Nicolas Jaar
Don't Break My Love

by Andru Okenuf USER (32 Reviews)
July 22nd, 2012 | 42 replies | 4,164 views

Review Summary: Genius

Nicolas Jaar is a man whose stock is on the rise. His crackling and subtle debut LP, Space is Only Noise, was ranked the #1 album of 2011 by Resident Advisor and a handful of others despite its slower pace and ambient feel. While garnering an incredibly loyal and ever increasing fan base, he has also toured at some of the most well-known venues all across the world. Despite being only 22 years old, the Chilean-American musician even owns his own record label, Clown & Sunset.

The chilling two track EP, Don’t Break My Love, provides every bit of the crackling and eerie atmosphere that he’s known for. In both songs, Jaar moves deliberately, drawing things out at his own pace to capture their full essence. By the time the refrain “Don’t Break my Love” repeats itself, Jaar is able to guide listeners to complete awe, admiring the environment he has manifested. He has full command over his strange arsenal of sounds throughout and, while a little grating at first, once the listener adjusts to his style, Nicolas shows unparalleled talent.

But the climax occurs before the eerie, mumbling, “Why Didn’t You Save Me”. After the tribalistic drum has mesmerized us, after the wind chimes and effects have dulled us to nothing, everything is so sad and quiet. Until Jaar’s plea for help, there is no hope, feelings feel very distant, and only once those 5 words are uttered can we continue to breathe, musically delivering us where we need to be. No song that I’ve heard since Radiohead’s “Reckoner” has drawn so much emotion out of me.

The only complaint that can really be filed here is that there isn’t enough, with only 2 fairly similarly structured tracks filling out this release. But its approachability also serves as an advantage, and anyone who hasn’t checked out these two gems should do so. Right now.

Mylo Destroy Rock And RollThe xx Coexist
The Future Sound of London LifeformsTricky Maxinquaye
Anais Mitchell Young Man in AmericaExoplanet Nothing Divides Us Here

July 22nd 2012

Jaar's music is pretty tough to describe but I think you get the picture

Don't Break My Love ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vUMdem4xwc )
Why Didn't You Save Me ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGwmNtiXd1Q )

O yea, and listen to these songs =]

Digging: Aphex Twin - Syro

July 22nd 2012

nice write up, I still haven't heard a thing by this guy though so I shall check out those songs you posted

Digging: Gas - Nah und Fern

July 22nd 2012

o kevin you're missing out! this guy's totally up your alley to i'd say

July 22nd 2012

just listened to both tracks in the time it took you to reply, lol. not bad at all, I think I'll check out his full length. also my new review is up if you're interested

klap
July 22nd 2012

nice to see you reviewing a lot

Digging: Literature - Chorus

Ire

negd

but i ruv u ire xp

Rev
July 22nd 2012

this is definitely some of his best work

I think your new busy review schedule has inspired me to take up writing again haha

do it man

Rev

but i'm so bad haha

Jash
July 22nd 2012

I really enjoy your writing Andy, looking forward to reading a lot more from you if you keep this output going

July 22nd 2012

Nice work dude, Jaar is still madly overrated though. One thing though: he ain't a dj, just a producer

Digging: Banks - Goddess

July 22nd 2012

wow - no love for jaar .. any similarly veined minimal stuff you prefer dev? personally, the more nicolas jaar running through
my bones the better i feel. was thinking of writing about darkside at some point

July 22nd 2012

No I like him, he's just not the second coming like a lot of people seemed to think he was

July 22nd 2012

got similarly veined stuff you like as much as nico then dev?

also cheers everybody for your kind words

Lucid
July 22nd 2012

Yes! This is his best work; Why Didn't You Save Me is unbelievable.

Digging: Perfume Genius - Too Bright

July 22nd 2012

yes. yes it is very incredible =]

Yotimi
July 22nd 2012

My favorite electronic release of the last 2 years.

HE IS THE SECOND COMING