Megadeth
Peace Sells... but Who's Buying?

by ImTheOnlyThugInTheBuildin USER (142 Reviews)
August 10th, 2012 | 35 replies | 1,991 views

Release Date: 1986 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Fucking Perfect

1986. The year that many thrash bands released their most revered material. The year of Master Of Puppets, Reign In Blood, Pleasure To Kill. You know the titles, you know what they stand for, you know the artists. But there is one from that album that stands out the most. One that is often overlooked due to an album that the same band released in 1990 that is considered to be even better.

Of course, i am talking about Megadeth's absolute classic Peace Sells... But Who's Buying, a complete monster of an album, and one of the very few albums that i consider to be completely flawless. The album with Wake Up Dead, Good Mourning/Black Friday, Peace Sells, Devils Island, The conjuring, Bad Omen, My Last Words and the cover of I Ain't Superstitious. Yes, i did just name every song on the album, simply because every song deserves a mention at least once.

Megadeth, Dave Mustaine's band, formed out of the ashes of his career with Metallica as a big "*** you" to his past band mates. In 1985, they released Killing Is My Business, an album that was marred by many flaws, but showed the talent the band possessed on songs such as Mechanix and Looking Down The Cross. But on Peace Sells, the band really honed that talent down, and cut away all loose ends, before diving into an absolute riff fest.

The one go-to example would be Good Mourning/Black Friday, a haunting, evil song, with some of the most brutal riffs the band ever wrote, gore soaked lyrics about a mass murderer with a hammer (remind you of anyone *cough*Cannibal Corpse*cough*). This song starts off with a clean section, containing some fantastic soloing, and a plea from Dave Mustaine , before it breaks off and dives head first into some of the fastest, heaviest stuff to come from the boys. The highlights of this song would definately be the riff work and Dave ***ing Mustaine. His vocals on this song are absolutely demented, in a good way. For anyone who has ever doubted Dave Mustaine's vocal talents, consider this song dedicated to you.

This album is full of absolute gems, another example being Wake Up Dead. Combining a huge amount of solo's with really awesome drumming, and then one of the most headbangable riffs in thrash history in the slower section, this song was a great way to kick off an amazing album, and remains one of the most enduring, listenable cuts Megadeth ever wrote.

The title track needs no introduction, as it is already legendary, but i figured i might as well mention it anyway. A marvellous bass line leads into some hilariously stereotypical lyrics from Dave, delivered in the most sarcastic way ever recorded. Nobody but Dave could have made this song work.

After praise upon praise about the quality of this album, you would expect a few cons. Nope. This album is ***ing flawless, front to back. Every single moment of every single song. Every riff, every vocal line, every bass line, every lyric, every drum beat. Its all perfectly arranged and written, and the production suits it perfectly. Congratulations, Dave, this is your masterpiece. 5 out of 5.