Pink Floyd
The Wall

by Hudson Echo USER (14 Reviews)
August 1st, 2012 | 22 replies | 3,265 views

Release Date: 1979 | Tracklist

The eleventh studio album by progressive rock band Pink Floyd, released in 1979, is a concept album, like the previous three albums released by Pink Floyd. The album is about a character named Pink. His father was killed during World War II. He was oppressed by his mother. He had abusive teachers. All of these events are "bricks in the wall." As Pink becomes a rock star, his marriage crumbles, and he deals with drug abuse. Once the wall is complete, Pink is isolated from humanity.

With 26 tracks, you'd expect there to be some filler, and there is. There are also a few tracks that stand out, and are much better than the rest (Another Brick In The Wall, Comfortably Numb, Hey You, Mother, etc.). Many tracks could have easily been left off the album, musically, but because of the concept, some of the tracks are needed. Almost all of the songs on the wall segue into the next track, so some tracks seem to blend together. The Wall is pretty much one 81-minute song broken up into 26 parts. The more I think about it, the more sane it seems. The Wall really could have been released as a Thick as a Brick, epic, one gargantuan song album.

There's a lot of experimentation on this album, with a lot of speech fragments and sound effects. Sonically, The Wall is very strong. The mood is a little erratic, but The Wall flows so well. The songs go hand in hand with one another.

There's one song I have to talk about on The Wall, and it's Comfortably Numb. It's definitely the best song on the album, and it serves as a sort of climax of the wall. It's the longest song, also. The verses are great, with very good lyrics, and the chorus soars. The best part of the song for me, though, is the solo/outro. It's one of the greatest solos I've heard. It's just so epic.

While it isn't Pink Floyd's best, it definitely has it's moments, and it's a cohesive piece of art. The concept is great and relevant, and it's a little experimental. The Wall's strongest moment, Comfortably Numb, is brilliant.

This album is Pink Floyd's last great album. It's a great, great piece of art, and it completes the tetralogy of the best albums put out by the best space rock band of all time.

Radiohead The Best OfBig Star #1 Record
Wu-Tang Clan Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers)Weezer The Green Album
Nick Drake Pink MoonKanye West My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
4.3

MO

album's overrated

johnnyblaze
August 1st 2012

agreed. too often this album sacrifices musical quality for the sake of it's concept.

TheNotrap
August 1st 2012

"The best part of the song for me, though, is the solo/outro. It's one of the greatest solos I've heard. It's just so epic."
The greatest in my opinion.

Album's an absolute masterpiece, have a pos.

Digging: Savage Grace - Master Of Disguise

Highly underrated

johnnyblaze
August 1st 2012

that solo is incredible. didn't Gilmour have next to nothing to do with this album, though? besides Mother and Comfortably Numb I don't think he gets any songwriting credits... i could be mistaken though..

MO

"Highly underrated"

wtf

yea tell that to the millions who flock to this album all because roger waters whores the shit out of the live show

August 1st 2012

Yeah roger waters kind of took the job as leader for this

TheNotrap
August 1st 2012

Yeah this is basically a Roger Waters album.

Storm In A Teacup

lol //underrated wtf????? idiom

August 1st 2012

Lol that doesn't make the album any less of a masterpiece

August 1st 2012

And I was being sarcastic lOl

Musicface42
August 1st 2012

Now that I see it, the review looks very short...oh well

evilford
August 1st 2012

"This album is Pink Floyd's last great album"

I saw this discussion up there...technically this is almost all Roger. imo PF, as a cohesive, creative entity ended after Animals.

in any case, The Final Cut is better than this imo. tells the story much better

still a great album tho.

Digging: Spina Bifida - Ziyadah

Graveyard

the madcap laughs....

Digging: Total Control - Typical System

YoYoMancuso
August 1st 2012

good review but a bit short.

SgtPepper
August 1st 2012

We dont need no education....

Digging: Shabazz Palaces - Lese Majesty

awesome album

Digging: Invisible - El jardin de los presentes

MeatSalad

Hey look a 3

Digging: Mr. Bungle - California

Da11thMytrillSphere
August 1st 2012

Hey Teachers, leave the kids alone.

August 2nd 2012