Exoplanet
Nothing Divides Us Here

by Andru Okenuf USER (32 Reviews)
July 24th, 2012 | 12 replies

Review Summary: Keep calm and carry on

We all have our good days and our not so good days. We have times when we feel comfortable and certain with our lives and who we are and other times when we are volatile – entirely lost and entirely uncertain. Last year was a time in my life when I felt very alone and very afraid, and when I was having a bad day, I needed something to latch onto. On many occasions, Nothing Divides us Here by Exoplanet (the alias for Oscar Thomas van Der Knaap) was just the cure for a bad day.

As Your Sorow is My Despair opens, the feel is remarkably similar to Tangerine Dream or The Future Sound of London. Bizarre and fresh electronic sounds invade your space from every direction. As fascinating as it is disarming, Exoplanet takes sounds you might hear in a rainforest, borrowing more from tribal sounds than van Der Knaap’s homeland in the Netherlands and with these and other ambient noises, he crafts music that sounds incredibly new. The steady beat guides you along the way, making transitions from dark and confusing sounds to more optimistic and hopeful ones seem simple, bringing us into a more stable and comfortable state of being.

The Periphery of Unity and Even Impermanence is Transient represent both these states overtly, with the refrain “In My Miserable Loneliness” repeating in the former and “I will Raise you to Consciousness” repeating in the latter. As much as you feel the depth behind the despair, Exoplanet rises above the madness, bathing the listener with clarity and peace of mind, while new beats overlain over one another submerge you deeper to the whims of the music.

“Shepherd of Consciousness”, is the track that would be at home in any downtempo friendly room in which it is played. Swaying and grabbing and twisting and yet so very lucidly, the 10 minute 18 second runtime does not feel excessive and closes things out gorgeously.

Though the simple beat at times gives the album a lack of variety that turns things almost boring, it was never Oscar Thomas’ intention to make it incredibly exciting. He simply made an incredible range of music that’s both simple and accessible. So while this isn’t the next Tangerine Dream album, this is the album Edgar Froese wishes he could still make.

Mylo Destroy Rock And RollThe xx Coexist
The Future Sound of London LifeformsTricky Maxinquaye
Anais Mitchell Young Man in AmericaNicolas Jaar Don't Break My Love

July 23rd 2012

had most of this written a while ago butyea, this is another not widely known about release i particularly admire so check it out. hard to say if my personal connection to it has clouded my view of it, but it'd be really hard to dislike these sounds.

Shepherd of Consciousness ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAv2Oj4NRa8 )
Even Impermanences is Transient ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pNYigwnino )

Hyperion1001
July 23rd 2012

i think i have this but i dont remember listening to it

will revisit good review pos

Digging: Recondite - Caldera/DRGN 2

July 23rd 2012

cheers matt . the tracks i posted should give you a feel for what the album sounds like

Aids

andy for staff

this sounds awesome

WashboardSuds
July 23rd 2012

you're on a roll man, keep it up. pos'd

July 23rd 2012

Good review pos. I liked the first track it was overly amazing but the riffs and emotion were solid and I feel the upbeat ghost note jazz feel to the beat carried the song well.

Digging: Kangding Ray - Solens Arc

July 23rd 2012

upbeat ghost note jazz feel

i dig your description

Rev
July 24th 2012

one of my favorites from last year

nope - what's it like?

AggravatedYeti

: ) cool dude.

Yotimi
July 24th 2012

good album but doesn't do a whole lot to separate itself from the pack

Digging: Chrome Sparks - Goddess

July 24th 2012

i kinda disagree, but i see where you're coming from