Anoushka Shankar
Rise

by Zedo Kei USER (51 Reviews)
July 5th, 2012 | 16 replies | 1,444 views

Release Date: 2005 | Tracklist

London-born sitar player Anoushka Shankar is one among the only few famous and talented female sitar players in this world. Her father Ravi Shankar is a magnate of Indian classical music. When Anoushka has decided to focus on her music career rather than pursue the college academic degree, she knew she would inherit her father's musical legacy. True, at the time Mr. Ravi Shankar does not need to worry, his daughter is more than just a good successor. Instead, probably Anoushka will be more successful than himself. Of course, she needs more time to equal her father’s level.

Unlike two previous full-length albums, 1998's self-titled Anoushka and 2000's Anourag which are more traditional Indian, tend to be a more raga stylish (raga: melodic modes in Indian classical music), and generally akin in characteristic of her father's musical works, Anoushka's third release, Rise, is a brilliant experimental piece. Listening to this album is a nice experience of tasting world music by all means. When you listen to it, soon your first impression may be like "...oh, Indian music? What the fuck, I just don't know why this reminds me to great Taj Mahal that I ever visited once!". Beyond question, the strong sitar instrumentation along with other special Indian sound-cape of duduk, bansuri, vocal percussion known as konnokol, and veena have made the listeners fall into such a quiet and mystical moment for a while. Sometimes it is more than just an entertaining record - something profane. It has meditative feel which will lead you to grotesque and spiritual thing of the Eastern. However, what distinguishes this record among the previous ones must be its incorporation with modern flavor of electronica music. Moreover, other ethnic instruments like Australian didgeridoo, African tabla and djembe, and Latin vocalization style undoubtedly enrich the album as well. And last, when typical Western classical-music (piano, bass guitar, violin, and cello) has taken parts and joined the atmosphere, what you get here is just inventive and groundbreaking world music in such a nice harmony.

There is always hesitancy concerning on world music term itself as an established genre because of its very wide range. There is no basic standard whether the term is taken from the fusion of a certain ethnic music with, say, popular Western pop-rock, classic music, jazz, and whatsoever. Naturally, any music fusion has own style, atmosphere, and nuance. And the result of combination of different music cultures sometimes could be mind-blowing or vice versa; terrible. It does need visionary musicians - those have well capability of interpreting what exactly world music really means. Luckily, Anoushka Shankar has that criterion. Rise obviously has displayed how such genre still in developing process, and there are still many rooms to explore where perhaps no one has ever tried.

Tohpati Ethnomission Save The PlanetLee Ritenour A Twist of Marley: A Tribute
Oh, Nina! HighwayLee Ritenour 6 String Theory
Kara Grainger Grand And Green RiverSore Ports of Lima

Live performance; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4RZaszNhB0&feature=related

listening now, very majestic

July 5th 2012

This is like really good but I don't see myself ever listening to this again.

July 5th 2012

yes, it is good. but why you don't see yourself ever listening to it again?

July 5th 2012

It's just not my thing. But that 2nd track is amazing, though Solea drags too much.

July 5th 2012

I understand that, for me, this type of music is just another alternative choice ;]

BirthRite

good review pos

thanks, BR!

BirthRite
July 5th 2012

always i got your back now go and pos my review, do it now

SgtPepper
July 5th 2012

I've recently gotten into Indian/Raga music, myself. I reviewed a raga album a while back called "Brooklyn Raga
Association", it's american raga but you should check it out if you get the chance, its really good.
Anyway, good review, Zed. I checked out "Red Sun" and Mahadeva on youtube and it was great.

July 6th 2012

Thanks BR, you just keep reviewing and I believe you have capability to be a good writer..

and yeah, Paper, surely I will check it out.

July 6th 2012

Best video I've ever seen. Good review pos brother. This would soooo crazy to smoke to.

Digging: Deniro Farrar - The Patriarch II

July 6th 2012

Yea bro, and I see one of the comments on youtube; "now I want a sitar!" haha

July 6th 2012

I would jam it so hard. Looks really fun and the sound/tone is phenomenal.

July 13th 2012

damn i should 4 this hard

Cygnatti
July 13th 2013

19945 Comments

this rules, but I wish I could tag it as something other than "classical" because that's not enough.

Digging: Lo-Fang - Blue Film