Battleroar
To Death and Beyond...

by John Marinakis USER (28 Reviews)
July 18th, 2012 | 19 replies

Release Date: 2008 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Walking confidently the path towards recognition.

After my encounter with the destructive musical havoc called Age Of Chaos and my introduction to the Epic/Power style, I willingly started exploring the historic fields of this wonderful subgenre. I was hungry, and all I wanted was another consuming experience, so I could wipe out my lust. But nothing could give me what I was so desperately looking for. I realized I needed to hear more of this band. Luckily my friend, who had introduced me to Battleroar, told me he also had their third album called To Death And Beyond. This album was proved to be my cure.

My expectations had grown tremendously high for this one, but honestly, I wasn’t prepared enough for what was followed. What came next, was a ruthless onslaught which caught me completely off guard. The previous album starts with an acoustic song, leading softly the way to more heavily constructed compositions. This time, the lads decided to open their new album in a completely opposite way. Starting with a merciless, irruptive riff, that falls like a hammer on your head, accompanied by the pounding drums, they grab you by the throat and force you to start headbanging from the very first second. Clocking at 8 minutes, The Wrathforge the opening song, is the definition of Epic Metal. I believe many bands of the same genre would have wished to write a similar introduction. Something so powerful and epic, but at the same time, so melodic and dramatic. The following songs are not an exception. Whether it’s the energetic Dragonhelm, or the riff laden Warlord Of Mars, or the divine epics Finis Mundi and Oceans Of Pain, the band continues to write and deliver Metal of epic proportions with an enviable expertise. After being bombarded with the first three songs, one anthem after another anthem, you come to the realization that maybe Battleroar possesses the elixir of epic songwriting. They seem to have endless ideas, and the best thing is that they know how to use their inspiration constructively, without getting distracted by unnecessary or secondary ideas; everything seems to be in the right place, the riffs, the emotional solos, the sound effects, even the order of the tracks seems to be ideal. What’s more, the production has undergone an even greater improvement, transforming the songs and making them sound heavier and thicker. This extraordinary work makes the album an enjoyable listen.

As I have written before this band simply knows their craft. They just make sure to transmit the message. They want to make you feel the emotions they feel. They want to stimulate your senses and prepare you to battle an invisible entity. And the material they’ve written wouldn’t achieve this kind of sheer power without a good vocalist. Marco Concoreggi, is providing his vocal services for the third consecutive time. His own improvement erases, at once, every single dull moment he had on the previous records. On the beginning of his career with the band, he seemed to be the weak link and with his studio performances, he didn’t provide something extraordinary. But not anymore; in this album he sounds like he is the only vocalist in the entire world who fit perfectly with the singing sections of this album. Kudos to him for not being lazy, but willing and ambitious to reach his own potential and maximize his contribution.

Of course, the album isn’t perfect. It’s close, but frankly not close enough. The cover is once again horrible. Then again, as the saying goes, “never judge a book by it’s cover”, we shouldn’t judge too quickly. Also, there are two compositions drugged away from the overall stunning awesomness. Metal From Hellas serves as an introductory statement and it’s boring when compared to the rest of the material and the track Born In The 70’s might induce some nostalgia to older audiences, but it’s not good enough.

Now that all is said and done, I wish to conclude my thoughts by saying that, with Battleroar you get an injection of pure Epic/Power Metal. Along with it, you get to receive a reminding information: This is how Metal is meant to be; powerful, heavy, atmospheric and beautiful. These lads have exceeded themselves two times already. Is it possible for them to repeat their magnificent feat once again ? In all honesty, I don’t believe they can surpass what they have done here, but I’m quite sure their next album will not be disappointing, simply because they’ve got the skills and the will.

Recommended tracks: