Miroist
The Pledge

by Cultclassical USER (51 Reviews)
August 3rd, 2012 | 15 replies

Review Summary: While The Pledge won’t take you on an unknown voyage into the scary black waters of metal, they are a sturdy ship on which to sail...

To clarify, I’m no metal head. The vast black oceans of metal are for the most part a scary mystery to me. To further clarify I don’t review things to show off my meager writing chops, I review things so they can get a little exposure. Miroist are an instrumental progressive metal group from London (UK) that deserve a little exposure. They have made a technically saavy, but very easy to listen to EP that utilizes their tendency towards the melodic to extenuate their prowess in song writing.

Song writing is a huge draw for this group as each song of the three songs has a distinct feel and energy imbued in it. Each of the songs is filled with djental grooves and all round excellent guitar play, but this also isn’t a band that pulls out the proverbial broom and goes on a sweep fest. Throughout the EP the band rarely lets off the gas pedal once they get on it and it never takes long for them to stomp on it.

Due to the epicness of all of the songs, it wouldn’t be out of line to describe this record as having a post-rock or post-metal feel to all of them. Each segment flows seamlessly into the next and before you know it, you’re in the middle of the next song and had no idea. Musically there’s nothing wrong that can be said as far as my ears are concerned.

Due to the inherent nature of metal, it is repetitive to a degree and it's highly doubtful that this EP will change your mind if you’re against it. However I would still recommend it to them and all fans of metal. While The Pledge won’t take you on an unknown voyage into the scary black waters of metal, they are a sturdy ship in which to sail on.

Follow The White Rabbit EndorphiniaThrice The Alchemy Index Vol. II: Water
He Is Legend Heavy FruitWeird Al Yankovic Mandatory Fun
Kashiwa Daisuke/Koby Israelite SplitCasey Crescenzo Amour and Attrition

August 3rd 2012

LOL fuk I put Animal as Leader...oh well this EP is pretty good of not a little repetitive..

And it's free come on:

ZedO
August 3rd 2012

"To clarify, I’m no metal head."

yeah, that the trvth, your pie-chart shows that!

August 3rd 2012

lol I'd like to think I know good music when i hear it though even if I don't listen to a lot of metal

August 3rd 2012

Your review was too short and lacked effective detail. But for your third review you're doing a decent-good job so keep it up and work on your detailing. Pos.

I listened to album and I really don't like it at all. I know these djent artists are trying to make good music but they all sound the same and I felt there was little emotion and all the djent accents are really annoying imo.

Digging: Fleurety - Min Tid Skal Komme

FelixCulpa
August 3rd 2012

Did you find this when you downloaded the new Cloudkicker album? Saw he had recommended it when I got to the download page on bandcamp.

August 3rd 2012

Thanks Capt I thought someone would say that, three songs are kinda hard for me to write a lot on but thank you.

@Felix yep lol

August 4th 2012

I liked this review. Someone who isn't always listening to metal, reviewing a metal album. Pos'd

Ignimbrite

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZXS_UFbGh4 - 1:15

I GET IT!! and thanks for the feedback

FuzzyWookie
August 9th 2012

In summary, "While The Pledge won’t take you on an unknown voyage into the scary black waters of metal, they are a sturdy ship on which to sail..."

You don't need that extra preposition in there.

August 11th 2012

Pretty cool. I forgot about that movie

johnnydeking29
August 18th 2012

Good review, this is ok

Digging: Kayo Dot - Coffins On Io

sexpoi
September 12th 2012

I really liked this EP but I think a big detractor is the mixing. When the extra layers kick in you really have to sift through the different sounds to find them. This is an extremely solid and somewhat different take on djent, imo, and I think with better mixing it could have been even better.