Quesadilla" starts of with an upbeat percussion and guitar riff, almost reminiscent of Vampire Weekend's "Cousins", but much more dance-floor friendly. The only gripe one could have about this track, or most of the album for that matter, is the lack of lyrical substance. No, Walk The Moon don't seem like lyrical geniuses, but that's not what they intend to be. Love, the beach, and having fun seem to be the staples of most of the album. The lyrics do the job, and aren't so bad that they distract from the overall undeniable catchiness of the songs. "Lisa Baby" starts of with an almost funk-esque guitar riff and then launches into a refrain with careening bass synthesizers and a catchy lead riff. Next in line is, well, "Next In Line". While this song may have some of the worst lyrics of the album, it is still catchy and full of hooks none the less. "Anna Sun", named after a professor at the College Nicholas Petricca, lead singer, attended, is the first single and definitely the best track of the album. Feel-good lyrics and reverb soaked guitar sounds give this track a summer atmosphere like nothing else, and begs to be blared through your car stereo with your windows rolled down.

The second half of the album opens with "Shiver Shiver" which shows the band going for a more mellow, laid back feel, which they seem to continue for the rest of the album. While the catchiness is still present on this track, what truly shines is Nicholas Petricca's falsetto during the chorus, with the repeated line of "When you are close to me I shiver". After "Lions" a seemingly filler track, (keep in mind: even the filler on this album is good) comes "Iscariot". Being the closest thing to a ballad/slow song on this album, it comes off as boring and uninteresting. It may be the weakest track on the album. The album picks up slightly at the conclusion, with "I Can Lift A Car", which is a decent, but mostly forgettable song.

While not all of the songs may be perfect, you would be hard pressed to find one that can be considered "bad" on this album. A perfect release to get you into that summer state of mind, Walk the Moon exudes a youthful, upbeat, exciting, and most of all, catchy feel right from the get go. While Walk The Moon may be young upstarts, they may just be the next big thing on the Alt horizon. Watch out Indie bands, there's some new kids on the block.

Jacob R. STAFF (3.5)
A sense of imagination that shoots through the clouds....

trending alt & indie albums

Lowborn

AM

To Be Kind

St. Vincent

SgtPepper
August 17th 2012

Good review, man. I havent heard this band's stuff or this album, but you did a great job in describing and critiquing the music. POS'd.

Digging: Shabazz Palaces - Lese Majesty

ZedO
August 17th 2012

pos, sweet first review, and I haven't heard this band before and possibly will check it..

chambered49
August 17th 2012

good review sir i prob wont check this out tho :p

Brostep
August 17th 2012

Nice first review, pos. I may check this album out because I love bands who don't really give a shit but just make awesome music.

Brostep
August 17th 2012

Honestly sounds like a less synthy Manners by Passion Pit (without the endearingly obnoxious vocals). Not a bad thing either.

Omaha
August 17th 2012

Nice review. I like this, but definitely not as much as you do. It starts to get a little grating towards the end, and "I Can Lift a Car" is just bad.