Heroin
Heroin

by Adam S. USER (6 Reviews)
August 6th, 2012 | 15 replies | 1,770 views

Release Date: 1997 | Tracklist

Review Summary: The discography of one of the forefathers of screamo.

Heroin formed in 1989, during the oft-called emo explosion that took place on the East coast of America. Yeah that’s right, the oft-called emo explosion. Anyway, around this time, a number of bands were taking the stylings of the hardcore punk scene in a new direction. Yells and screams as opposed to shouts and singing were in more common usage and there was a development of more melody, etc into songs.

This release is their discography, containing the tracks from both their EPs and their self-titled full-length. First up are the six songs that were on their All About Heroin EP with my highlight being the opener, ‘Headcold’. Personally, I think that EP is the best example of Heroin’s work. Every song is an excellent representation of their energetic, angsty style, with relatively simple song structures but punchy vocals and strong guitar lines. Tracks like ‘Leave’, from their second EP, maintain these ideas, which for the time, were fairly innovative. The songs from Heroin (the LP that was released in 1993), are effectively a development of the songs from their EPs. I suppose you could say the guitars are more tuneful but to me, the bass is less weighty and their sound is less appealing than it was on the EPs. I’m not saying the tracks are bad, far from it, they just tend to be less memorable.

Heroin’s straightforward approach to what was a new direction for hardcore punk at the time would prove to leave a huge influence on the scene. The vocalist would later be a member of Antioch Arrow, another band whose very original, sometimes bizarre style lead to more development in the genre. Listening to Heroin’s discography in full would take you less than an hour and would probably be a very good listening experience for most, but I’ll forgive you if you decide to pass and just listen to their first EP, All About Heroin.

Morpheus Descends Chronicles of the Shadowed OnesWooderson Let The Man Speak
Saetia Demo CassetteKukim Live Morgantown Sound Radio Show
Yaphet Kotto The Killer Was in the Government Blankets

V. late soz guys.

August 6th 2012

weed is better, but good rev pos.

Digging: Deniro Farrar - The Patriarch II

August 6th 2012

Thanks for the interest, did this review for WeepingBanana's review thingy.

Have listened to a few Undone tracks but not any full releases, need to though. I'm making a huge list of French emo/screamo and they're a sizeable part of the beginning! Solid stuff man

Hep Kat
August 6th 2012

great band. i went through a phase about 2 years ago where i listened to these guys constantly

Digging: Fucked Up - Year of the Dragon

August 6th 2012

Yeah I really like them, but for me it's usually just play through All About Heroin a couple of times and then go listen to Honeywell or something

WeepingBanana

fuck yeah, nice review

sweet

Digging: Banner Pilot - Souvenir

bungy

Cool

FilupLees
August 10th 2012

I started a review of this at one point but ended up scrapping it. I think they actually formed in '89, which is kind of important, as it explains their influence on the rest of San Diego even more.

Also, one (or more?) Of their members was in Clikatat Ikatowi, who made some crazy, chaotic post-punk/emo without being particularly hardcore. Really great stuff,and way ahead of their time considering when they existed.

August 12th 2012

Yeah i found it quite hard to write. Didn't know they formed earlier, i'll edit the review, cheers dude.

I've heard of Clikatat Ikatowi but never tried them out, description sounds sweet, gonna check at some point.

eternium

Just a 3? Come on.

August 12th 2012

Literally just noticed that, I'll bump it up a bit

Spec

very nice

demigod!
March 30th 2013

im loving heroin so far!

spookynewghostfriend