Zao
Where Blood and Fire Bring Rest

by Flut USER (17 Reviews)
July 30th, 2012 | 20 replies | 1,651 views

Release Date: 1998 | Tracklist

Review Summary: The Second Era

Enter the second Era of Zao. New line-up and a new sound. Drummer Jesse, would be the only original member left on this album. With Dan on vocals, Russ and Brett doing Guitars and Bass. This album, even though the band never excepted it to do that good, would become a classic in the genre and help pave the way for future bands and still remain fresh to this day.

This was the perfect transition for Zao. They added a more metal sound, while keeping the hardcore structure intact and keep things diverse. Pummeling down-tuned guitars, dissonant chords, melodic sections, and even a piano instrumental. The vocals are filled with passion and have a shrieking scream that reminds me of Carcass meets hardcore. Its obvious this is where Jimmy Ryan of Haste The Day got his influence from. The Lyrics for the most part talk of how god has been there for Dan, and that he has helped keep his head up high. But for example the song "To Think Of You Is To Treasure An Absent Memory" talks about his friend who committed suicide.

"The beauty of an embrace,
A place to lay down the pain
Where blood and fire bring rest and peace"

Which is said over a melodic chord progression with screamed and the only clean vocals on the album on To Think Of You Is To Treasure An Absent Memory.

Drummer Jesse is at his greatest here, its pretty much what you could expect from him. He absolutely does an amazing job to keep you interested in what he is doing without garnering all the attention. Plenty of great fills and heavy double bass to be heard here. The guitars are diverse, and don't over chug. Most of the songs don't have much chugging, which makes "For A Fair Desire all" much better. The song has its place, easily the heaviest song on the record. Yet the guitars still keep it a bit melodic and interesting. The Latter Rain contains very slow and muddy riffs that slowly build to melodic riffs and pounding chords. The bass is not the best on this record, but either is the production, they get lost in the old school production quality. For the most part the guitars are taking all the attention, but there is still some room for the bass to be heard even with the quality of the production.

Zao's Where Blood and Fire Bring Rest helped shaped the genre, and will always remain a classic. Bands like Underoath, Haste The Day, and As I Lay Dying would not be where they are now if this album never existed. This is a must listen to any metalcore/hardcore fans.

HammerFall Glory to the BraveMisery Signals Mirrors
Misery Signals Of Malice and the Magnum HeartMisery Signals Misery Signals
Aim For The Sunrise No Kings, No ChainsAim For The Sunrise The Bigger Picture; Hope
4.2
Adam Amanse (4.5)
Overall, this album provides everything needed to make a good, heavy record. The ferocity and viciou...

July 30th 2012

I've wanted to review this so bad, for so long.

Digging: Xanthochroid - Blessed He With Boils

I like AILD will I like this

Digging: The Hotelier - Home, Like NoPlace Is There

July 30th 2012

Sup bro pos. one of my friends from back in the days this band so hard. Not my thing from what I can remember but I remember it being decent from what my music tastes were at that time.

Digging: Deniro Farrar - The Patriarch II

SgtPepper
July 30th 2012

Good review, Flutter. I've heard very little by this band, I listened to few stuff from The Funeral Of God but it was good though. I may check this out too. POS'd.

July 30th 2012

thanks guys check this out if you havent

ZedO
July 30th 2012

interesting, it has 4.1 average of user rating...

KjSwantko
July 30th 2012

This wasn't much my style either, but I remember the quality was definitely there.

MichaelSnoxall
July 30th 2012

I just downloaded this, will give it a spin.

YoYoMancuso
July 30th 2012

nice review pos'd, totally agree with the last paragraph

Digging: The Wonder Years - The Greatest Generation

SadAndHolyGlow
July 30th 2012

Good review! It's about time that someone else acknowledges the greatness in this album. I would love to write a review for it soon as well. I'm beyond being a fan of Zao, I'm rather a ZAO GEEK. Most of their albums on here don't have any reviews, so hopefully I can squeeze some in for those as well.

Digging: Renascent - Through Darkness

J0ckstrapsFTW
July 30th 2012

Nice review Flutter. Ill give this a play through and see what all the hype surrounding this band is.

wacknizzle

11948 Comments

Sweet review flutterbro. This album is really sweet, thanks for inspiring me to give Zao another chance. I saw them back in 05, it was a great show but I wasn't my thing back then.

Digging: Lord Mantis - Death Mask

July 31st 2012

thanks guys. yeah give this a play man, shit rules.

SadAndHoly@ yeah man Zao could use more reviews

auberginedreams
July 31st 2012

nice review, i've never really checked these guys out.

thanks bro

if you like metalcore at all, then do.

J0ckstrapsFTW
July 31st 2012

Love the vocals, musically its great but it lacks intensity throughout

ProfessorVeerappan
July 31st 2012

metalcore and this 1 has flown by my head will look into seems to interesting but the other 2 albums
maybe

TheSpaceMan
July 31st 2012

ive only heard funeral of god but liked alot of those tracks, mainly the first half. How does this album compare to those songs?

December 2nd 2012

so yeah dan is still one of the best metalcore vocalists.

BloodandRainbows
December 10th 2012

nice review, will have to check this out.