Merchandise
Children of Desire

by Mr. Lean Mug USER (112 Reviews)
July 24th, 2012 | 24 replies

Review Summary: Fun tunes for fun people.

Brooklyn-based label Katorga Works has been responsible for releasing several landmark punk albums in the last three or four years. Among these are the ripping and controversial Hoax 7”, crowd-punching its way into the hearts of hardcore kids everywhere, the sum of the ever bursting at the seams Denton, Texas scene alt-punk band Wiccans with last year’s excellent Skullduggery, and the hipster NYHC darlings Creem’s self-titled LP out earlier in 2012. Trolling around the web, you’ll find that many internet punx are extremely fond of these three groups- and for good reason, as all three propagate their respective niches in such highfalutin fashion that it’s tantamount to blasphemy to speak down on them in any way.

Based upon this it meant quite a bit when Katorga Works declared that Merchandise’s sophomore full length Children of Desire is “hands-down the best record we've been a part of.” It’s a bold statement that left album with shoes the size of Robert Wadlow’s to fill. It’s also worth noting that Merchandise is comprised of members of bands such as Nazi Dust- whose debut demo is considered by many to be one of the best hardcore releases of its kind in the past decade, Neon Blud, and Cult Ritual. Adding to all this pressure is the fact that Merchandise’s first LP, 2010’s (Strange Songs) In the Dark, was no slouch. That album brilliantly segued through genre dysphoria that would threaten to bury many lesser bands, arriving at a final destination that was somewhere between post-punk, nu-gaze, and hi-fi noise.

Children of Desire doesn’t exactly start where Strange Songs left off, but that proves to be only to Merchandise’s benefit. Children of Desire is first and foremost a pop album, and any listener would do well to keep that in mind. “Time” opens the album with a deep throated, bouncy guitar line and typical smashing post-punk drum fills. Vocalist Carson Cox croons to a lover, singing “we’re still young baby, but we’re getting old…I know your body and I miss it like your voice” and we’re off to the races. His vocals are front and center this time around, unlike past Merchandise releases, and the gambit pays off successfully as his fantastic diction fills the soul of the album.

“Become What You Are” pushes the envelope even farther, sounding something like an amalgamation of late-career Smiths and The Cure, with maybe a little of Teenage Jesus and the Jerks sprinkled on top, particularly as the song devolves from a straightforward rock track with Ian Curtis-approved pop sensibilities into a cacophonous swirl of electronics and keyboards. This song is one of two on the album that pushes past the ten minute mark, previously uncharted territory for Merchandise. The other is closer “Roser Park” which brings the album full circle, recycling the still fresh riff from “Time” into a vast soundscape of lethal cunning and perceptible delicacy. It really brings Children of Desire together in such an impressive configuration, proving that Merchandise can and will continue to live up to the lofty expectations placed upon them.

Freddie Gibbs and The World's Freshest The Tonite ShowDe La Soul Smell The DA.I.S.Y.
Fucked Up Year of the DragonRome Fortune Beautiful Pimp II
Maxo Kream QuiccstrikesSelf Defense Family Try Me

i'm on a roll

cuz

i was wonderin how'd y'all niggas get past me

i been doin this since before nas dropped da nasty

porch
July 24th 2012

preferred strange songs but i need to give this a few more listens

July 24th 2012

i can see how people would prefer strange songs. that album is a lot less "safe" than this one. they're both rad as fuck doe

July 24th 2012

@sonic if you like 80s pop-oriented post-punk, the cure, the smiths, jesus and the mary chain, etc. than yeah, this is worth two shits

July 24th 2012

yeah bro expand that ass for me no homo bromo

oh yeah and i forgot to mention this album is LEGALLY FREE TO DOWNLOAD WTF

Kiran
July 24th 2012

got this a couple days ago, stoked to listen when the sound on my laptop has come back from the dead!

carouse
July 24th 2012

Great to see that this got reviewed. "Become What You Are" is such a powerhouse of a song, definitely pos'ing the review.

Blackbelt54

Another good review dude

I gotta check out their other album also those albums in your intro paragraph

July 24th 2012

you should check the nazi dust demo too, it's a rippuh

Blackbelt54

Thanks will do

Relinquished
July 25th 2012

these guys are cool, saw them live many months ago

Kiran
July 31st 2012

"become what you are" is such a great song!

HighandDriving
July 31st 2012

This album isn't that great.

Too happy.

Iluvatar
January 7th 2013

album is good because it is happy. didnt realize this got reviewed. coolest live band

January 7th 2013

you probably a good amount of opportunities to see them since yer from florida

Iluvatar
January 7th 2013

yeah seen em a bunch. its great seeing all the kids who are there for other bands generally have no idea whats going on. saw em with lemuria and sloan peterson once and they did a ten minute guitar feedback solo and the crowd literally left the venue haha

Chortles
May 23rd 2013

Man I could listen to time all day, such a gnarly track

Digging: Jacaszek - Treny

Chortles
December 17th 2013

bump

someguest
December 17th 2013

20906 Comments

Fun tunes for fun people.

I AM FUN