The Strokes
Angles

by mike2916 USER (1 Reviews)
August 2nd, 2012 | 14 replies | 1,166 views

Review Summary: The incredibly anticipated, overdue (and long-awaited) release from one of the best bands of the 2000s. Assumed to either signify the death of The Strokes or deliver a triumphant return to glory, the boys from NYC manage to overcome the obstacles and eme

This album continues to grow on me like a malignant tumor with each additional listening. At first I had a hard time digesting a majority of the tracks yet after further thought and assessment I now am in love with this album and consider it to be among their best work yet. I have been a fan of The Strokes since roughly 2001 or so, about a year before the British press (and NME in particular) yet again proclaimed another up-and-coming rock band to be the messiah and savior of the rock & roll scene. The immense buzz surrounding "Is This It" was well-deserved, admittedly (as was the hype for the debut LP from the Arctic Monkeys; a quite similar happenstance), because it's a damn great album.

After the disappointment I considered "First Impressions..." to be, the video and single release for "Under Cover of Darkness" before Angles officially dropped had me quite excited for what was to come. As a single, it is pretty much everything that makes the Strokes so unique and catchy - crafted into a 4 minute long pop gem. The guitar riffs and pinch harmonics ooze classic Strokes style and are a definitely welcome return to form.

While I am definitely of the opinion like some of the rest of you on here that there are a few week tracks, namely the (now clich├ęd) slow/experimental tunes that they seem to include on their albums now. But the good songs, of which there are several, are not just good - they are great. In my opinion Macchu Pichu is a serious contender for the catchiest song they've ever written. The layered riffs and little overlays dubbed throughout the song create an audio treat, especially on a quality pair of headphones.

Gratisfaction is another track that is bound to grow on you. The chorus has a means of getting stuck in your head for days. Taken For a Fool, You're So Right, Life is Simple in the Moonlight are also very good songs - and Metabolism, despite it's Juicebox/Heart in a Cage-esque bass riff has definitely come to agree with my listening tastes.

It's not as solid as an album as "Is This It?" is if you're judging it as an album to be played straight through - however some of the tracks on here are among the best in their catalog. I'd put it right on par evenly with "Room on Fire" and it's unquestionably a stronger effort than "First Impressions".

Very excited to see where this band goes from here.

3.2
good

This has like the most reviews for a 500 ratings album

intotheshit
August 2nd 2012

A malignant tumor? No thanks.

Storm In A Teacup

i didnt like it generous 2.5

barcafan21

1909 Comments

average review. AWESOME ALBUM

Digging: The Antlers - Hospice

ZackSh33
August 2nd 2012

Love "Taken for A Fool," "Under Cover of Darkness." Not as good as their other stuff.

Alright review, but there are some spelling mistakes (weak, not week), and your opening statement is cut off. Also, you should try to italicize album names and put quotation marks around song names.

LifeAsAChipmunk
August 2nd 2012

This book series I'm reading keeps telling me how much the Strokes blow.

WatchItExplode
August 2nd 2012

This is really good until my sugar buzz wears off...

Rules, pos

Digging: Anberlin - Lowborn

newjunkaesthetic93
August 2nd 2012

Over a year later and I can still enjoy listening to this. It definitely exceeded my expectations, but I'd still say it's their weakest album.

Musicface42
August 2nd 2012

Great review. I haven't heard the album yet, but Is This It is one of my favorites.

HelplessnessBlues
August 3rd 2012

i don't think this quite lives up to their other stuff. its not bad, not great though

mike2916
August 4th 2012

Yeah just noticed the spelling errors now. I suppose that's what I get for hastily typing my review on an iPad touchscreen keyboard. Thanks for the kind feedback. This is my first "official" review of many more to come, and will definitely adhere to the suggestions regarding italics and formatting for future contributions. I had initially added this as a comment to an existing thread but it returned a notice that suggested due to my review's length that I copy and paste it as an individual review on its own.

Anyway, glad to be a part of this great community. Seeing the Strokes (with Jimmy Fallon and The Mooney Suzuki as opening acts) all the way back in November 2001 at their homecoming NYC gig still remains to this day one of the top three live music experiences in my life.

mike2916
August 4th 2012

PS: how can I edit the review? I can see that the opening summary was cut short and I'm a bit of a perfectionist.

ZackSh33
August 6th 2012

If you go to my profile, on the left it says "edit reviews." It's a bit tedious for only a few errors! Your review was well written, but I'd love to see you expand your ideas a little bit/give more analysis. pos'd, look forward to seeing more of your stuff