Acres
Acres

by Michael Snoxall USER (47 Reviews)
August 11th, 2012 | 62 replies | 13,832 views

Review Summary: Like Devil Sold His Soul, if Devil Sold His Soul knew how to write interesting music.

In recent times, Post-Hardcore is becoming a looming, colourless mediocrity. Newcomers to the genre are recycling the same systems and conventions set by better bands prior and wherever you look, the majority looks like it is just becoming par for the course. British quintet Acres, who have recently released their self-titled debut EP, are a promising young band who don't adhere to strict guidelines and banality set by their predecessors. Instead, Acres focus on strong song writing and structure not unlike the winding melodies and ‘ambient’ tendencies usually attributed to Post-Rock bands.

Carried by a strong vocal performance and shimmering guitars, Acres have produced an EP that not only matches the standards of modern day Post-Hardcore, but exceeds them. And yes, this is only the beginning. While the band still have a way to go to fully flesh out their sound and come into their own, they have a great premise for their sound here. They show their capability for creating compositions that start off quiet and serene, and then build before opening into a bang. They play with these ideas and song structures usually in a period of time ranging from three to five minutes.

The vocals are almost heart wrenching endeavours of screaming. Like the vocalist is bleeding himself dry against the canvas, his wails sound genuine and fatiguing. Unfortunately, while the band do get a lot of things right, they play with some heavier dynamics that sound very bass heavy and seem awkward and out of place against the almost monumental wall of twinkle-laced guitars.

In the long run, I believe the band would benefit from experimenting with their Post-Rock capabilities and working on much more grandiose scales, fully developing a song that encases Post-Hardcore, Post-Rock and even their proneness to Ambient so as to create something truly epic. While large ideas are at heart, the band need to step up the context in which they place those ideas.

Momentum HerbivoreImmolation Kingdom of Conspiracy
Beyond Creation The AuraIlluminati The Core
Satan Life SentenceAosoth IV: An Arrow in Heart

August 11th 2012

Band are offering their EP for free at their Bandcamp (but be a good sport and give them a few bucks): http://acresuk.bandcamp.com/

Evreaia
August 11th 2012

Downloading it now, album art is sweet.

Digging: Plebeian Grandstand - Lowgazers

August 11th 2012

Yeah, it a nice album cover. It was a quick write-up, kinda just wanted to give these guys some Sputnik exposure.

treeqt.
August 11th 2012

Funny, was just downloading this as your review came up. The summary makes me curious what they actually sound like.

Deviant.

All Genres huh?

Digging: L'Orange - The Orchid Days

August 11th 2012

Kind of just Post-Hardcore with some heavy Post-Rock tendencies and influences.

Deviant.
August 11th 2012

I was talking about the band page

August 11th 2012

Oh, haha I didn't even notice that.

Hep Kat
August 11th 2012

ah yes an infamous all genres album

this must be some hott commodity

Digging: Fucked Up - Year of the Dragon

DurzoBlint

From the review and the related artists, I will like this. Buying now ^_^

JackSparrow
August 11th 2012

Giving it a listen, really liking it. Love the vocal style. Great review man.

Calc

sniper

nvm.

patman1001
August 11th 2012

I've been listening to this a lot lately

August 11th 2012

"I don't know what shimmering or twinkle-laced guitars are, but this sounds like another post-rock band that's a little on the heavy side with their crescendos."

Maybe I described it wrong, but they're not like that. They're more like a Post-Hardcore band with less distortion and more melody.

treeqt.
August 11th 2012

The Devil Sold His Soul is very fitting tbh.
I like what I'm hearing so far.

August 12th 2012

bump.

DurzoBlint
August 12th 2012

Why isn't the outro to remember your place here longer D: I love that part.

redrig
September 19th 2012

this is amazing

XingKing
September 20th 2012

Checking this out based on your list. The music is sweet but those vocals are kind of meh. Dat music though... unf.