Megadeth
Peace Sells... but Who's Buying?

by ImTheOnlyThugInTheBuildin USER (142 Reviews)
August 10th, 2012 | 29 replies

Release Date: 1986 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Fucking Perfect

1986. The year that many thrash bands released their most revered material. The year of Master Of Puppets, Reign In Blood, Pleasure To Kill. You know the titles, you know what they stand for, you know the artists. But there is one from that album that stands out the most. One that is often overlooked due to an album that the same band released in 1990 that is considered to be even better.

Of course, i am talking about Megadeth's absolute classic Peace Sells... But Who's Buying, a complete monster of an album, and one of the very few albums that i consider to be completely flawless. The album with Wake Up Dead, Good Mourning/Black Friday, Peace Sells, Devils Island, The conjuring, Bad Omen, My Last Words and the cover of I Ain't Superstitious. Yes, i did just name every song on the album, simply because every song deserves a mention at least once.

Megadeth, Dave Mustaine's band, formed out of the ashes of his career with Metallica as a big "*** you" to his past band mates. In 1985, they released Killing Is My Business, an album that was marred by many flaws, but showed the talent the band possessed on songs such as Mechanix and Looking Down The Cross. But on Peace Sells, the band really honed that talent down, and cut away all loose ends, before diving into an absolute riff fest.

The one go-to example would be Good Mourning/Black Friday, a haunting, evil song, with some of the most brutal riffs the band ever wrote, gore soaked lyrics about a mass murderer with a hammer (remind you of anyone *cough*Cannibal Corpse*cough*). This song starts off with a clean section, containing some fantastic soloing, and a plea from Dave Mustaine , before it breaks off and dives head first into some of the fastest, heaviest stuff to come from the boys. The highlights of this song would definately be the riff work and Dave ***ing Mustaine. His vocals on this song are absolutely demented, in a good way. For anyone who has ever doubted Dave Mustaine's vocal talents, consider this song dedicated to you.

This album is full of absolute gems, another example being Wake Up Dead. Combining a huge amount of solo's with really awesome drumming, and then one of the most headbangable riffs in thrash history in the slower section, this song was a great way to kick off an amazing album, and remains one of the most enduring, listenable cuts Megadeth ever wrote.

The title track needs no introduction, as it is already legendary, but i figured i might as well mention it anyway. A marvellous bass line leads into some hilariously stereotypical lyrics from Dave, delivered in the most sarcastic way ever recorded. Nobody but Dave could have made this song work.

After praise upon praise about the quality of this album, you would expect a few cons. Nope. This album is ***ing flawless, front to back. Every single moment of every single song. Every riff, every vocal line, every bass line, every lyric, every drum beat. Its all perfectly arranged and written, and the production suits it perfectly. Congratulations, Dave, this is your masterpiece. 5 out of 5.

Blood on the Dance Floor It's Hard to Be a Diamond...Katalepsy Autopsychosis
Cryptopsy Whisper SupremacyHades Resisting Success
Metallica Death MagneticBlack Veil Brides We Stitch These Wounds
4.3

Insurrection

this needed another 5 review

Digging: Todd Terje - It's Album Time

August 10th 2012

I agree overlooked album.

truekebabpower
August 10th 2012

wait just a second insurrection...was that sarcasm ? great, now I'm doing it too

YoWassupBros
August 10th 2012

Dave Mustaine, your voice is heavenly blessed by angels. Your band is good and lovely. It has the ability.

TheNotrap
August 10th 2012

My Last Words remains my favourite speed metal track. Album rules damn hard.

Digging: Funebrarum - The Sleep of Morbid Dreams

NightProwler

Yeah, good stuff

Digging: Pallbearer - Foundations of Burden

NightProwler
August 10th 2012

I need to listen to the original album. I've only heard the remastered on Spotify a couple of times. You can barely hear the vocals.

ZedO

CLASSIC!

MeatSalad
August 10th 2012

"But there is one from that album that stands out the most."

Digging: Hey Rosetta! - Into Your Lungs (And Around in Your Heart and on

August 10th 2012

My Last Words is their best song.

MeatSalad

Agreed man

Da11thMytrillSphere
August 10th 2012

My last words and devil's island are my foavrite one. Good mouring black friday is also a badass tracks.

facupm
August 10th 2012

excellent stuff, but I prefer MoP and AtL over it.

FadeToBlack

really

FadeToBlack
August 10th 2012

yeah so far so good kind of sucks

BodomThrashMachine

excellent stuff, but I prefer MoP and AtL over it. [2]

I should listen to it at least one more time though :s

Liar? Seriously?

Insurrection
August 10th 2012

in my darkest hour is my fav off this

August 10th 2012

Off SFSGSW I think Set The World Afire is their best, but Into The Lungs Of Hell is a close second.

macadoolahicky
August 10th 2012

"I agree overlooked album."

Dafuq you mean overlooked?