Love and Death

by Philip Whitehead USER (34 Reviews)
August 8th, 2012 | 8 replies

Review Summary: If only this were released 10 years ago...

Brian "Head" Welch has pretty much disappeared from the public eye since his Born Again Christianity and departure from Korn. However, the emergence of his new band, Love and Death, had me intrigued. Being someone that is often seen as stuck in 2001 I was hopeful when I heard about a new nu metal band fronted by the guy that contributed to Korn's best albums (their first 4). Needless to say I wasn't disappointed.

Lyrically the songs can seem a bit preachy to some and definitely angsty (but this is nu metal, what do you really expect?) but looking past that there is some great music to be heard on L&D's first release, the Chemicals EP. Paralyzed utilises some good atmospherics and has the classic nu metal chug and bounce in its riffwork. The cover of Devo's Whip It is catchy and appeals to the inner 14 year old, with a guest appearance from Matt Baird of Spoken. Chemicals is the weakest of the 3 actual songs but is another piece of fresh and catchy nu metal that is always nice to hear after the scene virtually died in the mid-00s and the quality dropped within the genre. After this are a couple of remixes by Har Meggido of the two original L&D tracks. The Paralyzed remix adds a little more to the atmospherics but isn't really needed on the EP, not is the Chemicals remix. More original content would be nice, but we're told there will be an album in 2013 so that's something to look forward to.

Overall this is a very good EP, and I'm very much looking forward to the album. Vocally, Head sounds a lot like Jonathan Davis on a good day so this could even sound like a new Korn release at times (albeit without the dubstep), and even better than a lot of the recent stuff the older band have been putting out. Perhaps Head really was the brains behind their best stuff. It's a shame this stuff won't get much attention though. If it were released 10 years ago during the peak of nu metal (when Limp Bizkit scored a UK Number One with Rollin' (Air Raid Vehicle) and Slipknot topped the album charts with Iowa) then it would've done pretty well for itself but alas, that isn't the case.

Goodbye to Gravity Mantras of WarFrank Carter and the Rattlesnakes Blossom
Works of Flesh PlaguedThe Shizit Soundtrack For The Revolution
Realm Unseen The OriginUnleashing My Demons Tran​(ce​)​scen(e​)dance

August 7th 2012

I know it's short but how much can one really write about 5 songs, especially when 2 are remixes and only 2 are original content?

Digging: Goodbye to Gravity - Mantras of War

August 7th 2012

Lose "rather" in the first sentence

August 7th 2012

good review. I think they have potential. This EP was better than the new Korn album, that's for sure.

Digging: Kinoko Teikoku - Neko to Arerugi

August 8th 2012

Wow, what the hell? I had no idea this got released already.

August 8th 2012

Paralyzed was not too special but I'll give this a listen anyway

August 8th 2012

Just realised this was my 200th album rating. Think that justifies me reviewing it.

May 7th 2013

Unsurprisingly sounding a lot like early Korn on their debut EP 'Chemicals', Love and Death are a nu-metal quartet fronted by ex-Korn guitarist Brian “Head” Welch. Filled with down-tuned guitars and trying to sound simultaneously aggressive & melodic, this is a solid - if rather dated - release. Two songs appear in both original & remix versions, while a strange cover of Devo's 'Whip It' is also included. Everything is technically competent, not much is especially memorable, but there's enough promise in this little taste test of a release to suggest that the band's forthcoming LP will at least be worth a listen. Recommended Tracks: Paralyzed & Whip It.

Site Copyright 2005-2014