Athletics
Who You Are Is Not Enough

by CaptainDooRight USER (93 Reviews)
June 27th, 2012 | 67 replies

Review Summary: The Past is Still Present

Athletics are an ambient/indie/post-rock band from New Jersey who plays some very interesting and emotive styles of airy drafts. With the release of their second LP “Who You Are Is Not Enough”, we are taken through some personal and relatable lyrics that touch on feelings of inadequacy and contempt. “I am not enough. I’m not the demons in your lungs. And I am not enough to make amends with life or love. All that was done, you have failed to capture us” are some of the common lyrical passages you will come across which fits the music cohesively. Persistent with its theme, the music is soft and fits mellow moods quite well. At times you’ll hear the common post-rock’esq tremolos that build over a backdrop of soothing minimalistic synths and occasional electronic reverse effects. The vocals fit very well and the use of soft sung moments only adds to the emotions and whether the lyrics touch you or not, it’s hard to deny the important role they play in builds and crescendos. As in the intro track, “I”, the vocalist can be heard blending his voice from soft to a slight yell/scream that parallels the build as distorted guitars jump in after ambient layers progress.

The relatively short runtime of 30 minutes is well fitted as certain musical aspects tend to reach sustainable heights without any other track attempting to supersede the other. The runtime allows for the album to be more cohesive, rather than drawn out track after tracks that goes nowhere, which I thought was a smart choice for this type of music. The longest track “II” takes “Who You Are is Not Enough” the furthest as the middle part seems like it’s going to end, but, well placed soft-melodic guitar licks are re-introduced which allow for a type of progressive nature that lances the silence into a perfect canvas. This allows the vocals and bass guitar to slowly build up to another opportunity to fully impress the choral words of “Speak spoken love, offer nothing from your heart”.

These common slow builds are ever present throughout “Who You Are is Not Enough”. They feel like soft waves that one would feel while floating in a calm ocean with occasional stronger swells that break the monotony. Track “IV” is a good example of this wavering formula but it also adds a bit of a tender feel with staccato guitar plucks that at the same time, feel like it could be raining above your head as your floating, buoyant, in a sea of emotions. The closer “V” follows the same suite but fully uses a piano that favors the reducing-classical side and fits the whole story together as you’re concluding with the words of “Time may heal the deepest wounds, but a severed limb is gone for good. My love died with you. I should have died with you. I would have died for you.” This ending fully solidifies that this album is about the loss of a loved one which I’m sure we can all relate to in one way or another, which also at the same time makes this album rather depressive and there are no real words for hope or furtherance to balance out the melancholy.

“Who You Are Is Not Enough” never tries to be over the top or push musical passages further than it needs to, rather, the mood and feel speaks for itself and the emotions are where this album truly succeeds. The musical approach could have been taken further to make this more enjoyable but at the same time many will feel fully satisfied once they’ve taken the journey from A-Z. Athletics will be known for a band that truly is not afraid to express their deepest inner thoughts as well as moving musical ideas that fit their destinations perfectly.

Dropped Flyer Electronic CigaretteAbacus Abacus
Van der Graaf Generator Pawn HeartsFinch (NL) Beyond Expression
Orwell AVOHFASIHOdyssey (USA) An Abstract Existence

Free Download

Shuyin

12062 Comments

sounds cool, downloading now.

good review, dude m/

alachlahol
June 27th 2012

surprised this review wasnt plagiarized

minty901

2084 Comments

awesome, i wasn't expecting someone to review this. was thinking of doing this myself actually. will read it now...

June 27th 2012

@ Shuyin - Thanks man, I could see you poss digging this.

@ Minty - yeah this was a good find, cool let me know what you think

BirthRite
June 27th 2012

Finally a decent review, this might be good, lol I don't know about indie with my post-rock but ok

seedofnothing
June 27th 2012

Good review as always Captain. This looks gonna, and nice to see a free dl for it.

BirthRite
June 27th 2012

yup i was wrong, sounds good

Kellerdeck
June 27th 2012

Pos'd because I like you.

Thanks Birth and Seed.

Haha thanks Keller, you rev'd Caravan so that's auto love bro :]

minty901

2084 Comments

cool review. this album's great. a bit short and doesn't have a lot of variety, but it works when you consider it's one song. too much variety would have made it less cohesive. of all the 30-minute songs i've heard, this is one of the best.

athletics aren't quite as charming or creative as moving mountains were, but they're definitely as close as we're going to get to indie/emo-infused post-rock perfection. production is solid, singing is note-perfect and heartfelt. III is my favourite song, but thats probably because i've heard it so many more times than the others (being the lead "single").

to anyone looking at this band, start here, it's SO much better than their debut. their debut had great individual songs but it wasn't anywhere near as compelling as this.

there we go... i don't need to do a review now lol.

same

seedofnothing
June 27th 2012

yeah this is really good, about half way through now

June 27th 2012

cool, glad you're digging it

KatatoNick
June 27th 2012

It's weird that this review came up now, as I only put this album on my 'to listen' list earlier today.

A couple of grammatical errors, but overall a nice review!

June 27th 2012

that's how we do it, but thanks bro

twlichty
June 27th 2012

awesome to see a review for this, good work man.

and the fact that is free adds to my excitement

Digging: HRVRD - From the Bird's Cage

thanks man :] and agreed

June 28th 2012

Good review will hear.

Omaha
June 28th 2012

Sweet album, will probably also review

Digging: Thou - Heathen