Illogicist
The Unconsciousness of Living

by Joxer The Mighty USER (20 Reviews)
August 10th, 2012 | 11 replies | 1,429 views

Review Summary: A progressive metal gem with a truly "Symbolic" sound.

Not knowing about “Illogicist” should be considered a sin, but it’s fairly reasonable why it’s not because the Bible doesn’t make any sense. To be honest I didn’t know about this band either until they released this progressive metal gem called “The Unconsciousness of Living” which no one seemed to notice. That is a shame it really is. But I don’t blame you. There is a lot of great bands out there (duh) but this one
really stands out from the other garbage that you might find when you scan through the internet or your local album store.

Borrowing the sound from Death’s “Symbolic and forward era” “The Unconsciousness of Living” might be considered a “Death” clone, but I hardly think so (I’m going to refer to “Death” a lot so this is important).

The first song of this album called “Ghost Of Unconsciousness” is pretty much the “main” track because the name refers to the name of the album and because of the fact it’s arguably the best track on the entire CD. The third riff on this song (which appears around 35 seconds) has a strong resemblance to the song “Without Judgment” from “Symbolic”. It’s not a complete ripoff, but you can definitely hear a big likeness. A lot of people might think: This is just a stupid copy of Death! But for me that’s a good thing since "Without Judgment" is in my opinion one of Death’s best tracks. The vocals are also similar to Chuck’s voice which also is a good thing. That one riff from “Ghost Of Unconsciousness” is just of course only one of many things that this band have “loaned” from “Death”, but it’s the total sound and atmosphere which was taken from “Death“ and remastered in “The Unconsciousness of Living”.

Overall “The Unconsciousness of Living” features great guitar riffs plus solos and a heavy pronounced bassline. The drum work is also outstanding with complex patterns and it’s just really fast and epic in general. The vocals as I stated before are also very good. Not as strong as the other components, but good nonetheless. None of the songs gets boring after a couple of listens which provides the album with a replay value that is out of this world.

So far I have only praised the album so why not give it a 5/5? That’s because there really is nothing bad to say about it, but as expected it’s not a death metal masterpiece that will elevate the entire genre too a new level. Even so it’s a fantastic album that is worth checking out.

Whispered Shogunate MacabreI Shall Move the Earth Blueprints MMXIII
Pig Destroyer Prowler in the YardRotting Christ Sanctus Diavolos
Eyeconoclast Drones of the AwakeningEmperor In the Nightside Eclipse

August 9th 2012

This is my first review so...constructive criticism and all that good stuff...please?

YUJOS
August 9th 2012

Good review for a first on man! Pos! Hope to see doing more reviews in the future. One small complain here. I believe you should expand more of the reasons in your last paragraph as to why you gave this album a 4.5.

Digging: Aosoth - Ashes of Angels

August 9th 2012

I've only heard Subjected by this band. Passable in my opinion.

Good review dude.

Digging: Gamma Ray - Empire of the Undead

August 9th 2012

Thanks for the feedback guys! It's highly appreciated.

I will think about that next time, Yujos.

This is way better than Subjected though.

Voivod
August 10th 2012

Decent review for a first.

I've only heard Subjected by this band. Passable in my opinion.

Agreed.

Their second album is probably their best, featuring the "drummer of drummers" Marco Minnemann.

Digging: Mekong Delta - In A Mirror Darkly

Shuyin

album fucking rules

Digging: All the Empires of the World - Sunscraper

August 10th 2012

Good First review bro, pos.

I listened to two songs off this. imo the compositions aren't that strong. Certain riffs lose their impact due to transistions that don't make sense.

Keep reviewing bro. You're a cool guy.

Digging: Deniro Farrar - The Patriarch II

album fucking rules
Yes indeed! And by the way, Shuyin...that is probably the best Rurouni Kenshin avatar I have ever seen.

Keep reviewing bro. You're a cool guy.
Ohhhhh...the warmth of the Sputnik embrace. Thanks Captain! I will certainly review more albums. I'm actually working on a new one already.

Wizard
August 10th 2012

the entire genre too a new level.

*to

A few errors like this throughout and fix the paragraphs. Good first review. I still need to hear this.

Digging: Triptykon - Melana Chasmata

branflakes911
March 18th 2013

I haven't taken to this album like "The Insight Eye". I'm not really sure why though. The latter was just such a combination of complex and catchy, whereas this one was a little more mechanistic and arbitrary. That said, it looms as an unexplored enigma... I always like getting around to it. Pretty cool band, taking Death and ramping it up to a different level.

JamesLentil
November 13th 2013

This looks interesting. I may need to check this out. Your review was written very well and I pos'd.