The Haunted
rEVOLVEr

1.5
very poor

by Ian USER (108 Reviews)
January 29th, 2006 | 50 replies | 9,748 views

Release Date: 2004 | Tracklist

Metalcore is a nasty, nasty term I find lately. Most bands that fit within the genre are normally dreadful; they have no true technicality to them, and are painfully boring. I would love to tell all of you that Iíve found a band that isnít like this, but I canít. The Haunted are a Swedish Metalcore band that, ďsurprisingly", are like most other metalcore bands you find these days. You know the saying, ďtime flies when youíre having fun"? Well, with the bands latest release, rEVOLVEr, this old saying is obliterated. The songs save a few, fail to truly grab the listenersí ear, but thankfully, each go by rather quickly. The opening song, No Compromise, is three-and-three-fourths a minute long, but it seems to only last for one. This is how it is with almost every other song. The guitar on the whole album is okay, but fails to show itself as something you canít already find in a dozen other bands. It isnít even melodic whatsoever; itís justÖthere. Of course just because something isnít new, and unique doesnít mean itís bad. However, with The Haunted itís so damn generic. In the same song, No Compromise, the same basic root riff is used so many times, and when itís not played youíre treated to slow pathetic double bass accompanied by screaming from Peter Dolving. His scream is uncomfortable, the sort of sitting there, eating dinner with your grandparents uncomfortable. This is how it is basically for the rest of the album.

A little less than halfway through this trip, we come to the single All Against All. Thereís not too much to the song, simple drumming, and straightforward vocals. However, the guitarís heavy melody in the background, interjecting with the linear vocals works quite well for itself, showing that it was the obvious choice for a single. The guitar solo, which lasts twenty-seconds, is put together well, feels in place, and is actually entertaining. There are more solos in places, but they canít make up for the rest of the rEVOLVEr; especially since most of them pale in comparison to the alright solo from the single anyways. Thankfully, the guitar playing gets better as the album goes along, but everything else remains the poorly written material it started out as. If this were the bands debut album, then I would say that they show promise, and will most likely advance with time, but this is the bands fourth album. Perhaps some slack could be cut however; after all, the band might have felt hectic when writing the album, front man Peter had been on the first album they wrote, then left abruptly due to a financial situation, with this fourth album he came back. Maybe The Haunted are getting back into a comfortable position, maybe this is how they will continue to be, only time can tell, but for now, they canít compare with most other metal bands of today.

Z-Ro CocaineEmery The Weak's End
Papa Roach Old Friends from Young YearsLinkin Park Living Things
Wolves & Machines AilmentsKrizz Kaliko Kickin' and Screamin'
Benjamin Carter (4.5)
A generic, rudimentary, brutish, ferocious, fiery, transcendent colossus....

Dethtrasher (3.5)
Alongside bands like The Crown, The Haunted launches massive amounts of anger and brutality but rEVO...

Bron-Yr-Aur (3)

jensen (4)

January 29th 2006

Great review! A definite step up from usual.

As for the band, I hate them. I got a free sampler with songs from this album when I ordered a Children of Bodom album a couple years ago. I listened and despised it, and when I found that they spawned from the almighty At the Gates, I was apalled. These guys should go back to making serious metal, since that's obvious what they're good at.

Drunken Viking
January 30th 2006

Man, if both you guys hate them I must like them. :lol:

canadapantsman
January 30th 2006

this album wasnt that bad. and this band isnt metalcore... that really is a nasty term. it doesnt apply here.

January 30th 2006

It's a hyrbrid of thrash, metalcore, and melodic death metal.

;)

Shattered_Future
January 30th 2006

If this isn't metalcore, what is it? It's not really melodeath...

This band bores me, pretty much. The guys from At The Gates went from decent to boring as hell.

January 30th 2006

It's not melodic death, but that's what metal master Ben says it's a hybrid of that, metalcore, and thrash. What he says goes.This Message Edited On 01.30.06

Chilly-Bean-Bop
January 30th 2006

I've never heard of this band, but it was a great review, as always. Noice!

Apathy
January 30th 2006

This has NOTHING to do with metalcore! Just cause it's heavy and abrasive doens't make it bad...

EDIT: Plus, these guys kick the shit out of At The Gates. This Message Edited On 01.31.06This Message Edited On 01.31.06

February 2nd 2006

[quote=Apathy-Mazz567]Plus, these guys kick the shit out of At The Gates.[/quote]

:eek: You better pray to god ShadowsFallen doesn't see that!

Wizard

19208 Comments

Ok review except this is not metalcore at all. I agree that this album is pathetic in any attempt to create a unique sound. I loved the Haunted up to this point. This album truly was a downpoint to their musical abilities. 1/5 on album 3/5 on review.

Digging: Monarch - Sabbracadaver

[QUOTE=Apathy]Plus, these guys kick the shit out of At The Gates.[/QUOTE]
Sometimes you are so full of shit it's unreal.This Message Edited On 02.02.06

Merchant
February 2nd 2006

Didn't like this much either.

Wouldn't call it metalcore though.......Metalcore is terrible until someone does it right, then its good...The spawned metalcore is terrible...I just joined a metalcore band, we will in no doubt be terrible :D

Cravinov13
February 2nd 2006

Are they really this bad?

February 2nd 2006

Pretty much, but you'll like it if you like bland screaming with uninspired, rehashed after rehased metal riffs.

Toaster
February 2nd 2006

[quote=ShadowsFallen]Sometimes you are so full of shit it's unreal.[/quote]
Utterly uncalled for.

This is actually a pretty good album, when I heard the single on that Shadows Fall sampler I was appalled, but the entire album is pretty interesting. Good live act as well.This Message Edited On 02.02.06

[QUOTE=Toaster]Utterly uncalled for.[/QUOTE]
Assuredly overkill, I apologize. I prefer At the Gates though.

Cravinov13
February 2nd 2006

Sound sto me like I should just stay with At the Gates then.

Toaster
February 2nd 2006

It's not like you have to pick between the two, you can listen to both. At the Gates are better though.

February 2nd 2006

You can tell they tried to deferentiate somewhat with the music, but it didn''t work out; it's all very boring.

canadapantsman
February 2nd 2006

this album pales to the others, tho the first one was crap

the haunted made me do it
one kill wonder

^^^those are their good ones. this is a mediocre album.
at the gates is better, but id say on "the haunted made me do it" the haunted were more... varied. like they had clean (or chorused, at least) vocals and slower songs with riffs that still pwnificated.

id say that the haunted are like at the gates but a little more slayer influenced.