The Number Twelve Looks Like You
Nuclear, Sad, Nuclear

by chesse13 USER (6 Reviews)
July 18th, 2012 | 13 replies | 1,237 views

Release Date: 2005 | Tracklist

Put On Your Rosy Red Glasses was a fairly good grind, math, or whatever, core album. It featured dual shrieking vocals, and generally heavier music than what's on Nuclear.Sad.Nuclear. The vocals are still there, for better or for worse, and this time the band move into more jazzy and experimental waters. This marks the point where they stop being a simple mathcore band and start turning into the progressive grind kings when their career sadly ended. One major thing that seperates this from their previous efforts is the generally lighter instrumentation. More effort is put into clean guitar passages rather than the spastic breakdowns of their debut.

Nuclear.Sad.Nuclear starts things off with their best foot forward. The Devil's Dick Disaster, and Texas Dolly are two of the best songs on here. They both showcase the band's newfound tendencies to include cleaner passages into their music. The band does this perfectely in Texas Dolly where the band plays a small acoustic passages and then explodes into a fury of blast beats and shrieks. They mix these two sides, as well as some jazz-esque ones, pretty well as the guitar tone they use for the most of it could easily make an indie rock album. The band seems much more comfortable with their instruments, especially the guitars, Clarissa Explains cuntainment is a great example of this being filled to the brim with great guitar playing. Overall it's the sound of a band starting to branch of and trying new things, and doing a pretty good job at that.
The vocals also are a little better to listen to although if you never liked them this definately won't change your mind. Their style fits the music they're playing and only gets annoying at a few specific moments, but like the rest of the band this marks the point where they start progressing and branching out more. Like a Cat has great trade off between the singers and even features singing that's even listenable this time around. You can can barely understand what they're saying half of the time, but the lyrics are nothing really to speak of.

Plentyl of songs showcase how the band has progressed the end of An Aptly Fictional Description is calming and is a far cry from their debut, and Rememerbrance Dialoge is 7 minute ambient track that slowly builds up slowly with shots of feedback and then explodes. The bass is more prominent here and has some nice bass lines every now and then. It's a solid listen with no song being downright terrible, although the vocals may be too much for some, but it's great stepping stone for the band.

The Armed Spreading JoyThe Armed Young & Beautiful
BADBADNOTGOOD BBNG2El Grupo Nuevo de Omar Rodriguez-Lopez Cryptomnesia
Secret Band Secret Band
Dylan Wachman (4.5)

Dancin' Man (4.5)

July 17th 2012

Tell me how i did pls. I'm hoping to get better at his whole reviewing nonsense

SgtPepper
July 17th 2012

Oh, man. This brings back memories. "Devil's Dick Disaster" and "Like A Cat" were my two favourites from this album, I
used to really love this album in middle school. and I haven't listened to them in so long.

As for the review, you go into some decent depth with the song, but it would be good if you gave a little more info...
that's my advice. There's also some grammar bugs that you could easily revise. also you have an extra "L" in plenty in the last
paragraph. But its a good review, POS!

YoYoMancuso
July 17th 2012

not a great review but not bad either. pos'd since it's a good effort, and the album rocks pretty hard as well

July 17th 2012

Alright i'l keep all of that in mind. I'll go through it and fix it later. Thanks!

Worst Number 12.

July 18th 2012

The is their second worst actually

July 18th 2012

Good review, this is better than Red Glasses overall so it's not their worst. This album has many of Number 12's best songs(An Aptly Fictional Description, Rememberance Dialogue are amazing) even though the 'clean toned grind' thing didn't turn out as good as it could have but I think they recorded the entire album in a week so they were pushing it. I think this album is a precursor to Worse Than Alone because that's where they perfected the sound/songwriting they had going on on this album.

Digging: Systems - Ghost Medicine

July 18th 2012

This is exactly what i wanted to get across. But this is still amazing even though their next two are even better

July 18th 2012

Yeah, I appreciate the album alot more than I did when it came out and I can tolerate the production. Nearly every track on this is amazing.

July 18th 2012

Its not like its bad. Just my least favourite Number 12.

July 18th 2012

That's understandable but you gotta admit there are some great songs on here. Rememberance Dialogue, Texas Dolly, Like a Cat, Carissa Explains Cuntainment, and An Aptly Fiction Description are amazing.

July 18th 2012

Yeah its got some good stuff. I think i'll check it again.

July 18th 2012

Ahh I forgot about that 'storm the fucking castle' part in Proud Parent's Convention, it freaking rules.