Brotherhood Of The Lake
Desperation Is The English Way: Vol. 1

by Simon B. AKA Sputs OFFICIAL Pooh Bear USER (15 Reviews)
June 29th, 2012 | 26 replies | 3,095 views

Review Summary: The missing link between Shai Hulud and Coalesce that got lost in the bass.

On a rainy –not so long ago- day, when I was laying down in my comfy sofa while reading a book, something happened. The last album I was listening had just ended and then ‘it’ happened. The next song started to play and at the same time I noticed the ground starting to shake a bit, as well as the books in my bookshelf and the woofer of my sound system (which was moving at a speed it hasn’t been doing for quite some time). Out of my speaker came a band that sounded similar to Coalesce, Shai Hulud and even 7 Angels 7 Plagues. But the thing that really grasped my attention was the production, the gritty, bass-heavy, dirty production this band was using.

The album that started playing was “Desperation Is The English Way: Vol. 1” by Brotherhood Of The Lake, a band reigning from Plymouth and currently existing out of the following members;
  • Vocals: Robert Clark
  • Guitar: Rusty Cleave
  • Guitar: Grant Jenness
  • Bass: Anthony Thornton
  • Drums: Daniel Thornton

Blackened Crust Metalcore, that’s how these guys describe their sound on their facebook page. And it’s a fitting description if you really would want to label them correctly. Brotherhood Of The Lake sounds like the missing link between the melodic metalcore from Shai Hulud and the more complex metalcore band Coalesce, only mixed up with the production from a band like Celeste. Being a ‘crust’ band the bass is also pushed up highly in the mix and the songs are structured a lot more around the bass than the guitar. But, don’t go thinking they slacked off in the guitar or drumming department! All instruments are filled with energy and are usually doing some pretty tasteful things.

Seeing the comparison to the aforementioned bands, one should not be surprised that this is a very aggressive, angry record. Everything about the albums just screams this; The cover, the song titles, the lyrics, the production and above all, the vocals. Robert Clark utilizes a low-tuned scream or shout throughout the entire album, something reminiscent of what you would expect to hear in a hardcore band like Pulling Teeth. He has a very powerful voice and certainly brings the lyrics (that cover subjects like depression, desperation, religion and suicide) in a fashion they should be delivered. Sadly Clark’s vocal range is nothing to write home about, and gets pretty monotony’s if it wasn’t for the occasional background support. Luckily the album length is pretty short; with only 26 minutes nothing really drags or gets irritating. And while 26 minute might seem rather weak for an LP it’s 26 minutes of quality, no filler to be found what so ever.

However, when the initial surprise of the bass started to wear, I came to the conclusion this is ‘just’ metalcore. Metalcore of a band that clearly found inspiration in bands like Shai Hulud and Coalesce but never quite reaches the same level of quality. Despite this, Brotherhood Of The Lake has delivered an excellent album, one that should appeal to every metalcore or hardcore fan. Whilst the album is devoid of the plagues often found in other albums of the same genre, it’s still haunted by its own share of problems, but none of those come close to ruining the experience. I fear the usual “rise record” fan might not be so pleased by this brand of metalcore, but for those who enjoy metalcore in the vein of Cave In, 7 Angels 7 Plagues, the aforementioned Shai Hulud and Coalesce, or people who just love a loud bass will have field day with this album! 4/5

Recommended songs:
  • The World To Me
  • Too Bleak
  • Hope For Nothing

The Great Old Ones Tekeli-LiNAMI The Eternal Light of the Unconscious Mind
So Hideous Last Poem/First LightCsejthe Reminiscence
Obsidian Kingdom MantiisThe Elijah I Loved I Hated I Destroyed I Created

June 29th 2012

Damn forgot to prove read..

Anyway album for those who enjoy the pre-2006 metalcore or a heavy bass influenced sound. great metalcore and will surely be in my top of 2012.

Digging: Plebeian Grandstand - Lowgazers

Colliiiin
June 29th 2012

Sweet review, definitely gonna check this out because of it. Also I love Coalesce and Shai Hulud.

Digging: Majority Rule - Interview With David Frost

June 29th 2012

hmm i will check this out

Digging: Xanthochroid - Blessed He With Boils

Hep Kat
June 29th 2012

i think i heard this band and they were aight. might check this album out

but seriously to all hardcore bands: stop putting fucking pictures of houses on your album covers

Digging: Fucked Up - Year of the Dragon

June 29th 2012

I think you'd like it Flutter.

June 29th 2012

yeah i've heard a few songs on youtube, its pretty sick. the bass is hard as fuck m/

June 29th 2012

Too bleak and especially the last song kick some major ass.

TBliss2
June 29th 2012

Cool review dude. Love this band.

June 29th 2012

Great to see! Band needs more exposure.

wacknizzle

11909 Comments

Good review, this really needed one. You don't hear metalcore like this much anymore.

Digging: Fall of Efrafa - Inle

BirthRite
June 29th 2012

"Damn forgot to prove read"

reverse psychology

June 29th 2012

nah really forgot it, can't edit typos (or is the edit option back working again?)

yeah it is

June 29th 2012

Okay fixed the typos I saw, just notify me of others I missed.

fish.

20204 Comments

Heard about this, wasn't sure whether to listen or not.

Digging: YG - My Krazy Life

do it

Spec
June 29th 2012

All the good band names must have run out.

Irving
June 29th 2012

Album title reminds me of the Floyd lol.

Digging: Caleb McAlpine - All Things New

June 30th 2012

More people need to check this shit out.

TBliss2