Zelienople
The World Is A House On Fire

by Sobhi Youssef EMERITUS
June 27th, 2012 | 95 replies | 8,972 views

Review Summary: The ultimate come-down anthem

Among other things, public music ratings aggregator Rateyourmusic.com labels Zelienople as the mouthful that is Slowcore, Drone, Psychedelic Folk, Ambient, Avant-Folk, Free Improvisation, and Dark Ambient. I won't pretend to be an expert on their history, but a discography that stakes claim to such an eclectic range of genre categorizations has definitely precipitated its share of evolution throughout the years. Mechanically, The World Is A House On Fire seems to touch on most of these things, but it all happens under the guise of a hazey, reduced BPM incarnation of shoegaze. The record is washed in enough echo and reverb to rival My Bloody Valentine; when combined with a hint of feedback and brushed snare, just the opening two minutes of "The Southern" are enough to prep for the journey ahead.

The most impressive piece of Zelienople's work is how its minimal instrumentation and gentle techniques can pervade such a lush, moody atmosphere. They use percussion in the loosest definition of the term; it ends up being less of a classic rhythmic device so much as the sonic binding agent. Sometimes it seems the snare morphs into a natural extension of the synthesizer - a microcosm for how cohesive the record is in that every part, no matter what it is or how subtle, makes a singular impact on the overall composition. In a similar sense, the implementation of negative space between reverberated notes accomplishes the very same thing.

The drone label plays through in force, yet the tempo doesn't stay where one might expect a-la more traditional genre denizens like Earth for example. "Island Machine" could almost be confused for standard slowcore fare in direct comparison to anything from The Bees Made Honey in the Lion's Skull, for example. It's this very lack of a defined musical border that makes The World Is A House on Fire what it is - a sprawling, minimal experiment that isn't afraid of melody or movement. Zelienople have crafted the ultimate come-down anthem; I for one am excited to explore their back catalog in full.

Nacho Picasso and Avatar Darko VampsterdamGorguts Colored Sands
Run the Jewels Run the JewelsThe-Dream IV Play
James Blake OvergrownTyler the Creator Wolf
Attis (4)
How did we get here?...

better ask trix (5)
There won't be a better album this year, next year, or maybe even the year after that....

carouse
June 26th 2012

I need to give this more time to sink in, but I could see it growing to be one of my favorites this year, it's very intriguing.
Fantastic review as well, I agree wholeheartedly; and yes, it's certainly difficult to make sense of the mish-mash of genres here.

Hyperion1001
June 26th 2012

i think this is great but it needs time to settle

Digging: Syndrone - Salmataxia

June 26th 2012

Oh shit, had no idea there was a new one.

Electric City
June 26th 2012

ugh, sobhi, there's so much more to this =(

Digging: Alvvays - Alvvays

June 27th 2012

Review doesn't tell me anything I didn't know except there's a slowcore-ish track.

June 27th 2012

Sorry Adam, I don't like to write thesis papers on music like some people :]. Go ahead though if you'd like!

June 27th 2012

@eternium, then you probably shouldn't be reading a review on this record, right?

June 27th 2012

I haven't listened to the album yet.

trix4dix

DeafMetal

mount eerie 4 sure

Spare
June 27th 2012

haven't heard but i am certain it is a five outta five

rasputin

album rules

June 27th 2012

He let them have a head start

treeqt.
June 27th 2012

this actually sounds very interesting
will give it a listen

Digging: Luigi Nono - A Pierre; Quando stanno morendo;

MyWife

false album

Xenophanes
June 27th 2012

Been eyeing this for awhile