Anais Mitchell
Young Man in America

by Andru Okenuf USER (32 Reviews)
August 2nd, 2012 | 12 replies | 2,691 views

Review Summary: Straightforward but full of passion, Anais’ latest effort is a gorgeous composition that shows she’s as capable as anyone making folk music today

Even though she’s not a household name, Anais Mitchell has been doing this for a while. Growing up on a farm in Addison County, Vermont, she began writing and performing songs in 1998 at the age of 17 and recorded her first album ‘The Song They Sang... When Rome Fell’ in a single afternoon in 2002. Her 2010 release ‘Hadestown’, a concept album dealing with the ancient Greek myth of Orpheus and Eurydice, included collaborations from Ani DiFranco, Justin Vernon of Bon Iver and Ben Knox Miller of The Low Anthem, amongst others.

Taking a step back from her foray into folk opera, Mitchell’s latest effort, 'Young Man in America’ is very organic and approachable. As a storyteller, she’s in top form, weaving in themes from rural America and drawing from her personal experience throughout the album. In the soft, contemplative opening tracks Wilderland and Young Man in America, she introduces the powerful imagery of fathers as the shepherds of their families and mothers as shelter. Father shepherd guides the young man throughout the LP, while mother shelter appears more rarely, but always to comfort and support.

“Nothing’s gonna stop me now”, she repeats in Coming Down before continuing, “I think I’m coming down”. Powerfully bringing back down to earth any manic energy in the air and bringing emotions into a new serene and calm atmosphere, this song was covered by Bon Iver on their recent tour. This track serves as the climax of the 1st half of the album and while strong as a standalone track fits perfectly into the context of the songs surrounding it.

Aside from Venus, which sounds like a cheap take on The Grateful Dead’s Sugar Magnolia, the album is very consistent, with the rising Dying Day and softer Tailor showing opposite ends of an emotional spectrum only she seems capable of conveying. And reeling it all in are You are Forgiven and Ships, which serve as the final bit of heat to melt hearts into a carefree bliss.

While I personally cannot relate to much of the rural imagery conveyed and am not enough of an authority on folk music to comment on particular styles she explores, this is an album that anyone can enjoy. Whether you’re trying to calm yourself down after a long day or simply want to admire the beautiful pipes of the lead singer, this LP will not disappoint.

Mylo Destroy Rock And RollThe xx Coexist
The Future Sound of London LifeformsTricky Maxinquaye
Exoplanet Nothing Divides Us HereNicolas Jaar Don't Break My Love

August 1st 2012

This took me long enough to write -- not sure how I feel about it now that it's out there. But you should totally listen to it!

Coming Down ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmwtQXRRiWg )

Young Man in America ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jEPwuSYG6Y )

Ships - abridged ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpwLnFLyjjc )

Digging: Aphex Twin - Syro

mindleviticus
August 1st 2012

Sweet review man, pos'd.

I'm not really interested in this kind of music so I don't think I'll listen to the whole thing but I'll check out a few songs from it

mx gave this a 4.5 tho so it's gotta be amazing

MO
August 2nd 2012

ooo new folk nice, good review man

Chrisjon89
August 2nd 2012

good review man. pos'd. Only listened once so far but I enjoyed it. Still gotta check Hadestown.

mindleviticus
August 2nd 2012

this is actually pretty good, I may check out the whole thing then. : )

August 2nd 2012

How did you put so many albums in the recommended by reviewer I thought you could only put like 4 unless you're staff

Digging: Tiny Moving Parts - Pleasant Living

August 2nd 2012

each time you edit it you can put out an additional 3. dunno if there's actually even a cap on the total number lol

Eclecticist
December 27th 2012

Anus Mitchell

December 27th 2012

so mature butcheredchildren. so mature

SgtPepper
December 28th 2012

Congrats on the feature, aokuneff!
POS'd on the review.

Digging: Shabazz Palaces - Lese Majesty

WeepingBanana
December 28th 2012

is that sean penn on the cover?