Vesperian Sorrow
Stormwinds Of Ages

by Vak USER (13 Reviews)
August 10th, 2012 | 12 replies | 1,425 views

Review Summary: More people need to hear this album.

Vesperian Sorrow, not a band many have heard of (judging from numbers on the band page) A little history for those that don't know. The band formed in 1994 under the name "Unholy Descent" until finally changing their name to "Vesperian Sorrow" in 1999. So far they have only released 4 studio albums. "Beyond the Cursed Eclipse" in 1999. "Psychotic Sculpture" in 2001. "Regenisis Creation" in 2006 and finally "Stormwinds Of Ages" in 2012. The band play Symphonic black metal. And they do so very, very well.

Onto the album. The album starts off with an instrumental. It opens with what sounds to be an extremely constipated idiot trying to sound evil, its a good thing the vocals on this album are pretty decent, although typical for Black Metal. After that the music kicks in and builds up. Keyboards and backing chants are used to create atmosphere. After the little build up the music seems to just.. cut out. It just completley stops and starts the next track, not a very fluid transition. I honestly don't see the point in this intro, as never does it feel like its apart of the album. The next track, entitled "Stormwinds Of Ages" does not disappoint. We are greeted to a powerful guitar chord played over epic sounding keyboards, with a typical Black Metal scream coming in over the top. The band is very competant at creating atmosphere, mostly in part to the epic sounding keyboards, fluid transitions and fantastic riffs/leads the band throws at you.

The fourth track feautres backing vocals from an, at this point in time unknown female. She manages to do a pretty good job, never sounding cheesy and never taking anything away from the music. She reappears once or twice through-out the album, and fits in perfectly. At one point in the album, the vocals seemingly change to power metal vocals. It was really quite odd to hear in this type of music, but I do think the band pulled it off well.

Another thing about the album that is note northy are the solos and leads. Solos appear in every song, running the gambit from blistering to slow and methodical. The leads thrown at you help keep the songs sounding fresh and always distinguishing themselves from one another. Some sound desperate, others full of sorrow and all that black metal stuff. Drumming is played well, keeping a constant tempo and changing it up from time to time.

There are a few downsides, one is the run time. At a total of 57 minutes, some may not be able to listen to this in one sitting, and after a while the songs do start to sound same-ish. Also the lyrics are incomprehensible, and I can't find a lyric sheet anywhere. Bass is almost nonexsistent as well.

Overall this album is a fantastic release. I've only ever heard 2 albums from this band, the other being their first "Beyond The Cursed Eclipse" The production is crystal clear (despite not being able to hear the bass) the music is intense, epic and dark. Never sounding pretentious or silly (aside from the intro) and has enough diversity to keep any fan of the genre satisfied.

Score: 4/5

Moonsorrow V: HavitettyAmon Amarth Versus the World
Spinal Tap Shark SandwichOpeth My Arms, Your Hearse

ZedO
August 10th 2012

good first review, pos dude, might check

August 10th 2012

Good first review bro. Pos'd.

In the future you could work on ellaborating on certain key points if you wish to make your reviews a little more cohesive. I did however enjoy your review and look forward t what you do in the future.

Regarding the music, from the two tracks I've listened to, it's solid and while it isn't anything new from what I've heard before in this genre they do have a good sound and write solid music for what it is.

Digging: Deniro Farrar - The Patriarch II

Essence
August 10th 2012

it's pretty decent. much better than most symphonic black metal. wasn't big on their atmosphere, though.

Vakarian12
August 10th 2012

Thanks for the feedback! I'm glad you guys checked the band out, I do think they deserve alot more recognition as the music is damn good.

"In the future you could work on ellaborating on certain key points if you wish to make your reviews a little more cohesive."

Yeah I'll definitely work on this.

August 11th 2012

This band added me on Myspace like 6 years ago haha. Completely forgot they existed until now. I'll give this album a shot.

Storm In A Teacup

*sirens on

*Hawks sighting

*haters converge to this thread

You're a little late.

Storm In A Teacup

oh nose

August 13th 2012

I wasn't expecting too much going into this, but this is actually really good stuff.

FR33L0RD
January 23rd 2013

Gonna get this
seems very good

FR33L0RD
January 31st 2013

Summary: More people need to hear this album.
AGREED with the reviewer.

Maybe...I am a bit too enthusiast.
Or maybe not...this album is filling some empty void inside me that only BM can fill.
This album is working in that department.
It coldly reminds me of the band Old Man's Child, old Dimmu & Nokturnal Mortum.
Thats good news for me.

Vakarian12
April 26th 2013

ahh my first review.

This does indeed rule m/