Screaming Trees
Dust

by truekebabpower USER (12 Reviews)
August 11th, 2012 | 7 replies

Release Date: 1996 | Tracklist

Review Summary: No matter what they might have you believe, there was more than dust left behind by these grunge rockers.

In the early 90’s when the world was being engulfed by a new musical sound known as grunge and many Seattle bands received worldwide recognition; some bands like the Screaming Trees were left behind. There are numerous possible reasons for this.

For one the Screaming Trees weren’t as comfortable with experimenting with heavier sides of the grunge sound such as the hardcore and metal elements that appealed to the hordes of infuriated teenagers. They were more inclined towards a more classic sound in their mixture of rock, blues, psychedelia and folk. The Screaming Trees were never as dark as Alice in Chains, nor as proficient as Soundgarden, never as sympathetic as Pearl Jam and not nearly as exciting as Nirvana was. Mark Lanegan is a unique and capable vocalist, but he never had what it takes to become an idol like the other frontmen. And let’s face it, if you had one word to describe Lanegan and his voice I bet it wouldn’t be charismatic or exciting. Still, Screaming Trees received moderate success with the release of Sweet Oblivion, but it wasn’t until 1996 in the wake of demise of the Seattle sound that they released a record that would make them worthy to be part of grunge’s legacy.

Another aspect that separates Screaming Trees from their peers is that they’re not all doom and gloom. There are plenty of love songs to be expected; sometimes they’re incredibly catchy (Make My Mind), at times a bit cliché (Look at You). But most of all, it’s good to know they haven’t forgotten how to rock; Witness should clear that up nicely. The Traveler, appropriately to the title, moves along slowly, while Lanegan sings in despair: “I'm half way here, I'm half way there, all along I've been the traveler.” successfully evocating the motion of an eternal journey. The closer Gospel Plow, a spin on a traditional American folk song, is another gem and the perfect resolution to the album starting and ending with an intriguing tribal beat.

Ultimately, the Screaming Trees will never be able to achieve a following, which is enjoyed amongst their peers, but a quick look at Dying Days, a track commemorating the death of several of Lanegan's close friends, and of the grunge scene in general (Mike McCready of Pearl Jam makes an appearance as well), will show that the Screaming Trees were as integral to the Seattle sound as any other band.

Flyleaf New HorizonsStone Sour House of Gold and Bones - Part 1
Siddharta RHDubioza Kolektiv Wild Wild East
The New Regime Speak Through the White NoiseHaji's Kitchen Twenty Twelve
Chortles (4)
The last hurrah of a group in its death throes....

Wedontgetfooledagain (4)

Witness: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiQuBtqnqCM
Make My Mind: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnyHDylnuck
Gospel Plow: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBYeuCa5aoM

August 11th 2012

I hope I did them justice, though I'm not entirely sure...

August 11th 2012

I unfortunately don't reach that level of awesomeness, but boy is there lots and lots of scrolling involved there

nice, you deffinitely should

lostforwords
August 11th 2012

Good review, I'll pos, even though I STRONGLY disagree with this : "if you had one word to describe Lanegan and his voice I bet it wouldn’t be charismatic or exciting".

August 11th 2012

well maybe charismatic, but rarely particulary exciting even when he reaches for higher notes, at least compared to the other grunge singers who are some of the biggest names in music, but his voice has other qualities though, I believe soothing would be the appropriate word to describe it

lostforwords
August 11th 2012

I see what you mean, you associate exciting with singers like Cornell I guess. Lanegan is not exciting that way