Mike Patton and Luciano Berio
Laborintus II

by Eli EMERITUS
July 23rd, 2012 | 36 replies | 9,753 views

Review Summary: Dark and formless, Mike Patton's latest foray is a fascinating if not unwieldy creation.

Never one to fear wandering into the more experimental realms of music, Mike Patton has based his career off of bending and twisting sounds to fit his bizarre artistic visions. He is no stranger to avant-garde or classical, even paying tribute to Italian composer Ennio Morricone on both Mondo Cane and The Director’s Cut. And while Patton’s latest, Laborintus II, appears to be one of his more overtly ambitious projects, it is clear that he has tangled with very similar beasts.

Laborintus II is a tribute to Luciano Berio, yet another Italian composer whose experimental style suits Patton. Originally written in 1965, Laborintus II is a dark and meandering three-part epic; a formless collection of unconventional sounds that feels as if they came together seemingly by accident. This fits its inspirations well. Written to commemorate the 700th birthday of Dante Alighieri, it is based off of the Edoardo Sanguineti poem “Laborintus,” highlighting “the timelessness of love and mourning” through three voices.

More impressive than this behemoth of an origin tale is how fascinating it all sounds, despite being somewhat unwelcoming. It’s difficult to describe what Laborintus II is exactly, as it does not exist within the confines of most recognizable music, instead sharing much with the mid-20th century avant-garde movement and its experimentation with tonality. The vocals range from spoken word, to shrill soprano blasts. Between these two lies some often haunting moments, particularly during the first half of the introductory part. Silence is greatly used here, as it can be used as a wonderful tool to build tension. Added to this, bouts of electronic noises can be heard, peppered in between the flutes, keys, and strings. Together, this cacophony can at times be somber, beautiful, and ominous, but always affecting.

For those familiar with Mike Patton’s more bizarre collaborations, his work with the Ictus Ensemble will feel rather welcoming. Laborintus II is a strange and unique creation that despite being far from the days of Mr. Bungle and Faith No More, feels completely and totally Mike Patton.

Saintseneca Dark ArcHave a Nice Life The Unnatural World
Thee Silver Mount Zion Fuck Off Get Free We Pour Light on EverythingFell Voices Regnum Saturni
Hammock Oblivion HymnsMount Eerie Pre-Human Ideas
3.1
good

kingsoby1

pos

July 23rd 2012

sounds cool might check this out, also is that chester the cat in the artwork

Digging: IQ - The Road of Bones

Interesting stuff

Digging: Essence Beyond - Carnivalism

chambered49
July 23rd 2012

is this as good as california

ZedO
July 23rd 2012

well hmmmm, have no idea about these guys, but no worry, google always rules...

edit: oh, that faith no more singer

kingsoby1

He was best in Faith No More. Angel Dust ftw

Evreaia
July 23rd 2012

He was good in Dillinger too

Digging: Monarch - Sabbracadaver

evilford
July 23rd 2012

He's done some pretty interesting stuff, and yeah sometimes he's too ambitious for his own good.

Good review though, had no idea he was working on something like this, might check it out.

Digging: Demilich - 20th Adversary of Emptiness

Good review btw

DuMont
July 23rd 2012

"yeah i miss the days when mike patton's music was fun to listen to, not just challenging for the sake of it."

Agreed, but I do take some comfort in the fact that he's one of very few musicians who actually doesn't give a shit whether anyone listens to his tunes or not.

olddirtydoggy
July 23rd 2012

Theres a pile of this stuff up on youtube and I've no idea how the reviewer got through it. Maybe I've not got bored enough with the mainstream to enjoy something like this.
Good review of a most unusual project.

treeqt.
July 23rd 2012

Is there a stream for that?

Deviant.

Fuck yeah, needs more Lovage (uh) love

Digging: FaltyDL - In The Wild

July 23rd 2012

Part one is cool. I didn't give it a proper listen but I could see there were some interesting parts. And some of those random vox at the beginning reminded me of these goofy sounds I used to make when I was young.

mindleviticus
July 24th 2012

Mr. Bungle is fucking amazing. I hope it sounds like them

Xenophanes

This is so far from Mr. Bungle. The two only share Mike Patton's name

breakingthefragile
July 24th 2012

Looks like there's no reason for me to review this now, I agree with everything said in this review as well as the rating given, couldn't have put it better than you did. I love stuff that's as avant-garde as this, even though I do frequently feel my patience wearing thin and my attention drifting elsewhere while I'm listening to this one drone on. Pos-oh wait, that's right, you're staff now...I MISS POSING YOU XENO!!! :'( lol

Digging: Glassjaw - Everything You Ever Wanted To Know...

Wizard

19215 Comments

I need to hear this, you make it sound so interesting.

Digging: Monarch - Sabbracadaver