Counterparts
The Current Will Carry Us

by cisumkintups USER (2 Reviews)
July 16th, 2012 | 13 replies

Review Summary: Positive hardcore for the masses

Counterparts are a melodic metalcore/hardcore band from Hamilton, Ontario. They are known for their use of dissonant chords, well-executed breakdowns all being fronted by a very passionate vocalist who writes personal and inspirational lyrics that appeal to all people.

“The Current Will Carry Us” starts off with a guitar strumming some dissonant chords, which explodes into the overall feel of the album: hardcore. They are masters at writing songs, they have got the “never-too-heavy, never-too-soft” formula down pat. Right when you start getting a little overwhelmed with how heavy it is, they burst into a melodic passage or chorus to bring you back to sanity. “The Disconnect” (first song) easily shows you what these guys have in store for you: beautiful, yet brutal masterpieces wrapped up in one.

The musicianship on this record as well as “Prophets” (first album) is (to no surprise) spectacular. A particular stand-out is Chris Needham; the man behind the kit. At a glance it seems very chaotic and spastic, but should you pay close attention to him; his playing is very precise and intricate. In fact, that applies to every instrument associated with Counterparts. But one member stands out the most: the vocalist. His passion is so easily seen by anyone, it is unparalleled and impressive to say the least.

It’s not just his vocals that are incredible, he has very heartfelt lyricism that many can identify with: “While I may die poor, at least my life had meaning…there’s more to life than living, and I truly feel alive” That is an excerpt from “The Constant” one of the more popular songs on the album. Those lyrics set the stage for what counterparts is: a POSITIVE hardcore band.

The production on this album is a minor step down, it’s not as crisp and clear but upon hearing the first song it seems as though that’s the sound they were going for. The guitars are more…twangy, and distorted vs. “Prophets”. That’s honestly its only flaw.

Rate: 4/5 this album is a great, positive masterpiece with a fantastic message. Definitely worth checking out. Recommended songs: The Disconnect, The Constant, and Jumping Ship.

• Mary Paultese (3)
    No longer the "prophets" that they once claimed to be......

Eli EMERITUS (2.5)
    In their utter refusal to progress, Counterparts head down the long and winding road to ir...

Wayne H. (4.5)
    Let Counterparts' sweet current carry you away....

Scott Krasman (4.5)
    The Current Will Carry Us represents a transitional point in the band's style that further...

• mas westman (4.5)
    The Current Will Carry Us is a brilliant album that portrays an underlying message of posi...

cisumkintups
July 15th 2012

Tips for writing? First review that I actually did the writing process on.

July 15th 2012

You don't need to list off the band members names and what they play, it should be fused into the review organically or not be there at all

Digging: Viper the Rapper - You'll Cowards Don't Even Smoke Crack

cisumkintups
July 15th 2012

@Trebor, yeah, that annoys me I'll get rid of that.

Ponton

one of my favs

July 16th 2012

The drummer on this records name is Ryan Juntilla. He left recently but he recorded the drums. Id take most of the
parentheses and just reword your sentences so you don't need them, while still getting all the content across that you
want. Last thing is take out the word "brutal" lol. I don't know why it just bothers me because people misuse it so much
and I don't think it belongs in a Counterparts review haha. Glad to see this getting some love though so i'll pos it.

ChuckyTruant
July 16th 2012

There's no reason not to list the band members names. Unless the band is super popular, but I still do it on my reviews. Decent review btw

Digging: The Contortionist - Language

July 16th 2012

do these guy's have bandcap with a free legal download?

I've the album before but im smarter now and would prolly dig it more

but i refuse to download illegally.

July 16th 2012

No they don't. But i'm sure all their songs are on youtube.

July 16th 2012

yeah they are but it'd be nice to have it on my i-pod because i like to listen to music during other locations than just being online so i can really enjoy it ya know

but thanks man

July 16th 2012

Gotcha, it probably won't change your mind, but I know these guys and they won't care if you download it lol.

July 16th 2012

I'm sure, but the law's penalty would still be the same legally and that's not a risk I wanna take besides my other reasons.

TooLateToGoBack

Love this album.

Digging: Pianos Become the Teeth - Keep You

Spec
July 16th 2012

Got some good shit yeah.