Frank Ocean
Nostalgia, Ultra

by fromtheinside USER (130 Reviews)
July 4th, 2012 | 15 replies

Review Summary: frank ocean threw his ambitions at the wall and whatever didn’t stick he taped it up anyway and showed the world.

I’ve had a difficult relationship with Frank Ocean’s debut Nostalgia, Ultra since being bombarded with it not three months ago after scouring for more artists akin to Abel Tesfaye. It wasn’t until recently that it struck me as this being a natural comfort with what Ocean created; I get the feeling this is the way Ocean devised Nostalgia’s experience. This record isn’t meant to be broken down line by line because even he knows far from perfect and it’s probably meant that way. The man delivers a subtle hedonistic honesty beneath his verbose daydreams that swallow the surrounding world and let his words freehand you a new one. One where he meets women at hipster crowded concerts that seem to have just come down from an absorbing high with The Weeknd, and Muse’s who haunt libraries with a smile that’s all but toxic to our estranged painter. I say estranged because Ocean has a deft way of concocting his fantasies; in such a manner that separates him from his contemporaries with too much on their mind to actually, you know, fantasize. His organic flow hears him repeat words often as is if masquerading time in order to pick the perfect words to follow his sometimes unbalanced train of thought. It all aids a man who’s lost in his own self-awareness and indulgence. But Ocean’s biggest strength is the depth to his imagination. He saturates tracks with pristine ambiance and grooves that settle neatly with talks of bitches who don’t know Radiohead and questions of whether our flag is really on the moon; the gap between this material is easily bridged with these swirling atmospheres and tongue-in-cheek topics making the experience wholly human. And here’s where Ocean comes full circle. In the end Nostalgia, Ultra, from its blatantly obvious title to its creators’ dream car dawning the cover, represents a man finally achieving what he’s always wanted – to make music. Within this music he follows today’s jackpot trends - overly open hearted lyrics with a touch of cynicism and remorse and/or hope attached – and yet, beneath all that, brews a surprisingly relatable character in a world most of us have lived in just never thought the words to explain it. He sets himself up for failure, sometimes intentionally, but it’s all to build his resume and at least claim that ‘he tried’. This is quite enviable and partly the reason I can’t stomach too much of Nostalgia in one sitting. Not because it’s detestable, no far from it, but because it almost should be. Frank Ocean threw his ambitions at the wall and whatever didn’t stick he taped it up anyway and showed the world.

Norma Jean WrongdoersThe Contortionist Language
Code Orange I Am KingPyrrhon The Mother of Virtues
Cult Leader Nothing for Us HereChevelle La Gargola
Beram C. Lansay (2.5)
Immaturity in the form of R&B...

Joel Barish (4.5)
Odd Future's sexy side...

Channel Orange

fromtheinside

19165 Comments

really dig this if you can't tell

Digging: Techno Animal - The Brotherhood of the Bomb

mindleviticus
July 3rd 2012

To be honest, I didn't think this was a very good review. I didn't learn a single thing about
the artist or what the album sounded like at all. The only thing you've managed to do was give your
interpretation of what the album felt like to you. Was it hip hop? Was it R&B? What was it?

Secondly you should at least break this down into a few smaller paragraphs because
it looks sloppy and, if you do, it will be at least an enjoyable read. I'm sorry.

Could be worded a bit better and the I like the fact that your review isn't really that long, but at
least have something captivating about the sound.

RCKilm
July 3rd 2012

this isnt post hardcore what are you doing

PistolPete
July 3rd 2012

He doesn't take the site seriously anymore. It's hard to these days...

I really dig that one tyler, the creator song with this dude =)

someguest
July 3rd 2012

going by that album cover you'd think frank ocean was asian

Digging: Pet Shop Boys - Please

PistolPete
July 3rd 2012

I just don't get the album title, it's as random as the title of a Periphery song.

breakingthefragile
July 4th 2012

Damn, you seem a bit washed up lately dude. What the hell happened?

Digging: Molly Drake - Molly Drake

none
July 4th 2012

probably got a few too many dicks in da bum

JumpTheF**kUp
July 4th 2012

i feel like this review is supposed to be a joke

AtavanHalen

This is huge. HUGE.

Frank is coming out.

ShadowRemains

whoa bro

Quen
July 4th 2012

@atavan can you summarize that? tl;dr

JumpTheF**kUp
July 4th 2012

whoa, didn't see that coming

jimmykidd
July 4th 2012

just saw that on facebook. pretty huge stuff.

oltnabrick