Avril Lavigne
Let Go

by Brendan Schroer STAFF
July 6th, 2012 | 40 replies | 8,981 views

Release Date: 2002 | Tracklist

Review Summary: A beacon of light in the pop world, Avril Lavigne's debut album is a staggering combination of attitude, melody, and emotion.

It's hard to believe that Avril Lavigne transformed into such a generic pop icon, considering the angst that used to be bundled within her songwriting in the early 2000's. Lavigne might have been signed to Arista - the "accessible" label as it is - but what really brought her to fame is the partnership with the songwriting team The Matrix (now defunct) to work on the smash hits populating the first half of the album. The result... well, it's hard to accurately describe the magnitude of this record's success.

It's clear that The Matrix's work with the singer paid off, as the singles contain a certain appeal without losing any songwriting magic. "Losing Grip" captures Lavigne blazing through the chorus behind crunchy grunge-like guitar work, attributing further to the "rebellious" persona she was going for at the time. "Complicated" has become a mainstay to teen alienation and well... life simply being complicated, and yet pulls it off with finesse and with a refreshingly positive vibe. "Sk8er Boi" takes a direction akin to pop-punk, as Avril brings another injection of infectious vocal work, peppy but not overbearing.

And so it goes. However, looking away from the hits, other tunes are just as solid in the songwriting department. "Things I'll Never Say" begins with a memorable brisk vocal melody before settling into its poppy beat. Lavigne's vocals are particularly resonant and generally hopeful. "Mobile", however, is an absolute triumph, speaking of uncertainty and the troubles of moving out of a place or comfort zone. The acoustic melody evolves into heavier distorted guitar chords with that aforementioned "crunch" as Avril Lavigne's voice becomes a soaring powerhouse.

Songs like "Mobile" and "Losing Grip", as well as the surprisingly heavy "Unwanted" may just be enough to dispel Avril Lavigne's claim that this album is simply a pop record. For rockers, there are plenty of heavy riffs intermixed with climatic melodies, especially during the choruses. In fact, "Unwanted"'s chorus verges on alternative metal, with the guitar and bass lines in unison in a power-laden groove. The extra distortion definitely adds to the invigorating nature of the climaxes pervading many of the songs.

Records generally aren't perfect though, and this album is no exception at all. The biggest gripe about this album (probably due to age) is the lyrical immaturity. Essentially, you've heard it all on other pop records; life, love, breakups, hookups, and the like. Needless to say, the music trumps the lyrical work, and the delivery of said lyrics by Avril attempts to overshadow the obvious simplicity and faults.

All in all, though, Let Go is a fantastic debut by a pop artist that would soon drop the hard rock in favor of even more accessibility. While it would be nice to see a return to this style, 16 million units sold suggest that Let Go can still be on peoples' minds and stay there for years to come. Highly recommended.

Queen Queen IIOpeth Heritage

SaneTBP

metal

LifeAsAChipmunk
July 6th 2012

But complicated is so m/

Spare

dug this in 2002 it's probably still balla

SCREAMorphine
July 6th 2012

I remember buying this for my sisters birthday years ago, Losing Grip was cool then sucks now.

KatatoNick
July 6th 2012

There's nothing wrong with a bit of Avril to remind yourself of when you were 13, and the worst thing that happened was a D in chemistry.

KjSwantko

Sk8er boi hell yea

iambandersnatch

what can I say, I'd still bang the shit out of her. Guilty pleasure I guess

BirthRite
July 6th 2012

Avril was fun and I enjoyed her when she first came out but her problem is she is stuck in the mainstream world where they tell her what to do, say, and think.

She's kinda pretty but I'm more into thicker women.

If it were'nt for greed, money, and power in this world she would be a pretty decent artist.

thumbcrusher
July 6th 2012

I'm more into thicker women.

intelligence or chunkiness?

BirthRite
July 6th 2012

both exist thumbcrusher, but i wouldn't have one without the other, it's too risky

thumbcrusher

lol

ZedO

love this

Apollo
July 6th 2012

what the actual fuck is going on here.....

MO

ahh I see what's happened

you've been waiting 8 years for a new necrophagist album that you've resorted to reviewing your favs

Digging: Immolation - Dawn of Possession

mvdu
July 6th 2012

Yes, I would like to see what she can do with more independence. Let Go and Under My Skin showed so much promise.

Spare
July 8th 2012

alanis morissette fan too i see

sixdegrees
July 8th 2012

isn't it ironic, don't you think?

Digging: Ted Nugent - Shutup&jam!

iambandersnatch
July 8th 2012

he be quotin' alanis mang

KNOW YOUR MID 90s POP DAMN SON