Emay
Adam

by BroFro USER (3 Reviews)
July 22nd, 2012 | 29 replies | 2,121 views

Review Summary: "sure I'll smoke a few blizzys to this" -- chambered69, sputnikmusic.com user

I wonder if Emay ever initially intended Adam to be an instrumental album. I ponder this because of two aspects about the album: one, the beats and samples are astonishingly polished and well utilized and two, Emay’s rapping is for the most part entirely forgettable. It’s not that he can’t string together a nice flow here and there, or that his lyrics slur together or sound clunky, it’s simply that as a rapper Emay is little more than average.

One needs to look no further than unfortunate album centerpiece “Negro” to witness all that is poor about the album. With the beat and background music uncharacteristically turned down to a level of radio hip-hop deficiency, Emay’s spotlighted flow fails to entice the listener. And coupled with a repulsive hook of “n*****!” repeated over and over again, the song suffers by being easily the worst in the track list. But other than this one unsightly blemish, elsewhere Emay luckily never again manages to draw negative attention to himself and detract from the brilliance of the production of Adam.

The beats and music create enveloping atmospheres for the listener that range from airy and ethereal to grimy and industrialized, oftentimes within the same track. Take for example album highlight “Luminescence”; a dark trip-hop beat ventures in and out while bouncy, xylophone-reminiscent synth tones and organ sustains swirl together with catchy vocal samples to create something truly remarkable. In its best moments, found most notably in the terrific duo of “She Calls” and “Takes Me Back”, Adam emulates this engrossing marriage of seemingly dichotomous atmospheres.

Lyrically, Emay doesn’t ever step out of his clearly perfected sweet spot. There is no ambitious storytelling or fancy wordplay to be found here. Emay spends most of his time on the mic boasting about typical topics like making it big from humble beginnings and activities akin to the “thug life” persona many rappers tend to embrace. On occasion he provides witty and amusing one-liners, but for the most part the lyrical content can be either tuned in or out at the discretion of the listener, which, given the extraordinary nature of the music behind the words, may be what Emay intended in the first place.

Releasing Adam sans Emay’s voice altogether would have perhaps given rise to a widely popular gem of instrumental hip-hop. As it is, Adam proves to be a great hip-hop release featuring stunning production and a competent but unimpressive MC that, with a little time to hone his skills, could leave us with something phenomenal soon enough.

Mind Altering Dynamics

July 22nd 2012

This took a lot longer to write than I anticipated. I hate to start it off with what's bad about the album but... it just turned out that way.

I reviewed this for WeepingBanana's review a random album game (which we should do again by the way)

Digging: Todd Terje - It's Album Time

WashboardSuds

decent album and review

Digging: Nmesh - Dream Sequins

July 22nd 2012

nice work (I was the one who suggested this album)

too bad you think that about his rapping though, i completely disagree. i do think the production and beats are insane though and are the album's main draws.

and yeah that summary is dumb

Digging: Trophy Scars - Holy Vacants

Negro is like top 3 songs on this, youre crazy

i thought it described the album well enough

Pretty sure Chambered would smoke a few "blizzys" to the sound of a car being started

chambered49

that is not true

WeepingBanana
July 22nd 2012

i would smoke a few blizzys to the sound of chambered smoking a few blizzys

solid review. i'm really surprised on how successful my game is turning out to be. i should have mine up in a day or two

July 22nd 2012

he's not a bad rapper by any means, i just found myself tuning him out during just about every song due to the rest of it being so good. and then when i did listen exclusively for the raps, they just didn't hold my attention very much

Recspecs

Worst summary ever [2]

Jash
July 22nd 2012

The best guy, he'll be stoked you wrote this i'll link it to him. Im with Aids about the rapping, and the beats are too much.

Im with Aids

I went to Africa and all I got was this t-shirt....

Jash you know this guy?

EDIT: just read your comment on his EP you reviewed. cool stuff.

WashboardSuds

Im with Aids

I went to Africa and all I got was this t-shirt....

Jash
July 23rd 2012

Might be going to Toronto or flying him out to Vancouver to work on a music video with him for a track of my bands he rapped on, which in my opinion is his best lyrical work. I can't wait to release the EP with the track on it

July 23rd 2012