Niagara

by Antonius USER (25 Reviews)
July 7th, 2012 | 5 replies | 979 views

Release Date: | Tracklist

Review Summary: Not something special or unique, but surely glam fans will love it

It's the late 80s, the period that glam is flourishing and a Spanish band named Niagara appear in the scene ready to compete with others of the genre. Now or Never was the band's debut album and soon their pure talent would come to the surface. This offered them the opportunity to tour in the UK and it's worth mentioning that there they had bigger support than in their homeland. Tony Cuevas (vocals), Angel Arias (bass guitar), Jose Martos (drums), V.M Arias (electric guitars) and Enrique Castaneda (keyboards) consist of the line-up, with the last two performing magnificently throughout the album.

The production was not the best one, however it is not that bad for someone to claim that it ruins the album's quality and virtue. ''Fallen Angel'' is just a simple 45-second intro with notes on guitar and keyboards just to set the scene for the forthcoming ''Walking'', one of the best moments in the album in my opinion. It combines perfectly guitar riffing, melodic bass playing and atmospheric keyboards, characteristics that are obvious throughout the album's duration. Then the mid-tempo ''I Will Be There'' follows, with the introductory notes on the keyboards reminding a lot the likes of Europe and right up next the ballad ''Take My Hand''. It has a catchy refrain and it's short but comprehensive guitar solo can easily parallel it to Skid Row's ''18 and Life''. These as far for the first part of the album.

From the moment that ''Now or Never'' enters the scene, the wheels start spinning more drastically. It can be argued that the self-titled song is a transitional song and this is sensed from the first notes of ''I Should Be Stronger'', a song more powerful and fast than the previous ones. It is the most challenging song for drummers, especially at the solo's point somewhere in the middle of the song. I found ''You Belong to Me'' as a simplified version of ''Walking'' without the catchy riffing but with worth-noting bass grooves. ''No Conversation'' is a solid effort which combines all the nice elements and characteristics that the band possesses and it is one of my favorites. I would not say that ''Live on the Line'' and ''Secret Lover'' are bad songs but I got the picture from the previous songs and these two seemed to me as a repetition.

Overall, it is a very good effort from the Spaniards and it's a bit shame that they didn't make it. I believe that friends of Europe, Dokken and Cinderella will find some characteristics of the aforementioned bands and will appreciate the specific album. Of course some others may find it another boring/generic/hair-metal album and will leave it behind. I'm interested to hear what others think of this though.