Crimson Glory
Crimson Glory

by Antonius USER (27 Reviews)
July 1st, 2012 | 35 replies

Release Date: 1986 | Tracklist

Review Summary: A great debut

I have a special feeling when it comes to debut albums because I believe they say a lot about a specific band. It is the same phrase as we use in the every-day life that 'the first impression is the best impression'. That being the case, Crimson Glory left me one of the best impressions when I heard their self-titled album. Their technical expertise and talent unwinds within fourty minutes and before this masterpiece ends you impatiently wait for their next work. Their sound is both raw and rough enough to carry away the listener who has never heard of them before, while those who are familiar with the band are still wondering how they didn't stand the test of time.

Midnight's voice deserves a lengthy paragraph by itself, however I will stick to the basics. From the first moments of the album it's becoming apparent that this is a unique, god-sent voice which is rarely found. It is the characteristic that draws attention and can perform even the highest notes with such an easiness which makes you wonder if this is real or a studio effect. Simply amazing.

''Dragon Lady'', ''Azrael'' and ''Lost Reflection'' are the key moments in my opinion here. The first one contains the required electricity in order to embed you it's catchy refrain, while ''Azrael'' begins with soft touches on the acoustic guitar and results in a monstrous song with great riffs and a groovy bass line. The last one, which is also the closing song of the album, has such an emotion and thrill that results into Midnight giving a recital of vocal abilities. It is a dark and gruesome ballad with a creepy tone which can nail anyone. Without wanting to push aside the rest songs, I should mention the simplicity of ''Angels of War'', the mysticism of ''Queen of the Masquerade'', the dynamic behind ''Heart of Steel'' and the attractive solo in my favourite ''Valhalla''.

Having as their primary target the creation of the right atmosphere, the band sacrifices the fast speeds in order to keep a mid-tempo throughout the album. Effectively, this makes the album appearing more solid. There are two reasons in my opinion that drives this album a bit away from perfection: first, the song ''Mayday'' had nothing to do with the whole album and I believe it would be better if it was avoided and secondly, the fact that production could have been much better and thus lift it to the top level. Despite these facts, it is an absolute must for any metal collection.

The Aristocrats Culture ClashJames La Petite Mort
Rival Sons Great Western ValkyrieRoyal Blood Out of the Black
Radio Moscow Radio MoscowBoston Life, Love & Hope

jopower
July 1st 2012

Hail - to the queen of the masquerade
Deep in your heart she feeds

Nice review for an awesome album. Also, Mayday is a good song, and it definitely deserves to be on the album.

Dream Dancer, the bonus track, is really good too.

Thanks Jo.
Indeed HAIL to the queen of the masquerade is one of my favourite lines as well

July 1st 2012

Album is good but Transcendence is definitely a step forward.
Have a pos.

Digging: Funebrarum - The Sleep of Morbid Dreams

KjSwantko
July 1st 2012

Jeez trap I'm surprised you only 3'd this. I actually haven't heard it yet, gonna have to give it a listen.

Cheers Kj.
Well album's ok. Give it a try, you'll probably dig it more than I.

July 1st 2012

I'm surprised as well trap. Come on give it somethin more dude don't be so strict

July 1st 2012

I never was a die hard fan of this Antonius, I find the songwriting here too generic but I will give it another spin this week, probably I'll upgrade my rating here.

July 1st 2012

Pos man I'm really glad that you reviewed these two albums.

Siamois
July 1st 2012

I am ashamed to say this is a classic I have never heard. The only Crimson Glory record I have ever listened to is Astronomica, which is decent but nothing special.

Is this much better?

Parallels

prog metal

+1 rspct

July 2nd 2012

Siamois you have to listen both Crimson Glory and Transcendence. Nothing similar to their next albums!

Siamois

Cool Antonius, I will give it a try

ksoflas
October 13th 2012

Have a pos cause your the boss!
Solid review for a solid album.

October 25th 2012

thanx dude! Nase kala patrida! Perimeno kialla dika sou reviews!

October 25th 2012

??????????

Digging: Throwing Muses - Throwing Muses

dude this rocks

KjSwantko
June 14th 2013

Damn I still haven't ever listened to this; probably should since I love Transcendence.

I think you'll appreciate Crimson Glory more dude