Worm Ouroboros
Come the Thaw

by King Henry VIII USER (63 Reviews)
August 2nd, 2012 | 14 replies | 2,875 views

Review Summary: True beauty can always be found in the most tranquil form of existence.

To be honest with you, I literally know nothing about Worm Ouroboros. They're one of those bands that the occasional user on Sputnikmusic will come across while looking at 'best of' lists (or lists in general) hoping to find something that they've overlooked, and sometimes something even more magical to go alongside their favorite albums of all time. In this case, I was looking at 'best of' lists so far from 2012 and I came upon Come the Thaw by Worm Ouroboros. Just like everyone else who looks for music (or at least the majority), a person's interest is usually sparked by the visual appearance; the album art. The album art is quite eerie when you look at it with a deeper observation instead of a quick glance. Especially when you see sorrowful eyes on the deer who's had their antlers broken off. A personal compliment goes straight to the artist for such vivid detail that outlines the total vibe of this melancholic journey presented in Come the Thaw.

For an album that was released back in March, it's truly hard to believe that this was overlooked that month. But then again, I'm not too surprised that they're aren't well know, so it makes perfect sense to see why Come the Thaw isn't getting its praise that it rightfully deserves. But, it's apart of the natural process of finding beauty. You can't completely rely on others, thankfully with today's technology it's easier to find music that almost seems life changing in ones mood immediately, but it's still a rare feat.

The first song on the album may be ten and a half minutes long, but it becomes a song that slows down time upon your listen when you have your complete utmost attention capitulating towards the music. Only true beauty can capture that form of space time continuum. While the album seems like one long song all together, it respectably holds various melancholic moods presented that keeps changing in variety that ultimately holds a flow that seems to give the illusion of one song, but reality shows that it's six ethereal songs

From male and female vocal harmonies that focuses around what seems to be a darker vocal arrangement similar to Ulver's Kveldssanger. To a broader format of depressing female vocals gives the album's mood of melancholy. With melodic guitar arpeggios and riffs that have post-rock influences that aren't consisting of the same level of climax presented in every post rock song made by God is an Astronaut, it also has a touch of doom influence as well as other genres. To compliment the guitars we also see a melodic bass that adds atmosphere rather then playing root notes, which, together both types of guitars keep an underlying layer of melody behind the female vocals. Along with dynamic drums that change consistently in mood, tempo, and style only perfect the melancholic mood that has already been presented by the other musicians. Surprisingly enough, the drums play a huge role in the music's shifts throughout the album only to prove that guitars aren't the only instrument that can add atmosphere and melody, which refrains the album from being monotonous. With all of these characteristics, Come the Thaw becomes a wonderful journey within the melancholic realm of music.

Personally, I would go to the lengths and recommend this album to any post-rock, prog rock, and prog metal fan out there. If you can somehow spare fifty-one minutes of your free time, and listen to this album in complete silence and solitude. Then by all means sit back and relax, and enjoy. Come the Thaw is truly a work of art that has been overlooked this year, and probably one of the best albums this year as well.

Edguy Space Police - Defenders of the CrownPowerwolf Preachers of the Night
Dark Tranquillity ConstructGamma Ray Master of Confusion
Stratovarius NemesisIn the Silence A Fair Dream Gone Mad

August 2nd 2012

Even if this was released back in March, I still believe this deserves a 'best new music' stamp of approval.

Wizard

19210 Comments

Damn good review but I have to disagree, this was mighty boring. I more found this to be just bizarre like their last album.

Digging: Monarch - Sabbracadaver

Rail
August 2nd 2012

Might look into this. Jessica Way is guesting on the new Ash Borer album.

Digging: Tipper - Forward Escape

August 2nd 2012

@Wizard thanks for the compliment. Maybe the album just clicked with me, I would say re-listen to it when you're all alone, because it sounds like an album meant just for that reason, who knows. Personally i don't see how you can find this bizarre, but I can see where you'd say it's boring.

FadedSun
August 2nd 2012

Good review. I'm going to listen to this based on your review. I hope I like it.

FadedSun
August 2nd 2012

For anyone interested: http://www.npr.org/2011/03/28/134822951/worm-ouroboros-in-concert

August 2nd 2012

Good review, will check this out soon.

August 3rd 2012

Good review bro pos. you got this up quick. Really good album, still workin in getting this.

Digging: IQ - The Road of Bones

August 3rd 2012

Thanks for the feed back brahs! I'm pretty sure that 95% of the website would dig the hell out of this album.

btw it's on youtube

August 3rd 2012

yea it's all over youtube, needs much more attention so I try to include this on any future lists that I may make.

As well as even maybe even making a list just to draw attention to this particular album. Really is amazing and I can't wait till I can get it on my -ipod so I can give it many proper listens.

August 3rd 2012

Sweet dude. Tbh I got this off of a rar on mediafire, but this is definitely gonna be an album worth the actual purchase of the physical form.

August 3rd 2012

Yeah man I'm always down to support my favorite bands/albums

Willie
January 15th 2014

Listening to this for the first time. I like it, but it's definitely going to be a grower.

Digging: Emperor - In The Nightside Eclipse - 20th Year Anniversary

PiedradeLuna
June 9th 2014

This album is chalk full of cathartic moments... meditative and relaxing.
Good review, by the way