Hodgy Beats
Untitled

good

by Kegel The Elf USER (3 Reviews)
July 4th, 2012 | 31 replies | 4,302 views

Review Summary: A promising release from Odd Future's least promising member...

There is a popular consensus among Sputnik's hip-hop community that Odd Future's own Hodgy Beats is the weakest and likewise most irksome rapper within the collective. However following this release, the very community that previously put down Hodgy, may have found reason to alter their views towards the young rapper. Hodgy Beats is not known for his flow, or lyrical prowess certainly. And one cannot deny that his frequently use of slant rhyme greatly hinders his already awkward flow. However as listeners surprisingly came to discover, Hodgy has matured since his previous release, and has found a way to use these shortcomings advantageously, thus crafting his "Untitled" EP.

The EP’s best feature and most enticing as well, is its length. At nine songs it only runs a seemingly dismal 20 minutes. Though for Hodgy Beats and those familiar with his work this is more than enough time. As I stated previously Hodgy has much difficulty crafting memorable, meaningful lyrics, and navigating through said lyrics with a smooth flow. However in short bursts, matched with brilliant production, Hodgy Beats can be a somewhat effective emcee, as the small time frame favors his more than imperfect rhyme schemes. In brief verses, and when rapping a short, simple song, Hodgy is actually quite entertaining as this release proves. Songs such as the bass riddled, "Bull***tin'" to the slow and calm vibe of, "If Heaven is a Ghetto", presents serious listeners with the perfect amount of Hodgy -not too much as we later heard on the OF Tape Vol 2, and not too little like his features on Tyler the Creator’s Goblin. Sadly, even though this ep was quite successful in the ears of many, to me it only enforced the fact that he is still the weakest rapper in the Flog Gnaw.

Hodgy still has much to learn and accomplish if he wants to be considered a great emcee and though this EP was a good start no doubt, it was just that, good, nothing spectacular. Unfortunately for Hodgy it will be quite the difficult task gaining much notoriety being the rapper he is as, he resides in a rap group whose members have dropped some of the most renowned releases of the previous decade (Earl & Bastard). And perhaps that is why OF fans and fans of the genre alike are so critical of Hodgy, as anything he -or any other member of Odd Future for that matter- releases will automatically be compared to the group’s best albums.

Like I said before though Hodgy is improving and finding his niche seemingly. His flow has bettered and his choice of beats was very wise for this EP as I aforementioned. Contributing producers such as Flying Lotus and Juicy J certainly do not disappoint, and made Hodgy’s weak flow more than tolerable with their amazing sounds. To conclude if you are looking for one of the better recent releases from Odd Future look no further as this will definitely keep you entertained for the better part of twenty minutes. Though there is not much replay value as no one track significantly stands out and leaves you yearning to return to this EP.

3.3

July 3rd 2012

Lonely all nighter= first review. SUP GIRLS!

July 4th 2012

hodgy shows the most promise if anything, man.

Tyrael

you're a monster

but I agree that OF sucks

SWAGSWAGSWAG

July 4th 2012

"hodgy shows the most promise if anything, man."
i respect that, but how so? i mean mike g and domo imo have the most potential based upon their previous releases.

July 4th 2012

"A promising release from Odd Future's least promising member..."

I disagree with this.

July 4th 2012

do you disagree with the entire fragment or just part of it?

"least promising member"

I completely disagree with that. In fact, I believe Hodgy is up there with Frank Ocean and Earl, but that's just me.

Blackbelt54

I don't get the Hodgy hate I mean BLACKENEDWHITE is one of OF's better releases

July 4th 2012

"Though there is not much replay value as no one track significantly stands out and leaves you a yearning to return to this EP."

Also wtf, have you not heard Cookie Coma?

chesse13
July 4th 2012

i really like the sounds going on in ave

Quen
July 4th 2012

can we at least all agree tyler is a cuntbag

MalleusMaleficarum

well ya

July 4th 2012

Who the fuck is Quen whenever I see him post it's usually something shitty and dumb as hell.

ZedO

funny cover art

sniper
July 4th 2012

this is probably the best thing to come from anyone in the OF clan. earl is aight too and tyler has some tracks but this is solid as hell and nowhere near as embarrassingly attention-seeking as most of the shit they put out.

edit: btw, this is a good first review, have a pos.

July 4th 2012

"...nowhere near as embarrassingly attention-seeking as most of the shit they put out."

"btw, this is a good first review, have a pos."

goop point, and thank you. that's why i enjoy domo and mike g so much, their rap is certainly less, "attention seeking", then say tyler's and thus, easier to listen to. though their lp's were better than this imo.

SMOKE MY WEED LIKE EVERYDAY NIGGAS STILL GOT SHIT TO SAY