Captain Beyond
Captain Beyond

by Antonius USER (26 Reviews)
June 25th, 2012 | 125 replies | 5,539 views

Release Date: 1972 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Sublime riffing

If Captain Beyond continued at the same levels as they did in their debut album, now we would be talking about a legendary band. Besides, the band's composition had the stature of a super-group: Rod Evans (ex-Deep Purple) on vocals, Larry ''Rhino'' Reinhardt and Lee Dorman (ex-Iron Butterfly) on guitars and bass respectively, while Bobby Caldwell (ex-Johnny Winter) was behind the drum set. Of course many bands existed (and continue to exist) that start their career with the greatest of expectations and eventually they disappointed. That was surely the case for Captain Beyond, however, before they let us down they managed to leave behind a remarkable album. It is extremely difficult for me to determine the exact genre of this album since it has a variety of characteristics ranging from psychedelic/blues/hard/acid and progressive rock and this can be ascertained by a careful hearing.

A remarkable characteristic of this album is that although it is not a concept one, the songs have a remarkable coherence between them. I don't want to comment on the individual songs because the specific work has to be heard in its completeness in order to be evaluated correctly. If not, the meaning and a lot of the virtues that the songs possess would be lost. ''Dancing Madly Backwards'', ''Armworth'' and ''Myopic Void'' which are the first three songs, segue each other and are all based on the same catchy riff which rotates in between the three. In this way, a tremendous smoothness is created and the listener thinks that it is one song while in reality are three individual ones. The same scene is met in another two instances between ''Thousand Days of Yesterdays''/''Frozen Over''/''Time Since Come and Gone'' and in ''I Can't Feel Nothing''/As the Moon Speaks''/''Astral Lady''/''As the Moon Speaks (Return)''/''I Can't Feel Nothing (Part 2)'', which basically are all the remaining songs.

I found the way that the band treated the songs extremely clever. They had managed to open 'themes' where they were setting up the scene, creating the atmosphere for the next song to enter, finish that song and then came back to finish what was left undone of the previous one. Overall, it's a very groovy album with skillful drums and at the same time beautiful guitar melodies. I believe that in order to be appreciated it has to be listened some times first. It may not impress from the first moment but I think that as long as you keep listening it becomes better and better.

James La Petite MortRival Sons Great Western Valkyrie
Royal Blood Out of the BlackRadio Moscow Radio Moscow
Boston Life, Love & HopeThe Temperance Movement The Temperance Movement
4.2

SteelErectedb4you8er
June 25th 2012

Holy shit, this wasn't reviewed yet? Damn, this is one of my favorite records. So so so underrated. Nice review. It is an album that must be listened to in his entirety.

JamieTwort

20363 Comments

Great stuff. Props for reviewing this.

Inveigh
June 25th 2012

hell yeah, my dad played me his original copy of this when I was a mere teenager. big ups to my old man for introducing me to bands like this and Uriah Heep at a young age.

Digging: YOB - Clearing The Path To Ascend

Captain who?

bro this looks sick, gonna check hard. Sounds familiar and I've prolly heard it before because my dad like Inveigh's introduced me to prog/rock/blues/jazz at a very young age as well.

Pos hard.

Digging: Tukaaria - Raw to the Rapine

evilford
June 25th 2012

sooooo many captains in one thread uhhh I'm dizzy

Digging: Spina Bifida - Ziyadah

Underflow
June 25th 2012

This album furiously pummels anuses.

June 30th 2012

Ah damn, I wanted to review this one!

Anyways, one of the best records I've ever heard.

Antonius

July 27th 2012

Pretty good album.

OmairSh
November 19th 2012

Some INCREDIBLE riffs here, and doubled with THAT guitar tone, mama mia

Digging: Paco de Lucia - El Duende Flamenco

SgtPepper
January 31st 2013

POS'd!
This album is amazing. I love this band.

Digging: Shabazz Palaces - Lese Majesty

February 1st 2013

I can't get over how good this is. The vocals are great, and the instrumentation is beyond words.

Antonius
February 15th 2013

Glad to introduce it to you guys!

pissbore
March 5th 2013

easily the greatest album ever recorded

pissbore
March 22nd 2013

agreed

Underflow
March 22nd 2013

Dominating album right here.