David Maxim Micic
Bilo 2.0

by Cultclassical USER (48 Reviews)
July 4th, 2012 | 17 replies | 4,210 views

Review Summary: From the get-go this EP grabs your attention and with a GI JOE kung fu grip, doesn’t let go...

Much like what has happened to metalcore, the musical world of djent metal has become saturated with cookie-cutter artists who seem to write songs based off of a recipe they found online. That makes it all the more sweeter when you find an artist who puts out a release like Bilo 2.0. This EP is soaked with original riffs, well written songs with diverse structures, and effects that are not only tasteful, but enhance the parts of the song they show up in.

While his first EP, Bilo, showcased a lot more chugging in conjunction with atmospheric effects and riffs, Bilo 2.0 puts the chugging into more of a supporting actor roll and lets shine his improved skills sweeping and picking scales. The effects also have a more prominent though nowhere near overbearing or annoying role in this release. The intro to the EP does just what an intro should, gives you a taste of what’s to come. The song slowly builds up into a sexy lick which coupled with the build-up flows perfectly into the spacey progression that is the conclusion. The next song (my SOTY so far) Rise and Shine begins with one of the most addictive riffs I’ve ever heard and pulls you blissfully though the entire song with the slower portions leading into faster portions effortlessly ending with a masterful guest solo.

The remainder of the EP takes you through an amazing ride. From the beautiful soaring chorus and saxophone solo of “Along for a Ride” to the gypsy-esque intro and oddly well placed (though off putting at first) singing portions of Mbinguni Amina, this EP grabs your attention from the get-go and with GI JOE-like kung fu grip, doesn’t let go. And while I could individually describe how each song progresses through the EP, the idea in writing this review is to have people more musically inclined than I to listen and see just what David Maxim Micic can do. Fans of progressive metal and progressive music in general would do themselves a huge favor in giving this a try.

Weird Al Yankovic Mandatory FunKashiwa Daisuke/Koby Israelite Split
Casey Crescenzo Amour and AttritionKing Tears Bat Trip King Tears Bat Trip
Ata Ebtekar & Mazdak Khamda Sonic WithinExivious Liminal
BirthRite (4)
This is truth, this album is really good and everyone needs to here check the bandcamp link lat...

Bilo 3.0
recommended by reviewer
Sithu Aye Isles
Animals as Leaders Animals as Leaders

July 3rd 2012

12005 Comments

I had no business reviewing this but I really think people would enjoy it..

Rise and Shine (and rest of EP)- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_O9APjAvdl4

Digging: Kashiwa Daisuke - April. #02

July 3rd 2012

12005 Comments

Fuk it here's a link to the last EP too

July 4th 2012

Good ep. Both this and the previous ep can be streamed on his bandcamp page. You should post the link here Calc.

Digging: IQ - The Road of Bones

ZedO

yea, great ep!..

12005 Comments

YES!!! the fact that one person listened and liked it made this review not wasted lol

ZedO

haha, keep reviewing dude

BirthRite

for life

12005 Comments

I know its not up to your calibur Birth but I had to try...

1981 Comments

I've had this for a while, but sort of forgot about it for a little... David Maxim Micic never disappoints. This is amazing. Perhaps even 5 worthy, honestly.

Have a late game pos.

Digging: Rx Bandits - Gemini, Her Majesty

12005 Comments

yay my first review!! thanks man :] he has fuking 4 releases coming out next year but im just waitin for 3.0

swee

he has fuking 4 releases coming out next year but im just waitin for 3.0

Duuuuude I knoooow.

I think I heard some early demo sounds for 3.0 a while ago and they were pretty boss. Destiny Potato stuff sounds great too, though. I love Aleksandra's voice.

Omaha

this sounds sweet.

Digging: Deniro Farrar - Rebirth

1981 Comments

Omaha, you just need to pump "Rise and Shine" all day e'eryday.

January 2nd 2013

pump it, use your hand, grab the handle, and press

October 6th 2013

12005 Comments

at least the guy isn't dead, just playing sweet solos for djentcore bands.

AnimalsAsSummit
October 29th 2013

New album has a release date and shit

Digging: Downstate - Night Colour