My Chemical Romance
The Black Parade

by TheRustyMan USER (5 Reviews)
August 13th, 2012 | 31 replies | 3,460 views

Release Date: 2006 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Now come on, come all to this tragic affair- Tragic is defiantly not a word I would call this!

The Black Parade.

I must admit, I started listening to My Chemical Romance quite late, only picking up Danger Days back in 2010 with knowledge of only a few songs from the record, and barely any knowledge of their previous works before they turned punk. Now, I liked what Danger Days had to offer, even though Na Na Na got annoying after a few listens, so I decided to go back to the old My Chemical Romance, beginning with The Black Parade, the bands third studio album.

Now, it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure out that the main theme of the album is death after the album opens with The End and Dead! These two tracks may be two of the shortest on the album, but it gives us great music and catchy tunes that sets the album up to a really well done start.

As soon as Welcome to the Black Parade, the first single from the album kicks off, we know that from there and on it can only get better. Welcome to the Black Parade is probably one of the most important My Chemical Romance songs out there to date. The song focuses on the diagnosed cancer character “The Patient”, who remembers the time when his father took him to see a parade. Gerard stated in an interview that “I like to think that death comes for you however you want. So when death comes for the patient, it comes in the form of a black parade”. A striking song that will be most remembered when the album ends.

But Welcome to the Black Parade isn’t the only highlight of the album. Famous Last Words, the last single from the album, House of Wolves and Sleep are exceptionally great songs that over rule some of the more average songs like The Sharpest Lives and This Is How I Disappear. Each song is catchy and provides us with good ear candy in its own way, as Ray Toros guitars are fantastic and Bob Bryars drumming is also really good.

Teenagers is another single from the album, as Gerard described as “A commentary on kids being viewed as meat by the government and by society.” He also relates the song to the Black Parade by stating “I always viewed this as about those kids in the black parade who’d killed themselves, who had made a big mistake. It’s a very powerful song.” Powerful, yes. Catchy? Defiantly.

With Cancer and Disenchanted being sad, slow songs that slow the album down a touch, songs like Mama and Dead! provide us with some madness and choruses that sound more cheery than sad despite the depressing topics. Gerard and co. leave no room for disappointment on The Black Parade album, something that even surprised me, as I wasn’t entirely sure what to think when I bought the album.

Despite Danger Days being a good album, (even though some songs got old fast and others came across as irritating and disappointing), I think it’s fair to say that it was a mistake for MCR to stray far from their roots that made them original and great in the first place. The Black Parade will always be their best album, and looking ahead into the future, can they really pull of anything as good as this?

TOP 3
- Welcome to the Black Parade
- House of Wolves
- Famous Last Words

Although the albums done and finished, its memory will carry on.

YoYoMancuso
August 13th 2012

really underrated although i get a lot of shit for liking this record, good review for a first but it was kinda fanboyish and
could be a bit more descriptive

TooLateToGoBack

my favorite MCR record.

absolutely love this album.

sixdegrees
August 13th 2012

It's decent, probably their best.

Digging: Ted Nugent - Shutup&jam!

SCREAMorphine

Not a bad first review.
Not the worst album around either.

FearOfTheDuck
August 13th 2012

A pretty good review, I agree with most of what you said, but this-

barely any knowledge of their previous works before they turned punk

Should not exist. MCR have never been punk, not even on I Brought You My Bullets.

ZedO
August 13th 2012

decent album, good review pos

East Hastings
August 13th 2012

please learn the difference between "defiantly" and "definitely"

johnnydeking29
August 13th 2012

Has grown off me a lot, but I still enjoy this
Disenchanted, House of Wolves, Welcome and Disappear rule

Digging: Naked City - Radio

August 13th 2012

Not a very good review to be honest. Also, "before they turned punk" made me LOL hard. If you think that piece of shit album is punk (Danger Days, that is, not The Black Parade) you need to be smacked over the head repeatedly with copies of Dookie, Rocket to Russia, and Nevermind The Bollocks.

August 13th 2012

"please learn the difference between "defiantly" and "definitely""

Also, this.

shanshanson
August 13th 2012

lol at using a green day album to make that point

MarvinLapsus
August 13th 2012

I didn't like the lyrical approach to death found here, I found it quite a ridicule teenage tearjerk. Lyrics and aesthetic manage to kill this music for me, though they can play some catchy tunes.

LifeAsAChipmunk

Awesome album.

August 13th 2012

Dookie technically fits into a punk category. If the Ramones do, Green Day do - don't forget The Ramones sold out later, too.

lyzakthellama
August 13th 2012

Dookie is pop-punk. Go listen to some real punk before making that claim

TheRustyMan
August 13th 2012

Ill take all criticism to mind, and yeah my spelling is awful :L

Storm In A Teacup

^

Da11thMytrillSphere
August 13th 2012

Aceptable instrumentation, really catchy. But some of their lyrics are lame and it has some awful cliches that really pisses me off.

August 15th 2012

"Dookie is pop-punk. Go listen to some real punk before making that claim"

Did you notice what two albums I put it with? Are you going to tell me The Ramones and the Sex Pistols (and The Clash, and the Undertones, and the Toy Dolls, and a load of other bands I listen to) are not 'real punk'?

Just because they made 'American Idiot' doesn't nullify what came before.

barbinin
December 3rd 2012

great to be a modern rock opera