Black Veil Brides
Rebels

by Jacob Russell USER (29 Reviews)
August 2nd, 2012 | 21 replies | 2,809 views

Review Summary: Is fourth time the charm with this notoriously terrible band?

Black Veil Brides are notorious to say the least. They're often considered just another screamo band full of underweight boys dressed in black for "goth" teenage girls to cream their pants over. For the most part, this is true. They have yet to make a truly impressive release that differentiates themselves in any way from the rest of the generic metalcore out there. The only thing that makes them the slightest bit different is that the lead singer, Andy Biersack, doesn't have a high and whiney voice. He instead has a deep and whiney voice, which is honestly a pretty good thing.

Rebels is certainly the best release by this band so far, but that's not really saying much considering the band's track record. I feel I have to bring this up because many people see the name on the album cover and immediately rate it a one. Then they see the tracklist and immediately accuse them of raping the good name of legends such as Kiss and Billy Idol, but I digress.

The EP opens with "Coffin" which is a teeny tiny baby step in the right direction for the band. While it's sound is still nothing special, nor is the writing, the singing is somewhat catchy. It has a beat that can actually stay in your head even if you don't choose to remember the medicore lyrics. Instruments are played in a passable manner, and I've never had much of a problem with Andy's voice. I like that it's deep, especially when you take a look at the guy. You don't expect a voice like this from him, not to mention he's become slightly less monotone than he was back on the release of We Stitch These Wounds, which I have had the displeasure of listening to in full.

Then, comes the screaming in the bridge of the song. This is one of the bands biggest downfalls. Biersack's screaming is annoying, bland, generic, and insanely unnecessary and pointless. I really have nothing else to say on the topic, and get used to the screams. They pop up a few more times throughout the EP.

"Rebel Yell" is a classic song. Even if you're unfamiliar with the title, you've probably heard the song before, and honestly, this cover is pretty decent. Nothing spectacular, but it's truly one of the bands most tolerable songs. It's somewhat groovin', catchy, fun, energetic, and it's actually pleasant to listen to. The only scream in the song is in the end of the bridge, and it's especially annoying because it's one long one that goes on for about 5-8 seconds and gets higher as it goes.

There's one major complaint I have: some dark, stupid matter in their brains reared it's ugly head and made them decide to change a lyric. The original goes "But when I'm tired and lonely, she sees me to bed." The Black Veil Brides version goes "But when I'm tired and lonely, she gives me head." What on this big, round, blue and green planet of ours made them think to do that? I guess they didn't think stupid kids wouldn't think "sees me to bed" was talking about sex. I know it's a minor thing, but I just fail to see the point in this.

The song is followed by "Unholy" and I'm going to be 100% honest here. This song is legit good. Not fantastic, not great, just good. It's dark. It's heavy. It has Zakk Wylde in it. It's...well, it's metal! This is the one song I've heard by this band that I consider full blown heavy metal. Though, of course, the track isnt' perfect.

There are screams here and there, and there as useless as ever, and something about it makes them even more annoying in this song. Luckily they're pretty few and far between. Also, Andy's low vocal range shows itself like an ugly pimple in this song. Compare it to Kiss's oringal version. Notice how high and low Gene Simmons goes throughout the song. Andy doesn't even touch it. He basically stays on one octave throughout.

The final song is an extended music video version of "Rebel Love Song", which was released on their previous album, Set The World on Fire. This song is nothing special at all. So much for that streak of two decent songs. The lyrics are painfully cliched and bland, which is what you expect from the band. The music video is also pretty meh.

So, we've got the first average release by an awful band. This is still baby steps in becoming a somewhat respectable band, but it's unlikely they're going to continue to improve. As long as it sells, why change it, even if it blows? If you just HAVE to get in on the BVB trend, start here and never look at their other stuff. Let's just hope they don't get any worse from here.

...Oh who am I kidding?

Starbomb StarbombMarilyn Manson Born Villain
Marilyn Manson The High End of LowMarilyn Manson Eat Me, Drink Me
Marilyn Manson The Golden Age of GrotesqueMarilyn Manson Holy Wood
2.3
dragoth (4)
BVB come out with a great EP, just avoid the video....

Djraisor (4)
An Excellent EP That shows the growth of the band from Hollywood, California...

Henry Owens (1.5)
Black Veil Brides ruin all Christmas cheers with this embarrassing release....

MrMungo (4)
Black Veil Brides step up their game for a bigger audience....

August 1st 2012

I've heard a lot of people talking about this band, I've yet to hear anything by them but we've been selling a lot of their stuff lately... mostly young teenage girls, obviously.

Good review, man. A little to biased at times, you want to remain a bit neutral in a review. Describing the music and production without getting too opinionated. But good work, nonetheless.

Digging: Shabazz Palaces - Lese Majesty

Winrar
August 1st 2012

Good review, although some parts were cringe inducing. Pos'd

zaruyache

Pos'd.

Digging: CHVRCHES - The Bones of What You Believe

intotheshit
August 1st 2012

Goddammit. Please stop using the words "emo" and "screamo" to describe music like this.

ZedO
August 1st 2012

I believe this isn't your thing Paper, but it worth listening if are curious to know how terrible it is...

Not screamo
Listen to The Saddest Landscape you pleb

Digging: Tiny Moving Parts - Pleasant Living

@Zed
It's definitely not, but I am a curious person so I checked out a song on youtube. I think this is one of those "trend" bands that's cool now but certainly wont be remembered 10 years from now.

Don't listen, trust me

August 1st 2012

You know Trebor, I just cant take them seriously when they look... like the way they do.

August 1st 2012

I didn't call them screamo myself. Notice the quote says "They're OFTEN CONSIDERED just another screamo band" I've seen many people write them off as screamo before, but I never considered them that.

poorzack

definitely not screamo.

stopped reading right there

are you dumb

ConcubinaryCode

2066 Comments

Ugh

August 1st 2012

...Nobody listens to me do they? XD Read my above comment.

here's the thing
the music you like makes you a faggot who doesn't know shit about music
and the fact that you wouldn't consider them screamo means you know nothing about what screamo actually is so

yes, you are dumb

August 1st 2012

Oh no. I'm a faggot. Looks like I should go kill myself. That insult was just too hardcore for me, especially since I'm bi. Oh the emotional pain.

Anyway, they're not screamo. They're metalcore. I would think of an example for what I consider screamo, but then again, I tend to try and remove all songs I hear from that genre from my memory. And if I don't know what screamo is, oh well. I'm wrong. No need to get your panties in a bunch though, dude. It's just a review from some faggoty kid on the internet. Nothing to get worked up over. I'm sure you have more important things to worry about.

August 2nd 2012

Anyway, they're not screamo. They're metalcore.

thank you so much for proving my point

August 2nd 2012

No problem! Glad I can be of assistance ^^ Wanna grab some coffee later?

ASnideReturns
February 25th 2014

Coffin's a pretty cool jam.

Digging: There Will Be Fireworks - The Dark, Dark Bright

unaMUSEd
February 25th 2014

Coffin has a breakdown in which Andy attempts to scream which pretty much makes it automatically terrible.

Digging: Of Mice and Men - Restoring Force