brokeNCYDE
I'm Not a Fan, but the Kids Like It!

by YoWassupBros USER (5 Reviews)
August 16th, 2012 | 97 replies

Review Summary: It's actually not nearly as bad as you've been led to believe. Album's title says it all.

Let's set the record straight. brokeNCYDE is derided as being one of the worst musical acts ever, with a lot of people thinking they're rich white dudes who had enough cash to mess around in the studio and release an awful album out of vanity, a la Rebecca Black. Truth be told, nothing could be further from the truth. The guys in BC13 (the band's nickname) are actually Mexicans who have been pretty poor most of their lives. In their own words, they released their album so that teens could party and have fun and enjoy their lives. Not a bad goal indeed.

Their music has been derided as an atrocious mix of crunk and "screamo" (inb4 Alex Bigman comes over and kicks my ass for calling it screamo!) with juvenile lyrics. Truth be told, when you actually play their songs, it's hard to understand why the band has received as much hate as they have. Most of this album consists of some surprisingly solid party jams. The beats aren't half bad and the lyrics, while dumb, aren't particularly offensive, especially when we consider the time that this came out in.

True, none of the songs truly stand out as top-notch party jams, but that's perfectly understandable given that they don't have any big name producer backing them up. Given that a lot of this album was written by the band with little major label support, it's actually pretty impressive that tracks like "Booty Call" could definitely slip into an official club party list and nobody would be any wiser. If anything, it shows the talent these dudes have. Yeah, I said it. They're talented. These guys came from nothing to being one of the top scene bands in 2007. That takes something man.

Admittedly the screamo aspects to their songs kinda suck. The screaming is pretty bad and in my opinion just detracts from teh songs. I understand that they were trying to appeal the crunk scene to scene kids but it's just not well done. They do have the screaming in the right parts though, which tells me they have the dynamics of a good party jam down, but hey, the screaming still blows.

At any rate, the screaming did its job. The interesting part is that their skits reveal the band's background. These dudes have very little in common with Metro Station or even Blink-182, despite what it may first seem. Sometimes you really can't judge a book by its cover.

Honestly, as far as it goes, this album accomplishes what it set out to do and it does have party potential. It isn't targeted towards my demographic and its time is past, but even now it doesn't really offend my ears. I've heard much worse and offensive blasts of noise from bands like Merzbow (Pulse Demon, anyone?). The hate is largely unwarranted, especially given how nice these dudes are in person. It'd make a lot more sense of the vitriolic hate they received was targeted towards really awful people who make atrocious music, like that racist scumbag Varg from Burzum. But hey, who ever expected rationality from the music critics?

I'm certainly not much of a fan, but the kids did love it. Solid album, if nothing stands out.

1.2
awful

Digging: Friendzone - Collection 1

Insurrection

underrated

Digging: Aspherium - The Fall of Therenia

LifeAsAChipmunk

August 15th 2012

Haha well it isn't anything that will be jocked from now on or that has much staying power, but as far as it goes, their songs aren't that bad and they definitely do have more sense of music writing than your average musician.

I wouldn't jam to them but I get why kids loved them back in '07.

LifeAsAChipmunk

Overrated.

You = 10 out of 10 fucked

not even rating because 0/5 doesn't exist

Ninjask

-5/5

August 15th 2012

Not gonna lie, I would expect these reactions after listening to a Burzum or Merzbow album, but not from these guys.

August 15th 2012

Aw come on, Burzum is just a bunch of awful noise made by some delusional racist. How would that NOT produce vitriolic hate? Instead his music gets praise. It makes no sense whatsoever.

August 15th 2012

Aw come on, Burzum is just a bunch of awful noise

Wat

August 15th 2012

True that. At least brokeNCYDE have some dance beats that get parties started and some sense of musical composition. Can't say that about Burzum at all.

August 15th 2012

Whoa Flutter your avatar isn't Fluttershy anymore!

August 15th 2012

Why would you even compare Burzum to brokeNCYDE?

Insurrection
August 15th 2012

burzum is heavily influenced by these guys, its literally impossible to like one and not the other

Spag

LOL

Digging: Power of Omens - Rooms of Anguish

August 15th 2012

I'm not comparing them to Burzum. I'm saying that if anyone deserves the kind of intense hatred BC13
received, it'd make sense to leverage it upon a guy who makes shit like this:

and who makes a bunch of insanely dumb statements about politics. I don't get why some dudes from New
Mexico that set out to get scene kids to party get the hate they do. It's much less offensive than
whatever Varg is up to

Also, LOL @ his costume in that vid. How can people defend this dude with a straight face??

TheFonz123
August 15th 2012

yes but burzum has talent, who cares what his ideals are if they are not connected to the music

>but burzum has talent

Do u have functioning ear drums man? And how does BC13 NOT have talent? They definitely do have a
grasp of proper songwriting techniques and can actually produce their stuff, unlike Mr. Varg.

August 15th 2012

Given that I like stuff that has identifiable melodies, catchiness, etc. I'd say my ear drums are functioning pretty well, thank you very much. Stuff that's produced in a garage and sounds like someone just playing random ass riffs sounds like garbage. Seems pretty normal.