Damien Jurado
Rehearsals for Departure

by Omnipanzer... USER (5 Reviews)
July 20th, 2012 | 17 replies | 1,470 views

Release Date: 1999 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Sorrow and joy seem to be Damien Jurado’s medium of choice.

A quick preface, this album was assigned to me as a part of the “Review a Random Album” incentive. I only feel it necessary to state this as it may explain the tone of some of this review. I can say that I’m certainly glad it was as I have thoroughly enjoyed the experience. The “Plays” count on my iTunes currently sitting at 8 seems to shore up that sentiment. My immediate thought upon starting this album was… Jesus this is really familiar, a thought that would not leave me throughout the album and indeed still has not.

Part of the reason for the familiarity may be that there isn’t a single track on the album that doesn’t remind me of another artist. In Mr. Jurado’s defense this is not always artists that came before him and may in fact be credit to his ability. In my mind I can easily set him side by side with many wonderful musicians both past and present. Damien Jurado instantly conjures up memories of other singular musicians like Nick Drake, Elliott Smith and Pete Yorn. Hell some of his catchier tracks like “Honey Baby”, “Letters & Drawings” and “Ohio” are almost patent rip offs of Pete Yorn Singles circa “musicforthemorningafter”… if he hadn’t done it two years prior that is.

There are other songs that instantly remind me of very specific tracks. The cadence of “Tragedy” makes me think of “Feeding the Tree” by Belly, “Eyes for Windows” is almost assuredly an homage to Nick Drake’s “These Things First” and “Tornado” feels like a revisit of “Barbarosa” by Sordid Humor. He’s not without a little influence of his own though as the title track sounds like it was the blueprint for Jessica Lea Mayfield’s first album “With Blasphemy so Heartfelt”. Then there are the folk music staple slow laments like “Curbside", “Love the Same” and “Saturday” to which I can attribute no one in particular but seem passed down through the history of the genre.

I would not say the Damien Jurado has a great voice by any means but I will state clearly that he does have the rhythm, vision, arrangement skills and writing ability to invalidate the necessity. “Rehearsals for Departure” is an indie/folk album of the highest order and if that’s your bag baby I think you’ll be deciding this is going to be a permanent part of your library by about 1:05 on track one of this album. It is a wonderfully cohesive album that hits the genre running on all eight cylinders and keeps firing properly for its full 36:40 duration. In the end I’m glad it was introduced to me and it is my pleasure to introduce it to you.

P.S. He has a new album out this year that you may want to add to your 2012 collection as well.

Omni-

4.2

July 20th 2012

Yah, it's pretty damned good.

Digging: The Ettes - Shake the Dust

Maniac!

neg

July 20th 2012

Thanks B, I so appreciate it.

Maniac!
July 20th 2012

This is what happens when I quit sputnik but am forced by my friends to come rep their shit.

negnegneg

TheNotrap

Sweet Omni, have a pos.

Digging: Savage Grace - Master Of Disguise

SeaAnemone

19955 Comments

Brilliant songwriter-- I didn't know you were into this guy. Have you heard Ghost of David? It's my favorite by him.

Digging: Natural Snow Buildings - The Night Country

July 20th 2012

I'm very much into this type of music but I was unfamiliar with him until WB's review a random album
list two days ago.

I have Maraqopa which I am listening to now and I like it almost as much as this one.
I'll give Ghost of David a try next though.

JamieTwort

20284 Comments

Good review omni, pos'd.

Perhaps should have participated in this but I wasn't sure what album to submit that I didn't want to review myself eventually and also wasn't sure when I would actually get to reviewing the album assigned to me.

TenSecondsToThink

Well done.

July 20th 2012

^ probably not as enthusiastic as you would have liked but I thought it was pretty balanced.

Thanks JT and NoTrap

TenSecondsToThink
July 20th 2012

I felt the same when I got it some months ago, just 4.5'd it this or last week. The best albums are usually growers and even if it won't change for you, I'm glad that more people will hear about it and a 4 is obviously a high rating.

WeepingBanana
July 20th 2012

lol i the game this time around is already more successful than last one

WeepingBanana
July 20th 2012

oh and review is as solid as they come, have a pos

dànké WB.

SgtPepper
July 20th 2012

Good review. I'll check this guy out. POS'd.

Digging: Shabazz Palaces - Lese Majesty

ZedO
July 20th 2012

never heard of this guy, but i get a feeling that it'll be my thing (after looking at that Bruce Springsteen comparison on the page). pos

July 23rd 2012

I'm not a Springsteen fan so I'm not sure about that but I would think that this would be under produced by comparison.