Greeley Estates
Outside of This

2.0
poor

by 01011 USER (3 Reviews)
August 11th, 2012 | 3 replies | 1,362 views

Release Date: 2004 | Tracklist

Review Summary: With nothing really interesting or original on the record, you have no reason to listen to this.

Before maturing into the band they are now, Greeley Estates struggled to find their own sound in the post hardcore community. Outside of This failed to bring anything new to the table back then or now. Everything on the record is boring, generic, and predictable.

After the pointless intro the first thing you notice is Ryan Zimmerman’s voice. Throughout the album he proves he is barely capable of being a competent singer. He can sing all the choruses fairly well but through all the verses his voice seems to crack constantly and after a few songs it can get grating. The screamers aren’t even comprehensible throughout most of the record and seem to just yell as loud as they can to keep your attention.

If you don’t get bored by the vocalists the subjects of the songs are almost guaranteed to. Every song on the record seems to be about regret about a girl betraying him. Some songs sound like they could just be a clever cover to talk about his beliefs and doubts with Christianity (all the members are Christian), but either way it gets old as the album progresses.

The guitarists play very basic riffs you’ve probably heard on several different albums, like "Let it Enfold You" by Senses Fail, and they rarely play anything exciting. The drummer seems to follow the guitarists’ lead and also fails to do anything exciting. I’m almost certain they don’t even have a bassist on this album.

Even with all these faults the album can be kind of fun if you don’t mind all this type of music. “Atom Doesn’t Lie” is probably the least worst and most diverse song on the album. Everyone else has probably heard this on another album by another band though.

good

ConcubinaryCode
August 11th 2012

2023 Comments

Decided to try reviewing. I would like to write a few more if you guys approve. Please tell me stuff I could improve upon. I
apologize for how short the review is as its my first go at this and there really wasn't much to talk about IMO.

SCREAMorphine
November 3rd 2012

No Rain, No Rainbow is the only album I'll confidently say I enjoy. It's good to hear where it all came from, keep review man.

paxman