Senses Fail
Still Searching

by Aaron Arneson CONTRIBUTOR (108 Reviews)
August 16th, 2012 | 51 replies | 5,707 views

Release Date: 2006 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Drink up your Loneliness

To truly relate to this album, one has to first understand the human condition. At some point, most of us have dealt with loneliness, despair, or even addiction, but we usually don't like to talk about it. Thankfully, we don't have to as frontman Buddy Nielsen does all the talking for us on the bands sophomore release, "Still Searching". It's more than just an album, it's a head-first dive into our darkest fears and insecurities.

Not only are the lyrics painfully honest, but the music is heavier as well. There are still tracks that will please fans of the bands debut, but as a whole this is a completely different listening experience. The album opens with 'The Rapture' in which Buddy sings "I wont be saved" and "we're destined to all die alone". Next up is the fast paced 'bonecrusher' which is about Buddy's struggle with alcoholism. In these songs the band showcases how they can take dark lyrical themes and turn them into upbeat and memorable tracks.

The listener is given an emotional break with the more accessible 'Calling All Cars' and 'Can't be Saved'. Although these songs aren't quite as heavy they are undeniably catchy and manage to adhere to the albums somewhat depressing topics. Some may recognize 'Can't be Saved' from Guitar Hero 3. With it's impressive guitar work and sing-along chorus it's not hard to figure out why they chose this song.

This brings us to the second half of the album which contain some of the best songs Senses Fail have ever written. The title track is the most personal song on here and it portrays feelings of addiction and isolation perfectly. In the second half of the song Buddy sings "My best friend is a man, with a lab coat and a grin, I put out my shaking hand, and he gives me medicine".
The honesty in these lines definitely captures what it feels like to be in the midst of full blown addiction. This song is topped only by the albums final track.

Without a doubt, 'The Priest and the Matador' takes the cake for best song on the album. It's also the closest thing to a ballad to be found here. 'Negative Space' precedes the closer but both songs should be heard back to back. At just a minute and a half in length the song has no vocals but features the same guitar notes as 'Priest and the Matador' which sets the mood for the grand finale.

We all face consequences for our actions and the final track shows how devastating those consequences can be. In the song is a man who has lost all his faith and decides to take his own life. It's a fitting conclusion to an album that so flawlessly portrays the inner-conflicts of the human mind. Anybody who has ever felt hopeless or alone should be able to relate to this album. It's aggressive, thought provoking, and remains one of the bands best releases to date.

Recommended Tracks:

Trvth ApproachingAgalloch The Serpent and the Sphere
The Byrds Mr. Tambourine ManSomos Temple of Plenty
Fireworks Oh, Common LifeA Slow Descent On Ganymede
Ian (4.5)
Senses Fail has made a gambit with this "Still Searching"; they lost a lot of fans with "Let It Enfo...

guitarhero45 (4)
Senses Fail, All Grown Up...

Understanding In a Crash (4)

MrJimmyBrown (4.5)
The third release from Senses Fail doesn't disappoint as the guitars get heavier, the drumming gets ...

Spec

Mean.

SCREAMorphine
August 16th 2012

All The Best Cowboys is still worth a listen.

Used to love this album.

19395 Comments

Ya that's def a good song. Album is amazing

Digging: Musk Ox - Woodfall

SCREAMorphine
August 16th 2012

I'm the arrow, shot straight to hell.

19395 Comments

BY THE BOW OF WILLIAM TELL!

FromDaHood
August 16th 2012

In my opinion, a 4.5 review is the hardest to write because you have to justify why it's close to and not worthy of classic status. Your review kind of failed in that respect. I already know this album is sweet, tell me what parts aren't.

19395 Comments

Thanks for the feedback. Ya, I thought about rating it a 4 for the review but I decided to just give it 4.5. I might try to think of something negative I could add but honestly I like every song on here

nononsense
August 16th 2012

The bonus tracks on the deluxe are good too.

Digging: Jason Lancaster - As You Are

Recspecs

Calc

11940 Comments

this new avatar fad is annoying...i hope everyone hops on. and this album was quite good, didn't notice how "dark" it was though

Digging: Kashiwa Daisuke - April. #02

Recspecs
August 16th 2012

Annoying? Are you heterosexual?

August 16th 2012

"Let It Enfold You is still their best by a long shot, although this still kicks ass."

I think I love you. Didn't know anyone else agreed with that but me.

This album, while it seems to be most people's favorite, isn't as good as LIEY nor The Fire imo. I also think I'm in the minority that likes the first half of this album better than the second.

Review was fine. Didn't think anything positive or negative regarding it

19395 Comments

Ya, I still love Let it Enfold You but I could relate to this album on a more personal level. The Fire is great too especially due to improved vocals. I like every Senses Fail album though.

JackSparrow
August 16th 2012

I like Let It Enfold You better too but this album is great. The last 3 tracks are so powerful

LIEY > TF > SS > LINaWR = FTDoD

imo

JackSparrow

I would put it LIEF > SS > TF > FTDOD > LINaWR

Waiting Room is just not good, and the EP has Stephen and 187

19395 Comments

Their next album has potential to be their best album if they make more songs like "War Paint".

August 16th 2012

Yeah It's gonna be sweet.

August 16th 2012

I don't agree at all about Waiting Room though. I remember hating it at first when I first listened to it but I think it's a solid album now. It is almost a 4 for me. "Yellow Angels" into "Chandelier" is just plain awesome

August 16th 2012

But as far as I'm concerned this band can do no wrong