Spoon
Girls Can Tell

by Worth USER (1 Reviews)
August 13th, 2012 | 12 replies | 1,967 views

Release Date: 2001 | Tracklist

Review Summary: The immediately recognizable parsed style of production heard here would become a staple on all future releases from our favorite collective of musical silverware.

Spoon have, scoop for scoop, statistically received more critical love than any other act during the naughts. Spoon’s early releases featured a crunchy, distorted brand of rock and roll; A Series of Sneaks contained an undeniable affection for the overdriver, and that album’s production suits that sort of rock. Girls Can Tell could easily be regarded as the first modern Spoon album. The immediately recognizable parsed style of production heard here would become a staple on all future releases from our favorite collective of musical silverware.

The trademarks of a Spoon album are all here: churning, brief piano melodies, palm muted licks, mid-tempo drumming in the pocket, plucky leads, understated bass. However, the magic of Girls Can Tell is in the thin, crisp production. Overdubs are few and far between. The layering that comes to the front of the recording is usually vocal harmonies. If the listener tries hard enough, they might hear an extra tremolo’d guitar or an additional layer of keys, but again, they’d be trying pretty hard. This minimalist composition allows the listener to believably project oneself into a small, divey club scene featuring a decade-younger Spoon. The production here is so honest and necessary, it almost feels live. Girls Can Tell’s aesthetic is transparent; no band-aids, nowhere to hide.

Girls Can Tell was Spoon’s first commercial success and it marked the onset of their foray into a more calculated, acoustic guitar-friendly recording style. Listen closely and you can hear snippets of Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga and other great releases embedded in here.

JAXETA

horse masks all around

klap

5-5-5-5

Digging: Woods - With Light And With Love

macadoolahicky
August 13th 2012

Omg, that equals negative ten!

Soldiermedic
August 13th 2012

Big Spoon fan but I find everything released after this to be better. Not that this is a bad album or anything.

someguest
August 13th 2012

The album title's a doozy.

Digging: BABYMETAL - Babymetal

MagmaWalrus
August 14th 2012

Great review, especially for a first. Awesome album too.

juiceviaorange
December 30th 2012

I'm gonna relisten to this and write a review for this. Great review, and I'm glad this finally has one, as it's one of my favorite records, and definitely my favorite release from Spoon. I feel this album deserves a longer review, if anything.

Inveigh
December 30th 2012

My favorite spoon release as well

Digging: Symptom - Caverns Of Katabasis

jefflebowski
June 28th 2013

everything hits at once is basically perfect

Damus
August 16th 2013

I love the production on this album. Agree that everything hits at once is perfect. As is Believing is Art and Chicago At Night.

jefflebowski
August 16th 2013

think i just prefer kill the moonlight (the archetypal spoon album) to this but it's close for sure

juiceviaorange
October 20th 2013

This could be my favorite Spoon album, I really don't know